539 students|Palm Beach

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Just right (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Develops honesty: Neutral

Posted November 26, 2015
I think they claim to develop these traits, and even give students the opportunity to talk about them. But i don't think her teacher is a good example of these traits, and I am afraid it goes on up the ladder from there. I am SURE, without any question remaining in my heart that there are some wonderful teachers there... I have met them. Not all is bad or all good any where you go. But our experience is a disappointing tale.

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted November 26, 2015
my child had the worst teacher i have ever met. added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words added words

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted November 26, 2015
to thwart a child's desire to learn in nearly a crime. I have actually discussed this with the principal and my child's teacher how they are deflating my child's desire to learn. it is actually the opposite of persistence and determination.

Grateful to: School leader

Posted November 22, 2015
Poinciana Elementary STEM school in Boynton Beach, FL is the BEST! Everyone is thought of and treated like family! Your child is sure to get a wonderful education! They even have a planetarium! The staff and school is utterly amazing!

Poinciana Elementary School 5

Posted September 30, 2015
This is a great school!! The gifted program is awesome! The principal , teachers and staff are wonderful. Teachers communicate well. Lots of school activities and fundraising . There's nothing not to like! Your child will get a solid education at this school.

Poinciana Elementary School 3

Posted August 27, 2015
There are MANY great teachers at this school. Some of the other reviewers seem to have encountered the few bad apples, but they are the exception, not the norm. And I know people who have switched classes due to a teacher they didn't get along with. The first few years my child was at Poinciana, I would have given five stars without a second thought. Unfortunately, the new principal (as of 2013) has not made a great impression. She seems nice enough, but has a very affected manner, which comes across as kind of phony (and it's not just me that thinks so). More importantly, she seems to be really enamored of nonsense rules. For example, she arbitrarily implemented a dress code -- not a uniform (which I could understand), but simply a very strict dress code. For example, no jeans allowed. It might make sense for bank employees, but not for elementary students. The explanation of having "one school culture" is disturbing to me -- there's a difference between teaching responsibility/ respect and teaching conformity. And this year, as a fundraiser, they're selling passes that let kids break the dress code on certain days. This makes even less sense, especially for a school in a depressed neighborhood. And the dress code is just one example. They've also decided that parents cannot drop kids off at the adjacent community center, for nebulous "safety reasons." Never mind the fact that no child has ever been hurt there, or that the main dropoff line can already take over ten minutes (and will be worse now, with all the kids who would otherwise get dropped off at the center). It seems like more rules for the sake of having more rules. Again, my child has had six great teachers at Poinciana, and so have most of the other kids we know there. And the facilities, like the planetarium (a real one, museum-style) and robotics lab, are great. But the school just ain't what it used to be. When my child started here, people LOVED this school. In fact, parents whose kids had already graduated came back to continue volunteering. That love has been squandered by the current administration. There are still things to love about this school -- the teachers and the facilities are the most important things, after all -- but it hasn't been heading in a good direction for the past couple of years. Hopefully they can turn things around instead of continuing down the current path.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted August 27, 2015
There are a few lousy teachers, but the vast majority of them are terrific. My child has been happy with all of them.

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted August 27, 2015
The amount of homework can vary a lot depending on the particular teacher. Generally, it's reasonable.

Poinciana Elementary School 2

Posted May 04, 2015
So so school. It depends on what the staff likes or dislikes about you and your child. I am sure there are some great teachers there but my little one was not so lucky to get that teacher. Almost everyday I get text message complaints about my little one from his teacher. I went to many meetings trying to see what we could do but only answer I got was complaining from them. My child is not a bully. The problem is for him to do his best, the teacher has to be on him. I get him to read and do math without nagging him. Staff got to a point where my child had been tagged and want to put out to special education or nothing. Lost cause . Now my child does not like school. I had to hire a teacher to help out because this school's teacher did not but complain, complain and complain. She even sent me a nasty note complaining about getting the teacher ? Wish she spent that time teaching other then texting on her phone to parents.

Poinciana Elementary School 5

Posted March 21, 2015
my two daughters switched from another school two years ago and I couldn't be happier. They have excellent after school programs, they learn to play chess, have robotics, secme, science olympiad, math teams, chorus is excellent too . Miss Esnes, and Ms.Saunders are both excellent teachers. I would highly recommend the school to anyone.

1203 South Seacrest Boulevard, Boynton Beach, FL  33435
Last modified Poinciana Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.