No rating

Grandview Preparatory School

Private | PK-12 | 250 students

Grandview is best known for personalized education and service learning

Living in Boca Raton

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $232,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,190.

Posted September 30, 2013

Grandview Preparatory School is an exceptional private school. While there is a rigorous academic program at Grandview, the emphasis is on the capabilities of each individual student. The teachers are always available to discuss a student's progress and respond to emails promptly. The teachers and staff really care about each and every student. Teachers will provide extra help after school if necessary. There are fair disciplinary rules, and procedures in place. Students are given every chance to succeed. The principal, Jaqueline Westerfield, is an outstanding leader who guides the teachers and staff in a professional manner. The parents are given the chance to get involved in GAP, volunteer activities and in other ways. Grandview is a close-knit caring group of teachers, students, parents and staff that are not only focused on excelling in academics, but in personal development and moral character as well.

Posted September 30, 2013

It is an honor and a privilege to be able to write about Grandview Preparatory School in Boca Raton, FL. They provide a setting that enables each child to develop into the best person he or she can be. They provide a setting that goes way beyond the class room. They make sure that each individual is not just prepared for college but prepared for life. I believe the biggest critics in the world with regards to any educational institution are the students themselves. When asking my son how do you like Grandview, his answer was simple " I love it".

Posted September 27, 2013

There is no other school like Grandview in Boca. Exceptional staff and the campus is beautiful. This school goes beyond basic academics and really focuses on the child as a whole. Their character virtue program this year is amazing and they are always looking for new and exciting ways to teach the students. One of our favorite things is the House Color system. This bridges the gap between the lower and upper schools and the kids love it! We've been here 3 years and we are very pleased.

Posted September 27, 2013

Grandview has done amazing thing for my children. Their curriculum and other activities are superior to other schools. But, the most important is the kindness of every single person at Grandview. My children love Grandview Prep!

Posted September 27, 2013

I have been an employee at Grandview for 8 years. In addition to being an employee, my granddaughter is enrolled here in the 9th grade. She has been here since 3rd grade. Grandview has allowed her to flourish as a student and as a person. Her teachers through the years have been outstanding in, not only their teaching methods, but personally as well. They are all compassionate, understanding, helpful when needed, and care about their students. My granddaughter always tells me that she adores her teachers and she loves being a student at Grandview. In addition to the academics, Grandview has the most amazing dance program, arts program, performing arts program and offers private music instruction as well. We have a Director of Guidance who is absolutely incredible with her knowledge and expertise in guiding our high school students as they prepare for their college years. As a staff person at Grandview, it is a pleasure to work with all the people who make up the Grandview family. And that is how we feel about Grandview. We are a family. If you are looking for the right school for your child, please visit us at www.grandviewprep.net.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted September 27, 2013

We have two young boys ages 4 and 5 and started them both at the same time at Grandview Preperatory School (GPS) earlier this year. We chose GPS because we were looking for a school whose focus is on community as much as it is on academics. We fell in love right away after meeting the teachers, administration, and also other parents who had kids attending GPS. Since starting the school year we have been impressed on every level, but the most important validation for us has been the feedback from our two precious boys. Out of the blue, they remind us again and again how much they love school, their teachers and friends. They are enjoying the challenging atmosphere that is provided in a loving environment. This is a small school and your child will not get lost in the focus but become and integral part of what the school believes in, and that's character. We look forward to many productive and enriching years and being an active part of the community. Sincerely, Ianca Flores

Posted September 27, 2013

Grandview Prep (GVP) is an outstanding school-highly engaged teachers, involved parents, strong athletics & extracurricular activities all set on a safe, beautiful campus. My daughter graduated from GVP in 2012 and my son, who has attended since his Freshman year, is currently a Sr. Throughout their lives we have moved several times so we have experience with different schools. I've seen the difference a school can make in my kids lives. As a parent I wanted my children to attend a school that helps bring out the best they can be in all facets of life - academics, social, sports, ethics, communication - all important. My kids were average students until they enrolled at Grandview. My daughter graduated 2nd in her class and is now in her 2nd year at a highly ranked university. She was well prepared. My son is ranked similarly in his class. I never had to "coerce" them to do schoolwork; the teachers evoke an enthusiasm in them I had never seen before. Perhaps more important, I have seen them grow into genuinely good, confident young adults. I have to credit GVP's leadership, teachers and community for that. I'm fortunate to have found GVP for my children.

Posted September 27, 2013

We just wanted to write a review to let everyone know how grateful to be part of Grandview. We have the best experience ever with our three children. Academically ( best education ) We have moved around a lot our kids attended many different public and private schools, Grandview have the highest academic and of the moral & loving environment students enjoy. Well mannered kids respect themselves and others and ask more of themselves with the positive attitude they get in school. Grandview has a great Principal along with Teachers & Staff who not only exhibit high integrity but also a caring and loving heart for each individual child .Grandview Preparatory School has it all we recommend it to everyone its a wonderful experience.

Posted September 27, 2013

We have been in different schools and finally have found a place that we feel great energy. All the staff is very happy and you can feel it. The homework is not excessive which gives our child a chance to play sports. Our child gets positive attention from his teachers and most important, he loves it.

Posted July 30, 2013

First of all, let me say that every single bad review about Grandview is completely false. I have been going there for 7 years, and my experience has been nothing but positive. The teachers truly care about our education, and I have not heard one iota of this supposed drama mentioned in the negative reviews. The Academics have helped me to excel, and I strongly feel I have flourished academically and socially. There are many options as far as extracurricular activities go, and the Performing Arts Department is simply amazing. Athletics are superior as well. No matter what your specific interest, Grandview is a fantastic school.

Posted July 24, 2013

Drama, gossip and more drama. I have never seen anything more unprofessional like it in a teaching staff or dance teacher. Our children will not be back next year. The administration does not seem to know what takes place in their own offices. Responsiveness from head faculty is poor.

Posted July 19, 2013

My three children enrolled at Grandview when the school opened in 1997. They each had an excellent education that not only taught them well academically, but also encouraged and developed confidence and self-expression. After graduating from Grandview in 2002, 2004 and 2007, each of them successfully attended and graduated from a large university, with one of my children going on to earn an MBA. Currently, my two older grandchildren attend Grandview in the Early Childhood and kindergarten classes; when my youngest grandchild turns three years old, he, too, will attend this school. I can recommend Grandview without qualification based on sixteen years of personal experience -- children attending this school feel a warmth and caring that cannot be measured, but which allows them to learn and grow in the best available environment.

Posted June 30, 2013

School is wonderful. Nurturing, caring environment. My daughter did very well. Math teachers are very rigorous. My daughter was in the advanced math classes there and did exceptionally well. Teachers work very had to explain difficult concepts and teach solid leaning strategies for college. Her success next year in college will be a tribute to the excellent teaching at Grandview.

Posted June 1, 2013

Grandview Prep is a school run by parents of students. Since it is a small school, check the ratio of teachers/staff to students to whom they are related. Nepotism is abundant here. In our experience, emphasis is placed on students that are children or relatives of teachers, administrators or staff. It is a small school so it is not easy for students to fall through the cracks, but they do. There is no excuse. My advice is to seek a place that genuinely cares for your child and not treat them merely as funds for their school to operate for their own families.

Posted May 15, 2013

I graduated from here and now I work here. I absolutely love this school, and I'm so happy to be back!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted March 3, 2013

This is our second and last year to have our child at Grandview, and we are not alone, as many parents have already changed schools mid year this year due to a lack of academic rigor. While the school clearly excels at sports (winning state championships, etc.) and has a great arts programs (including the music and dance programs), it seems to be at the expense of academic excellence and accountability in other areas. The headmistress has no formal background, training, or certifications in education or administration, and it shows. The head of the lower school has not demonstrated the ability to lead or mentor teachers or hold teachers accountable to high quality instruction and lesson planning, and the school continues to cut headcount-including the part time curriculum director. The poor leadership has contributed to poor teacher quality and sub par academic programs. There is a fair amount of teacher turnover and both teachers and parents are frustrated with the lack of consistency, communication, and execution from the administration. It's too bad-it truly seemed like a school with great potential, but it seems more like a "grand view". . .vs a "grand follow through".

Posted March 3, 2013

Poor, poor academics at Grandview. As of today, March 2013, the school has posted information on this site about the arts programs, sports and athletic programs, and other extracurricular activities, but nothing about the curriculum or teaching/learning methods used for teaching reading, writing, math, social studies, science, or foreign languages. And, no surprise-nothing posted about test scores that would indicate how well they are teaching the academic subjects above. That is a pretty good indication of school's priorities.

Posted February 12, 2013

I am a student that attends Grandview and am so lucky to go to a school like this. I would never want to attend another school. It may not be perfect, but the teachers are great and act as another family to everyone. The comments by some of these parents are misleading and untrue. There are kids that are graduateing that have been to this school since lower school. This school is great.

Posted December 13, 2012

A great small school with loads of extras. We feel like we are part of a community at Grandview. Arts and athletics are huge and everyone is supportive. The teachers are professional and proactive and the students are courteous respectful of each other and adults. Despite what a previous reviewer said, the older students are polite, bright, and get into good colleges. I look forward to many great years as my child grows with Grandview.

Posted November 29, 2012

Absolutely the best school I have ever sent my kids too - I just wish I had found it sooner! Teachers, staff they are all wonderful and caring people. Love - love - this school!

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 1% 3%

College readiness and student pathways

Percentage of students going to 4-year college 100% (2013)
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
PE instructor(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Security personnel
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
German
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
  • None - the school offers no services
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Technology

Arts & music

• Arts (all)
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

School start time
  • 8:00 am
School end time
  • 3:00 pm
Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school: starts at 7:45 a.m.
  • After school: ends at 6:00 p.m.
  • Jacqueline Westerfield
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Day school
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Standards-based

• Arts (all)
  • Service learning
  • Technology
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Parent center
  • Playground
  • Science lab
  • Swimming pool
Partnerships with local resources and organizations

Sports

• Dance
Media arts
  • None

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Chess club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom