South Tech Academy

Charter | 9-12 | 1125 students

Posted February 21, 2013

Great school Good teachers I am extremely impressed with South Tech. My grandson is a freshman and after a month, was struggling. The guidance counselor informed his Dad, and a meeting was set up for us to meet all his teachers. They were aware of the student's difficulties and offered valuable suggestions and encouragement. I am grateful the school employs teachers of such a high level of competency and dedication. They are truly concerned for the success of each of their students.

Posted January 15, 2012

I was never really challenged in grade school or junior high. South tech was not really that Great when I got there but I have seen the school grow to new heights with the addition of quality teachers and programs. there are some issues that I hope eventually get worked out such as balancing the coursework and career programs offered (the career programs should not take over academics). But all in all it shows much promise. I hope the students will experience the school for what it is worth like I did a few years ago.

Posted October 12, 2010

Does this school have a theatre program because I'm not really into plays and musical theatre I'm more into acting and making films since i want to be a actress and a director. does southtech have a program like that and is it a good one to? Also do you get to participate in film festivals?

Posted September 24, 2010

Posted November 1, 2009

wonderful instead of public schools were kids yell and act horrible, south tech is heaven compared they don't have the bad groups and the bad pick up Languages

Posted October 1, 2009

I am a student at south tech in the finance academy and I have attended south tech since freshmen year and i have been loving everything about the school... we have some awesome teachers in this school like Mrs.Ferris and Mrs.Moran which are both Finance teachers..I've tried to switch to a public school but it doesn't feel the same you don't really get the one on one with the teacher, the class sizes are great, and the environment is off the charts its great to wake up and go there..the only down fall I see in south tech is that we don't get ltm days but besides that everything is so much more satisfying to me as a student.

Posted August 3, 2009

I am a student at south tech in culinary arts... I went to santaluces high for 3 weeks and i was already failing.. I transfered to south tech where my graduating brother and my twin brother were and i couldnt be happier.. I love south tech and couldnt see myself going anywhere else.. The teachers actually try to help the kids unlike those other high schools where they dont care... Teachers like mrs. Beretta, chef kamen, ms. Lavie, mrs. Daniel, and mrs. Frangiskakis are the best techers at south tech... I love my school and i dont plan to change it any time soon... Class of 2012!!!

Posted July 24, 2009

I am a parent of a student who went to South Tech through her junior year. My child has a chronic illness and South Tech provided her with the best hospital homebound teacher who gave her that extra push to succeed in school. My child was diagnosed with an illness early into her highschool career, but during the two years she was able to attend South Tech, she developed academically and learned to realize her potential due to the support of staff and administration. I can't thank South Tech enough for the positive impact. They assisted in many ways throughout her years there. I would recommend South Tech to any student interested in our school. The Herzog Family

Posted July 23, 2009

I went to South Tech for 2 years and because of the lack of a good quality enviornment and teachers with some exceptions, such as Mr.Breault, Mrs.Eisenbach, Chef Kamen, Ms.Bates, Mrs.Ellison, and a few others, South Tech is the place to pick up on bad habbits and get itno the wrong crowd. I understand all schools have these kind of students but to have teachers be completely unaware of this nonsence is ridiculous. If you want your teenager going there don't be surprised if they change for the worse.

Posted September 3, 2008

I was a student in the IT program, Networking Program and graduated in 2006. I was salutatorian of my class, received a Presidential Scholarship for PBCC, which I graduated from in May of 2008, and now I'm attending FAU as a Civil Engineer student at the Engineering program with the help of my Florida Bright Futures scholarship. South Tech is one of those schools that if you don't handle your business, you'll bury yourself. Yes the teachers there are helpful, but they also know when to let go of your hand. In college, there will be no hand holding so what South Tech does is preparing the students, its up to the students to develop the discipline to focus and also have fun at the same time. They also give you plenty of opportunities to become certified in your vocational practice so you acquire a decent job out of high school.

Posted July 8, 2008

My daughter graduated from South Tech Academy in 2008..She only attended South Tech Academy for her senior year. We came to South Tech from a Christian Day School where she struggled.....my daughter has a chronic medical illness and misses quite a bit of school. She learned alot from being here for one year, it helped her confidence so much. I only wish now we would have brought her here earlier for her to experience the entire program that South Tech has to offer.. South Tech has many programs that let each student excel in their own way and become the best in their area of study, therefore preparing them to go on to a university and already be prepared. Thank you South Tech ...administrators for your concern...thank you teachers for your expertise and care......The Buchholz Family

Posted June 10, 2008

I am a 2008 graduate of South Tech and I was priviledged to also graduate out of the LPN program there. The course is really amazing and I can't think of anything better. The teachers have a lot to do with that FACT. Some teachers just go by the book day after day and could care less if a student is failing or succeeding. However the teachers that I got, especially those in the LPN program really went out of their way to make sure that all the students fully benefited from the course. They did an extraordinary job!

