Manatee School Of Arts/Sciences

Charter | PK-6 | 133 students

Posted October 31, 2012

I absolutely love this school, and better yet my daughter loves it! She enjoys being able to move ahead when she is ready to move ahead in a subject and no longer worries about having to wait for other students to catch up while she gets bored. The principal is very involved in ensuring each child progresses. She isthe only principal I know that greets each student every morning with a smiling face and a happy Hello. Thestudents here have art and science everyday and they love the opportunity to be creative and have fun. They also enjoy their Masterpiece Showcases where each and every student is a star while they put on their performances for the parents and staff. My daughter is so happy here she is doing the best in school that she has ever done and I couldn't be more proud. She really enjoys being able to express her true magnificent unique self! Sara Heuer

Posted October 9, 2012

I am a student who went to msas from k-5 and graduated in 2009 and it is a TERRIBLE school! First things first, the principal has no idea what she is doing and has no rules and no control. The principal hired HER SON to be a teacher there and she lets him do whatever he want to with the class, im not joking, I was in his class 2 years! The second in command in the school who I cannot name because of site rules is completley useless, she wont help anyone who has complaints, I know this because once my mother took me in to talk to her ofter a student threw me against a metal chair and the teacher didnt notice, and I was told to "work it out" with the student who hurt me. The test scores speak for themselves, they are really low, you can look them up. The school is really good at pretending they are a good school and have convinced many parents that it is, but I have been on the inside, and it is horrible. By the way, if a kid tells you it is good, they either dont know what they are talking about, or like the lack of work. From what I hear, its gotten worse since I left, they are now giving nintendo DSIXL's to anyone who enrolls as a bribe! Which they used instead of laptops!

Posted October 6, 2012

Manatee School of Arts and Science is a Excellent school all my children have attended my oldest Michael now 22 my daughter Rachael 16 and now my youngest Ryan 10 all have excelled in school and in life. All of the teachers and staff treat everyone like family. All my children love it there. The principal is wonderful and does great everyone at the door. Each student is walked to their car by teachers and opens the door morning and afternoon. They have great academic programs and I think the field trips are wonderful. Thank you MSAS!

Posted August 15, 2012

A great place for children. We loved our experience at this school. The teachers really care about the students not just academically. The principal greets everyone everyday at the door. My children's teachers replied to all my issues in a timely manner. Most importantly my children loved this school! They got to sing, dance, and be creative!

Posted August 8, 2012

Worst,and I mean By Far the Worst school to Put a Child in ...My Child Was advanced when He/She started At this school ....Before the end of the year could even come I had to Pull My Child Out ....due to My Child falling So far back My Child will be Repeating the Same grade this new school year....Feild Trips "break for Teachers" are just about every month some twice in a month...Fun Raiser's every few weeks ...basically to much going on for childern leaving NO TIME TO LEARN ....Also this School Makes your Children Eat Out side ...Not a big deal right ? Wait until your child comes home Sick every week from eating in the cold Rain or from the Germs ...Food Left in eating area for over a week and NEVER ONCE Did i see anyone Wipe down the eating tables ...there is actually food wedged into the holes of the table ....All in All It is a TOXIC place for Children

Posted April 22, 2010

This school has a toxic environment. The principal needs to resign because she doesn't address the bullying problems at her school. I was told my child needed to grow a 'backbone' by her! I had to pull my child out because of the unsafe environment. He was physically and verbally assualted on nearly daily basis towards the end of his stint at MSAS. Parents BEWARE ... CHARTER schools are different than public schools ... they can do what they want there (the administrators) and get away with it. Oh and by the way, they don't practice Ron Clark's 55 Rules because if they did, they would go back to rule #1: WE ARE FAMILY!!!!

Posted April 14, 2010

I love it because they offer dance and music lessons. I think it is important for students to learn about the arts.

Posted April 8, 2010

This school has a bullying problem and they won't address it. My child was assaulted at school and I was never informed nor did I receive an accident report. All I got was a call stating that I had to agree to get me child counseling and the agreement had to be signed! The principal's policies on how she handles things are inconsistent. I had to pull my child with only two months left before summer break and might I mention that he was an HONOR ROLL student ... all because the school refused to address the bullying going on there.

Posted November 2, 2009

My student was always bored, and acting out at their previous school. When I switched them to Manatee School of Arts and Sciences, Inc. she came alive. Projects are relevant to their everyday life and interests. Studies culminates with trips that excite her and make her want to do the work that allows her to a movie, or on a field trip, or to a special party related to their studies. This school is so unique and looks at each child as an indidvidual and provides help when needed on a one on one basis. I have never seen a more caring administration or staff. Each child is special and important at MSAS.

Posted October 9, 2009

It is a awsome school! Mr.J is awsome Mrs. Jolly is a great principal!
—Submitted by a student

Posted October 1, 2009

This is a small charter school in Manatee county, my child gets individual attention and is not just a number.

Posted July 28, 2009

I had to take my child out of this school because academics were replaced with trips to Oakmont to HighSchool Musical 3 and Madagasgar2 just to name a few. Nepitism has overtaken professionalism and the principal's attention has shifted away from the children and their best interests.My heart broke when my son said he wanted to throw away awards from the principal because she doesn't mean what she says. His teacher was wonderful but the environment was hazardous.

Posted July 24, 2009

I have a boy that went to this school last year. He struggles hard in school. I tried homeschooling for a year and gave up. They worked hard to help him make it and now he is moving into the next grade. Many Thanks to this school. I'd give them a 4.5 stars only because I probably would never give a 5 star, because no one is perfect.

Posted May 25, 2009

Great school, wonderful teachers and staff! Would reccommend to everyone!

Posted February 16, 2009

MSAS is a great school. My child's teacher always keeps in contact with me and I feel very comfortable to contact the principal at anytime, she is always willing to help.

Posted October 20, 2008

I am very pleased with MSAS. The teachers go above and beyond to provide a great education for my child. The school offers fun after school activities that the teachers spend their extra time to support. My child is very happy at MSAS. The principal wants every child to succeed and she is always willing to meet whenever needed. MSAS is a wonderful school!

Posted October 9, 2008

I am disappointed in the schools ability to follow through in providing for needs of struggling students. I feel the school is only concerned about excelling students and its students scoring high on the FCAT to boost the school's rating up from a C.

Posted October 7, 2008

There is no communication between parent and school. I have never been able to resolve any of my concerns about our child with the principal. We are simply ignored. I have no clue as to why it is called MSAS (Arts and Science). There is hardly art or science. We will be looking for another school for next year.

Posted May 28, 2008

This school has wonderful communication lines that have been set in place. The teachers I have had the pleasure of working with has always been very willing to work with me and my daughter. They make it fun for the children to learn and the children really grasp what they have been taught. I am very proud to say that I have been an MSAS parent for the past 3 years and my daughter is endng the school year with straight A's!! Thank you MSAS for all that you do each and everyday!

Posted April 25, 2008

Poor communication, does not seem like this school has their act together. Lacks class.
—Submitted by a teacher

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

18 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

27 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "D".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "C".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

3700 32nd Street West