Odyssey Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 908 students

Posted March 18, 2014

My son attended this school for 6th grade only. The bullying was out of control. He was attacked and physically assaulted several times IN CLASS, and the teachers didn't do anything about it until I complained to the principal. The 6th grade AP was unresponsive, and it couldn't get her to return my calls until I would call the principal. Moving my son to another middle school for 7th and 8th grade was the best thing I've ever done. The think most of the teachers are good, they just don't get enough support in keeping the bullies in line. I think the administration only believes what they want to and not what is really happening. I ended up reporting the school to "Safe Schools" and the South Area superintendent. How do you expect kids to learn if they are constantly afraid?? I will never allow another one of my children to attend this school.

Posted May 22, 2013

Let me be honest. I cried the first day I dropped my son off to this school in the middle of his 6th grade year. He went from a heavily controlled school in PSL, to this animal house. Some of the teachers are okay, but some are wonderful. Some of the kids are good, but others are products of their parents. Some how, my son went from B's & C's to straight A's in this school. So, they must be doing something right. My son cannot tolerate the majority of the kids, and finds it very hard to learn when the others are acting up in every class, every day. He gets picked on by some of the kids almost daily. He thinks the animalistic kids are known and recognized by the faculty more so than the good kids, but has a few teachers he says that make it all worth it. I've offered him to switch schools now that he is going into 8th grade, but he turned me down and would like to stay. They must be doing something right at this animal house. Many of the kids seem terrible. The parents are to blame. YOU should know what your kid is doing, and how they act. Get in touch with their teachers. They'll tell you. Talk to your kids + Never spoil your kids=Good Kids.

Posted March 2, 2013

This is our first and last year at this school. The school is not safe, has 4 police officers on patrol. The teachers are great but the Principal, Asst. Principals or the Guidance Counselor are not great at returning calls. The Principal wont even come meet us in person, claimed she was busy and sent AP to deal with us instead. Many theft and bully issues. Lot of troubled kids in the school. The office is too busy putting out fires everyday versus focus on the support of the staff or keeping the school safe. Many teachers have left the school. If you care about your kid's education and safety, this is NOT the school of choice. I was not the one to judge the school based on hear say, but now I have experienced it myself and cant wait to pull my kids out soon enough.

Posted November 30, 2012

I am a teacher at this school and I must say that I have taught for 32 years and I have never had any students as hardworking, respectful, and honest as the ones here at Odyssey. All of my co-workers work very hard to do the best for their students. The dress code policy is one that the kids love. You may wear jeans of any color and polo shirts of any color. I highly recommend this school to any parent.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted January 8, 2012

ok so this school is amazing i was here for 6-8th grade and unfortunatly am changing schools becouse of location i recomend enrollment and put your child in the spanish class becouse the teacher mr villacis is great and theylle have lots of fun and look forward to going to school everyday plus they have spanish 1 algebra 1 geometry and scpace honors which are all clases that give your child high school credit so go ahead and enroll your child !

Posted July 24, 2011

At the beginning of the school year we're impressed by the teachers and in general with the school. But after a few months in the school our son started to have bullying problems which they were addressed and apparently taking care of, then the school change their best teacher, and they were with a substitute teacher for 3 months . Whom the kids said didn't know what to do with the students. And finally the fights!. Almost every week, in the las 2 months of school, they happend in between classes and or at parent pick-up when they weren't supervised. It's a shame! the good students have to be tortured by this annoying episodes that produces stress and insecurity. And It seems that Odyssey it's been famous for.

Posted April 28, 2010

This school is really good for my child .I love it when she comes from school healthy and smart!All the time she tells me 'I ate good breakfast and good lunch!!Thankyou for everything!!!

Posted June 23, 2008

Overall, I was pleased with my son's educational experience. My son attended OMS 6-8th grades. We had a rough start in terms of him adjusting his behaviors to m.s. but the teachers reached out to me and really tried to help us improve the situation - which worked. Whenever my son's grades would start to slip, I'd get a phone call. The teachers there are very attentive to their students' progress and seem to genuinely care about seeing their students suceed. However, as with most organizations there are always going to be a couple of people, in this case, teachers, who could use some career counseling and find themselves another profession they'd be a better fit for.

Posted June 3, 2008

I attend OMS as my middle school & i love it the only problem that there are not enough days with out uniform. (spirt days) !i will be happy to say that the school is awsome and there are great teachers hear. I enjoy every day at the school and look foward to comming!!!

Posted March 27, 2008

After 5 years of Christian School, I was very nervouse about putting my daughter in a large public school. She loves it. The teachers are great and insist on kindness and respect of others.

Posted January 1, 2008

Best school I've ever put my child in. There creativity, imagination, and over all knowledge has sored. She loves it there. I highly recomend this school.

Posted September 12, 2007

I went to Odyssey 6th-8th grade. I cant be happier with the school; the teachers are great they explain things till you get it no matter how long it takes them. Their also very friendly. If I had the choices to go to Odyssey I wouldnt think twice. I love this school.

Posted September 5, 2007

odyssey might not be the best of schools and might not have great enviroment but it has great teachers who will try their hardest so that their students can learn to the fullest of their abilties

Posted August 30, 2007

I seriously believe that there is a major communication gap between parents and teachers @ Odyssey. I honestly hate the school and only because my daughter likes it and has her friends there is the reason why we're still there. Yes, she is an honors student, so the teaching is good, but don't ever try to get in touch with one of them...its close to impossible....

Posted August 23, 2007

Well, last year i was a student in the 8th grade at this school. I had all advanced classes and great teachers. They really explain things so you get them. Mrs. Thompson is the best science teacher!!! I recommend this school, even though there are alot of fights.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted May 2, 2006

My daughter has had exceptionally positive experiences the past three years at OMS. She has flourished in the single gender instruction setting. She has gained self esteem and confidence in her studying and test taking ability. Her teachers are energetic and employ positive reinforcement techniques in their teaching. I find Principal Fox to be an enthusiastic leader. I am pleased with her results. My daughter is in the minority at OMS but she still feels safe and included within the student body. I feel fortunate to have had OMS as the assigned middle school for our daughter.

Posted May 12, 2004

My daughter has done excellent since she's been at Odyssey Elementary. I really appreciate the way her teachers encourage her, and push her to continue to succeed. Her attitude about school is unbelievable for a 12 year old. More importantly, is the attention and time each of her teachers give to her and the other students. I wish Odyssey extended through to 12th grade. Why?, because I know she would always continue to strive to be the best, and knowing she has that strong support system that she receives from her teachers. Not just, one or two days out of the week, but every single day that she's at Odyssey. In my opinion, Odyssey is, and should be an 'E' school, for excellent. From the bottom of our hearts I want to Thank the entire Odyssey Staff, especially Ms. Zimmer for caring about our students education. With Hugs, Mr. & Mrs. McKenzie

Posted August 26, 2003

This is one of the best schools I've experienced. I have two children attending in honor and advanced classes. The teachers are excited, inspiring and fresh...very professional in their manerisms and approach to teaching! No violence at this school. The principal has a clear vision and is leading us into a journey of discovery...restores your faith in the public school system!

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

257 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

254 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

305 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

325 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

215 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

319 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

321 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

316 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

349 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

105 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 11%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

• (561) 752-1305

Staff resources available to students
  • Art teacher(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options