Mclane Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 915 students

Posted August 27, 2007

Well, This school is pretty much controlled by the students, as myself saying i don't like the school I think we need a couple more police officers there to scare the unruly students...
—Submitted by a student

Posted May 17, 2007

This school is totally out of control. I have been there many times during the day,and seen this first hand. There is zero parent involvement. It is my opinion that these teachers do not care one way or another what happens to the children, they are just there for a pay check. The principal shows no sign of real leadreship to pass on to the kids. I could really go bad forever but there is not enough space.

Posted May 15, 2007

My experience with McLane was shocking to me. The school has no control over the students. These are suppose to be educators that teach kids not only from a book, but lead by example. If you do not have proper leadership, guidance, and resources to deal with the social issues and the difficulty of this age group, how can you expect a child to conduct themselves as though they are in a learning environment when they are surrounded by chaos? Why are they not trying to get the community/parents envolved to work on a solution? Do they care?

Posted May 8, 2007

I truly do not care for this school, the only good thing they have is Mrs. Mabrey a wonderful guidance counselor. But the lack of punishment for the violence there is ridiculous! Glad my children are no longer there!

Posted January 18, 2006

My child hates this school. They don't challenge the students academically and there seems to be a fight everyday. Two months ago I left a detailed voicemail concerning my child and I'm still waiting for someone to return my phone call.

Posted March 31, 2005

This is my son's first year at this school. He has three EXCELLENT teachers, one average one, and one that shouldn't be a teacher. Despite our complaints and those of several other parents, our requests to move our child from this classroom and into another was not honored by the school. The school seems to be handcuffed by district policy and lack of resources to either assist this teacher improve or be removed. I believe that overall, the staff is caring and tries to do what is right for the kids, but lacking in resources and support from 'the system'.

Posted March 30, 2005

My son has a learning disability and was given an IEP from his elementary school that went ignored for 3 months at McLane. He was placed in regular classes and received poor grades. I called a meeting, and none of the teachers showed up. We've tried to get into other schools, but all are full. If we don't get him into another school by this August, we will home school him. Too much violence and threats of violence, which seems to be the focus of some of the students there which goes unchecked. This school needs proper funding and training.

Posted December 13, 2004

I am extremely dissatisfied with McLane. I am in the process of removing my child due to the multiple problems she receives here. The faculty does not seem much to care, but rather make excuses that 'kids are kids'. Death threats to my child are not 'ok' to me. Also, my complaints to the school board to less than 'important'.

Posted October 24, 2004

This is an aging school that has been featured on a news program entitled 'Dirty Dining.' There are several dedicated teachers who strive to lead the pupils to excel in academics and in life. However, the school is woefully overcrowded, underfunded, and unable to provide adequate learning resources to the students. This is a school with all the problems of an inner city school and without the resources to deal with those problems.

Posted October 17, 2004

Mclane is a good but certain teachers are not as good as they can be.

Posted May 10, 2004

I really don't feel that this school gives their 100% to the children, we come from a different area and the teaching ability differs from there to here. Maybe because we don't put enough emphisis on learning for our children, we would rather play are sports, acting and other things than fund our teachers what they need and deserve to teach our children.

Posted April 20, 2004

Good school, overall. Overcrowded though, not enough classrooms or textbooks. I think most of the teachers are very caring and the staff is great. They need to enforce the dress code like they promised to do at the beginning of the year. When they held parent/teacher conferences this month not many parents showed up for my daughters team. There were four teachers there from her team, each teacher had about 150 students they taught a day, only two parents showed up for the conferences and we were one of them, pitiful.

Posted March 27, 2004

I am a grandprant of two students at this school they do not have homework and can not bring the text books home to study from. They need this to help improve with their grades. We have a study time for them after school. As parents of the children that attend this school we all have a responabilty to the school to help our children.We need the support of the teachers and the parents to make sure that our children get a good quality education. We do not need to hold the teachers at fault for all of the down falls of the children, as parents we need to make sure that our children have a study time when they come home, and to assist them with their study time. The teachers have more than a hundred students a day and we my only have two or three please help.Vsb

Posted February 11, 2004

In my opinion, this is the worst middle school in Hillsborough County. The academic's here are substandard, and the school does not participate in the '0' tolerance for violence. Not as far as I can see anyway. I will be pulling my daughter out of this school as soon as possible.

Posted February 1, 2004

I find our sons teachers caring, but lacking in supplies or support. This year is difficult for everyone with all the reconstruction of the buildings. There appears to be little or no enforcement of a dress code or interventions for foul language and gestures. This should not be tolerated as it errodes the ability of the teacher to teach and other students to grow in an atmosphere conducive to education. These folks need help. Parent participation and volunteers at the school would be a start. Visit sometime and take a look at what these educators are dealing with on an everyday basis. It's a shame! The school board needs to wake-up and help.

Posted October 9, 2003

The problem with McLane is not the staff. My son in 7th has a core of good teachers however, the school is critically over crowded and my son was robbed and a student attempted to beat him up. As a result his grade are suffering and he now says he hates school. I am looking for an alternative for my son's sake. It's a shame.

Posted September 9, 2003

My children just started going to this school and so far I am very disappointed. There are approx. 1,600 students which is far too many. There are no text books. My children aren't learning correctly because they cannot bring home text books with them.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

233 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

237 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

276 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

259 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

305 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

307 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

314 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

304 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

300 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "D".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

101 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

n/a
Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

n/a

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 5%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Arts & music

• (813) 744-8135

Staff resources available to students
  • Art teacher(s)
Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)
Transportation options