756 students|Hillsborough

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Not enough (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered School leader (1 response)

Mclane Middle School 4

Posted September 30, 2015
My son goes to Mclane and he loves it. All of these complaints because you are refusing to give the school a chance. When we moved into this district, I was extremely worried. In all honesty, I tried getting my son into a different middle school because of what I read about Mclane. However, my fears have been relieved. We went to 6th grade orientation and I was confused. Where were all of these undisciplined criminal children that I read about? Where were these teachers who didn't care about the students?? Our experience at orientation was great and I had no negative thoughts leaving. Fast forward a few weeks. I get a phone call stating that the children were put on lock down because another child brought a BB gun to school. I was appreciative of the lockdown procedures and the automatic phone call. You can't blame one bad decision on all of the kids nor the staff... plenty of kids in all districts make bad decisions thinking they wont get caught. You guys are complaining about the kids not bringing home homework? That's so silly. My son brought home 4 A's and 2 B's on his progress report, and he has all advanced classes by the way (which are state regulated). If he's learning everything he needs to learn in class, why would he need homework? The Principle and her staff are doing their very best to turn the negative perceptions of Mclane into positive perceptions. This school has surprised my family. My son feels safe and comfortable going to school. He's made great friends and has great teachers that truly care. I keep in constant contact with his teachers and they all respond back within a few hours of receiving my emails. If you think this school is bad, you are misinformed. Mclane is not a bad school. Signed- Proud and supportive parent

Grateful to: School leader

Posted September 30, 2015
I want to say thanks to the entire staff. It's not easy being a teacher. It's even harder being a teacher in a school that the community talks so negatively about. Every day is a new day with opportunity for positivity. Keep doing what you are doing. Keep guiding our children in the right direction.

Teacher effectiveness: Very effective

Posted September 30, 2015
My child loves all of his teachers and has positive things to say about them every day. They are also prompt when responding to my emails.

Amount of homework: Don't know

Posted September 30, 2015
I'm not bothered by the lack of homework, especially when my child is on the honor roll.

Develops grit: Agree

Posted September 30, 2015
Yes. They have a program where if you are not doing well in your classes you are required to work with the teachers during lunch.

Develops respect: Agree

Posted September 30, 2015
I have seen them demand respect from the students with my own eyes. They are helping these children become better people.

Develops empathy: Neutral

Posted September 30, 2015
I'm not sure, but I would definitely say that they try as their is a diverse background of teachers and students.

Develops honesty: Agree

Posted September 30, 2015
It does not matter what community you come from, children are treated the same at this school.

Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted May 26, 2015
As stated in my previous comments, these teachers are dealing with the product of bad parenting and bad behavior. They're ineffective because the inmates are running the asylum, but not because they're generally bad teachers. In fact, I feel sorry for them. They're only human.

Amount of homework: Not enough

Posted May 26, 2015
Please see prior comments. They pretty much sum it all up. Homework is almost nonexistent at McLane.

306 North Knights Avenue, Brandon, FL  33510
Last modified Mclane Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Mclane Middle School Rating: 2 out of 5 based on 112 reviews. Top