Posted June 5, 2008

I am a 2008 graduate out of South Tech. I was in the LPN program there and I can honestly say it was the greatest opportunity I have ever been given and Im happy I took advantage of it. The teachers were GREAT and I totally loved the expierence. I recieved alot of one-on-one review and whenever I needed help, it was there. The teachers provided alot of independent study and if needed, they were also available to join your group and help you. I started out rough, but thier patience is what helped me the most. My teacher would talk to my mom and answer any questions she had. I've never had a teacher that I have looked up to in the way I look up to her. She's basically family to me. I have twin in the school, her and I agree, South Tech is like no other school.

Posted April 23, 2008

My daughter is a junior and is enrolled in the LPN program. The students accepted into this program are high achieving and responsible students. Although this program looks good on paper, it is run in an unfair and unprofessional way. Among many other qualities I expect good teachers to be creative, well organized, respectful of students, and to motivate students to achieve success. However, teachers in this medical academy due the exact opposite. They choose to focus on student failure. The medical academy would be a wonderful learning experience for these students if they had caring teachers who had expectations of success for all of their students. The kids in this program are the best of the best, I wish I could say the same for the teachers. Also these teachers lack communication with parents. Phone calls from parents are not returned and letters are ignored.

Posted July 31, 2007

I was a student of South Tech. I graduated from the finance academy. I have never felt so loved from a teacher. Every teacher wants to be there and actually care about the students! I highly encourage people to check out South Tech...Why send your child to a regular school? Send them to South Tech so they can graduate...actually...being someone, something!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted July 17, 2007

Principal Leadership I give 4 stars. Teachers....4 stars. Extra curr. Act. 2 stars needs improvement.. Parents....4 stars. Safety 5 stars.... My daughter is going into her Junior year at South Tech and they have been quite cooperative with us. She has a chronic illness and at times has to miss school. I like the smaller enviroment. I like the fact that these kids can become career ready or they have a stepping stone to college. They already have experience in a major field of interest and taking classes in that field. Great preparation for the future. Jenifer

Posted September 25, 2006

My oldest son graduated from South Tech in 2002 & was hired (at his current job) even before graduating from Graphic Design! He had a great teacher (whom is still there) and learned a lot in his class. Now my youngest son goes to S.T. for the IT Program and really likes it too. I'm very pleased with South Tech and would recommend this Technical School to others.

Posted July 5, 2005

My son attended South Tech for 4 years and graduated in 2004. The staff of South Tech did a great job of selling our family on the idea that our son would receive a wonderful high school education plus vocational knowledge as well. However, they failed to deliver on their promises. This school lacks all extra curricular activities, there are no traditional 'high school' experiences here. This school was such a disappointment to us. Our son, as well as several of his friends are attending Palm Beach Community College and they are all struggling academically due to the lack of preparedness by the South Tech staff. Parents choose wisely, the staff tells you what you want to hear, not what they can actually deliver.

Posted August 9, 2004

My son is a graduate of South Tech and is now a sophomore at FAU in Computer Science. I have nothing but praise for South Tech. There is a culture in the school within both the students and teachers of active, hands-on learning that is missing in other schools. The academy concept replaced the electives (like drama) that my son got placed in at public HS that he didn't want and didn't need. The Principal (Jim Kidd) is an honest no-nonsense, fair guy who really wants the kids to succeed in life (not just avoid causing him problems) and has a common sense approach to meeting that goal.

Posted December 8, 2003

I have one son who graduated from South Tech in May 2003.The four years he spent at South Tech were great.He was in the automotive technology academy where his teachers got to know him because of the small school atmosphere.He graduated in the top ten of his class.I have another son who is in the tenth grade in the automotive academy.He likes the four by four block schedule.He is thriving in the auto academy and looks forward to spending time everyday training to be an auto technician.I am so glad we are a part of such a successful school.As a charter school, South Tech can only move upward and forward.Give your child a career academy education as well as a college bound high school diploma at South Tech!!

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

234 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

253 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

251 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

266 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "D".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "D".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

n/a

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

93 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

245 students were tested at this school in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

104 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 15%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Specific academic themes or areas of focus
  • Technology

• MR. MYRON COST
Fax number
  • (561) 369-7024

Instructional and/or curriculum models used

• STEM
Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Technology

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now