Sunrise Park Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 866 students

Sunrise Park Elementary has something for everybody!

Posted June 5, 2014

What a wealth of misinformation the previous poster (5/31/14) has written. If you are unhappy with the school that is your prerogative and perception but please do not speak for all the teachers and parents. We have proudly worked at SPES for many years and are neither seeking a transfer nor considering early retirement (even if it were an option). The present administration is nothing short of amazing. She has the best interests of the teachers and students when she made the decision to protect the students from the prying eyes of parents during core instruction. As teachers we do not need parents observing us during instruction and going back into the community to critique us. Even more importantly, children s privacy needs to be protected as well. The grouping of students is confidential. We do not know what statistics this poster has regarding private school and Morakami (determined by lottery) but we suggest that it is all in the opinion of the writer and not based on data. Yes, this school is not what it used to be because if it were we would be stagnant. Education is changing and Sunrise Park is rising to the higher expectations of a changing world.

Posted May 31, 2014

The principal is singlehanded lye destroying what used to be a great school! Parents used to be welcome with open arms, but now the words, " we want you in the classroom" are said, but parents are banned for the greater part of the day. The principal has no respect for parents. She snaps at them, yells, and makes nasty comments. She also yells at teachers in front of everyone. It seems no one really understands the reading program. The school enrollment is down because kids go to Morikami or private school rather than go here. For the first time in years, teachers are requesting transfers or taking early retirement. My advice, send your child to another school if you can!

Posted May 30, 2014

Thought this school would be so much more than what it's turned out to be. Very disappointing.

Posted January 14, 2014

My son transferred to Sunrise this year in 4th grade after a school career filled with falling through the cracks at his other school, despite our continual voiced concerns with his behavior. He was given a 504 for his ADHD at his old school that was never even followed. He was then diagnosed with mild Asperger's syndrome and transferred at the start of 4th grade. He loved Sunrise immediately, as did we. The principal is wonderful and has an ESE background and his teacher has been nothing but supportive and open with issues at home and/or at school. He is in a positive supportive environment with excellent supplemental pullouts as needed and he is thriving for the first time. His self confidence has soared, he has friends and we always know his teachers are looking out for his best interests and they are always available to talk to about concerns. Best move we ever made was to Sunrise Park!

Posted January 7, 2014

Sunrise Park Elementary School continues its tradition of excellence. The leadership of the principal and the effectiveness and commitment of the teaching staff are outstanding.

Posted January 7, 2014

This school is fantastic! Student behavior there is not much of a problem and the school has numerous programs. If your child has trouble learning, they can learn in a slow pace class. I have mixed feelings on the teachers there. All of the teachers are sweet and have a love for kids but some are too inexperienced and don't teach right. At the school there is a club for every kid and a friend for every kid. The school is a safe place with good lunch and well-kept grounds,

Posted January 3, 2014

caring teachers and responsible principle I am happy they way than managing and running it My daughter in second grade

Posted October 29, 2013

This school has the absolute best ESE teacher on the planet. Anna Lillie has such a way with this special population, it's unbelievable. We need more like her!

Posted October 29, 2013

The Best Group of Teachers led by the most awesome principal! They are doing a fantastic job, keep up the hard work boys and girls, ladies and gentlemen!

Posted October 28, 2013

Sunrise Park has a dedicated and professional team lead by Principal Alicia Steiger. They are known locally for a staff and faculty that goes above and beyond the normal to provide a top level education to our students. In addition the very active parents contribute over 12,000 volunteer hours each year assisting with book fairs, picture days, car line, school fair and more. SPES partners with community agencies to offer such services as mentors for students, grief camp, a reading therapy dog, grandparents in the classroom, and more. Clubs and activities range from self defense, running club and Samaritans to Color Me Happy, Student Council and Art Club.

Posted October 27, 2013

Great school with great teachers! Students are challenged and the parents are very involved. My children have been very successful.

Posted October 26, 2013

Sunrise Park is the BEST school in Palm Beach County! We have a phenomenal staff who is truly dedicated to the individual success of each and every Sunrise Park student. We offer an enrichment program for our primary aged students. Our ESE department is top notch and offers students a variety of services and options to meet their diverse and specific needs. We are an "A" rated school and the proud recipient of the prestigious 5 STAR AWARD by the Florida Department of Education for eight consecutive years. This award is due to the efforts of our AMAZING PTA organization. If you want to be involved in your child's school, Sunrise Park Elementary is the school for you! It's truly a team effort at Sunrise Park. SPES ROCKS!

Posted October 26, 2013

Sunrise Park elementary school has the most amazing staff and teachers. I am so lucky to be a part of this school with both my children. They are there for me to help with my child's needs and work to help make them both successful. It's a team that is fully committed. I will be sad when it's my time to go. SPES rocks!!

Posted October 26, 2013

I am a very proud and dedicated teacher at sunrise park elementary., and might I also add, a parent of two girls who attended our fabulous school while their sensitive teachers every year met their needs beyond my expectations! You should know that the community within our little school flows and functions like a close and caring family , as well as a top notch A + school made up of dedicated educators and administration. Quite honestly, our principal Mrs. Alecia Steiger never ceases to amaze me with her heartfelt care and concern for her staff and ultimately the kiddos! With my 18 years of teaching experience I have been fortunate to open our sunrise park elementary school and sandpiper shores elementary in our west Boca community. I've resided here and raised my girls here and would like to let others know how very happy you will be when you enroll your children at Sunrise Park Elementary! I welcome you and your family with open arms. Ms. Ivy Soffin second grade teacher.

Posted October 21, 2013

I recently moved here from NY and although my chid was in G&T there, we opted for our local school, Sunrise Park. Best decision! My child's teacher is an amazing, kind educator that challenges her in all subject areas. I was nervous about the Florida public school system because I didn't know much about it, I am more than pleased with my decision. This school also has a wonderful PTA that has so many fun activities all the time for the students. Bottom line...my daughter has adjusted so well and absolutely loves going to school everyday. Looking forward to the same experience with my younger child next year.

Posted October 2, 2013

Amazing teachers and leadership at SPES! The atmosphere at Sunrise Park is positive, warm, and inviting! The Principal and Assistant Principal are caring and support all students successes and achievements!

Posted October 2, 2013

I have a child in 2nd grade and he has been going to the school since kindergarten. We move to West Boca Raton in 2009, from East Boca. We research all of the schools in the area and found Sunrise Park to be an A rated school. My personal experience with the school for the past 2 years, has been wonderful. The principal and the vice principal are amazing and have all the children best interest in hand. The teachers are wonderful and the parents involvement is awesome. SPES also has a wonderful PTA board and volunteers who do GREAT things for the kids and staff!

Posted October 2, 2013

This school is amazing. I have a 3rd grader and 2nd grader, both of them absolutely love it. The teachers here are top notch! The Principal and Assistant Principal truly care about every single child at Sunrise Park. Parent support is great! The staff in the front office is knowledgeable and so friendly. You feel like a big family coming into Sunrise Park. I personally wouldn't go anywhere else! I couldn't be happier with how my children are thriving!

Posted September 19, 2013

Recently moved to Florida. Started my son in 1st grade here. Trying to give it some time hoping that the school becomes what I expected it would be according to what I was reading, but my patience is growing thin. There is very little communication, I have no idea if my sons homework is being checked or not, my notes to the teacher aren't being replied to, I'm also not sure if the spelling words he is being given to be tested at the end of the week are being reviewed anywhere else but at home. I'd also like to add that my sons personality has been very different sunce entering this school, and not for the better. Maybe it's just the teacher... Maybe not. Who knows at this point. At this particular point in time, I know I regret moving my child to this school. Here's hopes for something to change my mind and put me at ease.

Posted May 29, 2013

For the parent moving from North Fl, we moved to Boca 3 years ago from VA. My daughter is completing 3rd grade, her first at Sunrise, and her 3rd school in 4 years (moving had more to do with this than the school itself, but she did go to Sandpiper for the past 2 years). I am proud to say Sunrise is a big improvement. Her teacher is awesome, well-organized. I have seen her leadership as a class volunteer multiple times. I have also met with my daughter's special teacher - very nice and "with it." This school has its act together!

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

152 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

153 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

157 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

157 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

155 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

142 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 5%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Battle of the Books winner in the South Area, SDPBC (2012)
Community service awards received in the past 3 years
  • Five Star School (2013)
  • WPTV Class Act Award, Sunrise Samaritans (2012)

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer lab

• School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields

Gifted & talented

• Acceleration

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Mrs. Alicia Steiger
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Fax number
  • (561) 477-4350

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• Direct instruction
  • Enrichment Grades K-1 FY 2013-2014
  • Individually guided instruction
  • Virtual school
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• None
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Special education coordinator
  • Remediation
  • Tutoring
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • Transportation provided for special education students only
  • Access to sports fields
  • Music room
  • Performance stage
  • Playground
  • Science lab
Partnerships with local resources and organizations
  • Youth Service Bureau

Sports

Boys sports
  • After sports programs
Girls sports
  • fee based after school program

Arts & music

Performing arts
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom