Hagen Road Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 901 students

We are best known for caring quality Prek-5 Program.

Sweep tile

School Official Point of View

Posted August 2, 2010

The Hagen Road Elementary team joins parents and members of the community to guide all students to achieve success as they strive to excel today and in the future. Our school continues to meet high state standards and is recognized nationally for its success. Parents and community members are encouraged to review our school website at http://www.edline.net/pages/Hagen_Road_Elementary_School for detailed news and up-to-date information. This includes the school handbook, school improvement plan, past success, supply lists and important information that can assist parents in making informed decisions regarding their child's school experience. As the school continues to join hands with all to provide adequate direction for the design, delivery and evaluation of our program, we are proud that parents, teachers and community members (all parents, teachers and staff) have once again rated our school as having a Positive School Climate (on a scale of 1 to 5 with 5 being the highest). The school was rated 4.0 for a Positive School Climate, 4.3 for High Expectations, 4.3 Frequently Monitor of Student Success, 4.2 Time on Task, 4.1 Positive Home/School Relations, 4.1 Instructional Leadership, 4.3 Clear Focused Mission with a total school of 4.2 rating. We are proud of our students,administration, teachers, parents and school and look forward to continued success. As always, parents and others wishing to contact the school are encouraged to email Dr. Richard Hughes, the school principal at hughesr@palmbeach.k12.fl.us . We are always available to assist parents and community members with any questions or concerns and appreciate input regarding the success of our school.

Posted August 27, 2013

Multiadvantages available at this positive learning environment. The school center has services for perk through grade 5 with an "A School" rating in both 2012 and 2013. One of the best schooldays in the area. With a smaller student population of only 700 students this year the learning community is close knit and caring. I would recommend this school to everyone. I especially like the After School Program and their new leadership team.

Posted July 30, 2013

I have been with Hagen for 6 years (still have a child in there). This school is wonderful! I have always had a positive experience with the Principal, Assistant Principal, Office Staff and teachers my children have had over the years. For those who are not happy, might I suggest you get involved with the school and become a part of the solution verses the problem (that you are experiencing).

Posted March 18, 2013

This school is HORRIBLE. My son attended this school for 1st and second grade. He was diagnosed ADHD but was undergoing additional testing for Autism. While going in for Parent night, I watched his teacher LITERALLY mock and mimic has body language in front of everyone there. He was told not to eat the M&Ms they used during bingo.He ate them. When I picked him up from school, he was so distraught that I couldn't make out what was wrong. I went to the office, they did NOTHING for me. Told me I couldn't see the Asst Principal (Dr Hughes wasn't even there). I basically barged in to find out that because he ate the m&ms he missed out of the holiday festivities. He spent 3 hours in the office and I never received a call! Missed seeing Santa and getting a special treat. It's been 3 years and he still talks about it. It is THAT memory that will never go away. BTW, he has been diagnosed with Autism. If you have a child with special needs DO NOT SEND THEM TO THIS SCHOOL. (I could write a book with everything that happened to him in the 2 years that he was there.) Also, I should be able to have access to my son.No parent involvement is just hurting the kids AND the school.

Posted March 8, 2013

Not impressed with Hagen Road. Although the teachers have been wonderful, the principal doesn't support parent involvement and the PTO only has 2 Board Members. While other schools have numerous committees on the PTO or PTA Hagen Road has none. This school doesn't even have an honor roll and my kids haven't been on a field trip in years. Very disappointed to see such a beautiful school become so unfriendly.

Posted February 20, 2013

Worse as years go by. There is not mcuh to say other than the school has been going downhill for years now. The Principal is not engaged. The new Assistant Principal is rude and always in a bad mood and the Dual Language program... well.. not working. There is a blatant lack of involvement and support from the Principal in all aspects from lack of inspection of school surroundings to something as simple as wishing their Safety Patrol and great trip to Washington D.C. The field is infested by fire ants that no one seems to care about. The afterschool program was the best for years and now is heading in the same direction as the rest of the school. No Field Day. Parents are not welcomed. Volunteers are not welcomed and in order to become one you have to jump through hoops. Overall, if you can avid putting your child through this and more please do so.

Posted September 12, 2011

Best thing I did was pull my child out of this school. I could care less how great their PTO is.....I want an organized school with an outstanding education. This school had neither.

Posted July 12, 2011

When my first daughter started at Hagen Road she had some trouble detaching from me and it extended through most of first grade. The principal and assistant principal along with her teachers made the transition much easier. It seemed like it would never get better and I just felt so bad for her, but she just finished 2nd grade and she had the best school year yet, and her little sister just finished Kindergarten and had a wonderful year. I do feel that as a parent, you have to show and voice your concerns and make your feelings known, but the faculity & staff will do what they can to accommodate your child. The nurse is wonderul and we have the best PTO around.

Posted June 6, 2011

Thanks to Hagen I left the State of Florida and moved back to the NYC Metropolitan area. This school has a terrible office staff and a lousy educational approach. They almost succeeded in making my son hate going to school. Fortunately, I was able to get him out of Hagen before the damage was permanent. Trust your intuition and send your kids elsewhere.

Posted June 2, 2011

You are wrong, fake parent aka office staff! Yes, office staff is the worse. The dual language program has been mismanaged for years due to lack of support from principal (I had my middle child in dual & the oldest & youngest in english only). The principal doesn't care about the program and it is NOT successful! This is why parents take their kids out every year and the program reduces from 2 classes per grade to 1 class per grade by 3rd grade. Take a look at the numbers every year!!! So small that next year you will have the same teachers teaching both 4th & 5th grade dual! Some teachers are great but they alone cannot do it. Out of boundary parents come to this school for the dual language and leave or stay miserable in the school. This is my home school and I am NOT happy with this school. I used to volunteer with my oldest child, but since this principal arrived, that is not allowed! Having experienced both dual and english only, I have come to realize that it is a leadership issue. This school needs an overhaul! This principal doesn't motivate the teachers but only brings them down! Math problem: Hagen - office staff/principal = great school/educated kids/happy parents

Posted June 1, 2011

Hopefully , this unhappy parent will find their home school more to their liking, but I doubt it. Some people are never happy, but I'm glad to see they won't be returning. I have had nothing but positive experiences with the school, principal and front office staff and look forward to another good year in the fall.

Posted June 1, 2011

I have nothing but great things to say about hagen starting off with one of the most caring and friendly principal's, he is warm and understanding and genuinely cares for all the students.The front office staff is remarkable!!!!!!!! The teachers really try and meet the needs of each and every students!!!!! The PTO really ROCKS and really made it a fun filled year for students, parents and staff!!!!

Posted May 26, 2011

My daughter just had her moving up ceremony from Kind. to 1st grade. She is in the dual language program and is loving it! Her teachers are the best! I can't say enough about them. They made the entry into a 'real' school a great experience. The staff have always been helpful and the PTO is outstanding. The afterschool program is the best around. Im so happy we were able to get our daughter into this school and are looking forward to the next year!

Posted February 16, 2011

NEGLIGENCE! My son just turned 6 and is in kindergarten. This morning I walked him to school and returned home. At 10:30am my door bell was ringing like crazy! My fiance opened the door and my son was standing there! My son walked out of school and walked home and no one noticed him leave the school campus. Thank GOD I live in the neighborhood directly behind the school, and also that someone that also lives in the neighborhood saw him and followed him home. For some reason they would only allow us to talk to the assistant principle and she apologized, but does not know how he got out without anyone seeing him. I also spoke with a few other office personnels and no one had much concern about the situation.I am furious and verify disappointed in the school!

Posted July 14, 2010

After 2 years at this school, thank God- my child will not be returning. We moved just to get out of this school zone. The ESE staff is wonderful, the teachers ok, the admin. not so wonderful. I hate to say anything negative but unless your child just blends into school and has no problems and you like a hands OFF approach to their education, than this will not be the best spot for your child. The admin does their best to avoid any problems and tries to ignore them and see if they will just go away.

Posted June 27, 2010

Great teachers, unsupportive principal, horrible office staff. The teachers make it a great school for the kids though...not so much for the parents though.

Posted May 17, 2010

The principal, Dr. Hughs, deserves a special mentioning here. I have NEVER seen a principal, who is so dedicated to his job and who is involved in every aspect of the education process. He stands outside the school every morning and personally greets all the kids as they come in. He periodically invites all the kids to his office and personally checks their reading skills. I , as a parent, have found him to be very approachable and helpful. The only thing I had problems with is communication btwn the teachers and the parents. It is done via e-mail or by phone, the parents are not allowed to just visit the classroom without an appointment for the safety reasons. However, overall I am very pleased with the school.

Posted May 8, 2010

My daughter is finishing Kindergarden I thought the teachers were wonderful and the the aftercare program is great too!!! We look forward to next year!!!!

Posted May 6, 2010

not a recommended school. If you can send your child some where else, do it! Very unhappy! Am going to home school next year.

Posted May 6, 2010

worst school! my child never had any good experiences! the teachers are terrible! the principal is bad!

Posted April 15, 2010

My son moved in mid year and we have been very unhappy from the first day. The office staff was complaining and miserable on the first day and are always negative when I visit the office. It is obvious that the leadership in the school is awful. My son will not be returning to the school next year.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

133 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2013.

133 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

122 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

122 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2013.

123 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 53% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

139 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Asian 4% 3%

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 13%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
PE instructor(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Arabic languages
French
Italian
Spanish
Creole
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Golden School (2010)
  • Five Star (2010)
  • Blue Ribbon (SAC) (2010)

Special education / special needs

• Speech and language impairments
  • Visual impairments
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Accelerated credit learning
  • Honors track
  • Gifted specialist(s)
School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Dr. Richard Hughes
Best ways for parents to contact the school
Is there an application process?
Fax number

Music
  • Bell / Handbell choir
  • Choir / Chorus

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Yearbook

School culture

Dress Code
  • Dress code
  • Uniforms
  • Attend parent nights
  • Award winning parent and community involvement.
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom