Rowlett Magnet Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 897 students

Posted October 13, 2013

This is my 7th year with a student at Rowlett. What I appreciate most are the love for learning and the understanding of how to meet the needs of students (not just administer whatever is required by the county and state). The teachers are highly committed and passionate. There are many different opportunities for growth and learning outside the traditional classroom. The sense of community among teachers, students and staff is strong. I hope that the values my son learned and pride in his school last a lifetime.

Posted October 11, 2013

We have a daughter in 3rd grade, she"s been their ever since kindergarten. We are very pleased with this school, especially with the teachers and the principal. We have talked with other parent's about the school and they all say the same thing, they all say they love the school. We haven't heard anything negative about the school. I would recommend anyone that's thinking about sending their kids to Rowlett Elementary. I would rate this school a A++++++.

Posted October 10, 2013

Do you want your child at a semi-faceless school, or do you want your child at a school where almost everyone there knows your child's name? Rowlett is an amazing school that proves the idea that children should come first. This school provides an education for students that goes beyond the normal local elementary school. The extras this school manages to provide, through parental funding and a caring staff (both paid and volunteers), are life-learning experiences the children take with them when they leave. They learn Spanish every year, they are afforded after school activities, there are caring professionals ready to help your child through any problem they may face, and supporting teachers there for your children and you, too, if you need extra support. I have one son who has graduated from Rowlett and another with two years to go. We started out at a different school and choiced into Rowlett, and there isn't a day that we haven't rejoiced at that decision.

Posted October 10, 2013

If you are looking for the BEST school in Florida look no further. The focus is on educating the whole child, providing positive reinforcement and as much enrichment and extra curricular activities your child can manage. The school community shares a positive, corporative and respectful approach from: the Principal/Assistant Principal, Teachers, Para Professionals, Cafeteria Staff, Maintenance Crew, Parents, Volunteers and Students. Rowlett Elementary was best summed up by a former teacher when she said: Rowlett is one voice many verses. You will not be disappointed by making the Choice for Rowlett. Next year, Rowlett will be a Charter School and the future is looking brighter.

Posted October 10, 2013

We could not be happier with our choice in schools for our children. The fact that Rowlett is now going to be a Not-for-profit Charter School is a bonus. The school district in Manatee County is lacking in leadership and knowing that our children's school will be under the control of people who care deeply about children and education takes away the need for worry. I wish they'd consider expanding into the middle school grade levels. It will be hard to replace Rowlett as our children progress in school.

Posted October 9, 2013

The thing about this school that makes it so special is the school community, made up of dedicated teachers, supportive administration and active parents. Rowlett really supports the education of the whole child, academically, socially, emotionally and physically. An added plus are the many extra's like Odyssey of the Mind, TSA, Drama, Dance, etc. I could not ask for a better start for my children!

Posted October 9, 2013

In a time with high stakes testing, Rowlett focuses on educating the complete student. The core classes as well as the arts are all encouraged and supported at Rowlett. Also, all grades from K-5 have Spanish 3 times a week. The staff and faculty love and support the students and go that extra mile. The school is a family and it is wonderful to see staff, faculty , admin and parents working together to educated their children. I love this school and only wish it went thru middle school.

Posted October 9, 2013

It is such a privilege to take my kids to Rowlett every day. I know when I am dropping my daughters off that they are in the hands of a community that cares about them and their success. The administration, teachers and staff are all wonderful. They do such a great job of making learning and school fun.

Posted October 9, 2013

Rowlett is an arts and communications themed magnet school which is also 100% school choice. The school environment is focused on the 7 Habits of Highly Effective People and this theme is visible throughout the entire culture. Student academics are NOT based on one-size fits all but rather meets the needs of all types of learners. The staff are warm and friendly and it seems more like a home rather than a public institution. I am honored to not only be a teacher at Rowlett, but have witnessed the success of my three nieces throughout their education at Rowlett Magnet Elementary School. Visit their website for more information...you will not be disappointed.

Posted October 9, 2013

I am the Gifted teacher at Rowlett Elementary School. I am blessed to affect the lives of over 140 wonderful students a week in grades 1st-5th grade. Rowlett is an amazing place to work. No matter what is going on in the World, I get to work and I feel happy and safe. When my smiling students enter my Discovery classroom I experience feelings of joy and gratitude. Rowlett has no discipline problems, because the students are so engaged in inquiry learning and STEAM projects, they are thrilled to be at school and strive to do their best each day. When the regular school day is done, over 700 of our students participate in free enrichment classes that include everything from learning how to cook, to playing the violin, yoga, and even gardening! The staff at Rowlett is a family. We are here for each other to share teaching experiences, and knowledge so that we can provide the best well-rounded education for our students. Our Parents are our raving fans, and volunteer in so many ways. When funding was taken away for a media specialist, our parents volunteered to run the media center everyday. Rowlett is a fabulous place to work and educate our future leaders of America.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted August 21, 2013

We are thrilled that our son attends Rowlett. Because of the care from all of the staff and faculty he has soared in his academics and loves school. We are looking forward to another great year at Rowlett and our 2nd son can't wait to start Kindergarten next year.

Posted August 10, 2013

The principal of Rowlette Magnet Elementary is awesome. One of the reason why Rowlette is a great school: EXCELLENT LEADERSHIP. The teachers and the staff have a passion for the educational development of students. Parental involvement has played a critical role in this school's success; the parents who send their kids to Rowlette ~ CARE. I love the school because it offers well-rounded education (with diversity) that will prepare our child for the real world. We are a professional family ~ MD and Accountant. We could have easily continued to keep our child in a private school, but chose Rowlette because of its reputation and all the reasons listed above. Diversity was/is important in every facet - racial, social, economic, etc. It was important for our child to see teachers representative of all cultures and background. The quality of education is good... The Magnet aspect exposes our child to the arts. This is great! Our daughter loves school.

Posted April 21, 2013

We're sad we couldn't take this school with us in our move. It was amazing. Brain Flynn is a wonderful principal whose dedication to his students, parents and teachers was beyond every expectation. My children thrived. They did very well academically but that seemed like an added bonus. There was just so much to experiece there and I always felt welcome. Less then a year ago we moved out of state. The kids now attend a AAA school in the top school district in the state. While I appreciate the staff teaching and caring for my children, the school simply doesn't hold up to the Rowlett experience. The whole family still talks about the fun and caring environment the entire staff at Rowlett provided our children.

Posted November 15, 2012

Best elementary school in Manatee County! Ignore the rating...look at these reviews from real parents with real students who attend Rowlett. You will not be disappointed!!!

Posted November 9, 2011

I could not be happier with our choice to attend Rowlett! This school is AMAZING! The students, teachers, principal and support staff work together to make this school the best in town!

Posted June 21, 2010

My daughter attended K this year and I could not be happier with her progress both socially and educationally. Brian Flynn the principal, is a model to all the students. Her teacher Mrs. Tomecki was an absolute pleasure and certainly one of the reasons my daughter did so well. I wish I could clone her!

Posted June 16, 2010

This school has a strong, caring administration and staff, and many involved parents. The principal has done a wonderful job holding parental cliques at bay by forming a family association versus the standard PTO. This translates to many to do a few things, versus a few, doing it all. Keeps away the burnt out feelings, frustration, and clique mentality. The children are well cared for and very involved. It is a very positive school that gives a wonderful base for the students and parents alike. They teach the "7 habits" and also live by example. Wonderful school!

Posted May 6, 2010

Offers a great deal of enrichment and the kids are loving going to school

Posted November 25, 2009

I have a daughter in 5th grade and a son in 1st. I could not be happier with our school and I wish more kids were as fortunate to have an option like this available to them. Brian Flynn is a model of what leadership within a school should be.

Posted November 11, 2009

This is my daughter's first year at Rowlett and she's loving it! They do so many extracurricular activities and she loves her teacher! The principal Mr. Flynn knows each of the students' names and even knows the adults' names and even knew my daughter's grandmother's name. He is so nice and funny. All of the staff members and I'm so glad my daughter is in that school.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

148 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

148 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

157 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

157 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

156 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

133 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Math specialist(s)
Music teacher(s)
Nurse(s)
PE instructor(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Special education / special needs

• Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• Instructional aide(s)/coach(es)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Kitchen
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")

Gifted & talented

• Gifted specialist(s)
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school

• Cafeteria
  • Computer lab
  • Kitchen
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Video / Film production

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Tutor