756 students|Hillsborough

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Agree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Don't know (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Very effective (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered School leader (2 responses)

Mclane Middle School 1

Posted June 29, 2016
I live across from Mclane and get to see the school on a day to day basis. I feel so BAD for those kids and the TEACHERS. I watch children fight with weapons while going to the bus, so bad they have to release bus riders in "waves" so the police and teachers can control them from fighting while getting on the bus at dismissal. The school looks like a little prison camp, metal gates with locks all around so they cant get out nor in. (And it is a prison, when you hear over the radios "quick, Lock the gate!") They require multiple police officers on staff and still despite that I have seen ambulances almost weekly carrying away students and Teachers who have been injured. I have watched CHILDREN been taken away in handcuffs on a weekly basis. And yes, i have photos & videos of this chaos. They have "No fail days" (it's announced weekly over the very obnoxious loud speaker system that protrudes the entire neighborhood) so show up and you pass, where is the learning? They are supposed to have a dress code, where I have seen 11 children actually abide by it. Those who follow rules are the ones who are targets. I have watched a young 6th grader everyday (who is in band, because he carries an instrument) RUN, like he runs FOR HIS LIFE from 5 bullies (obvious 8th graders but they are the size of a senior in high school) at the buses. (Again, what is the age range at this school...10 years old to what.. 17??? like my neighbor's child who is repeating the 8th grade for yet another year) The young child cuts through my yard. My husband is a Marine, and rather large one, so once the bullies saw him outside on our porch they stopped at the road (and starred my husband down), the child, we directed a better "short cut" for escape. This is control? This is safety? This is BECAUSE they have decided to BUS kids in from downtown Tampa 15 miles away, and mix them with the children of Brandon. And you wonder why so many kids are home schooled? I WILL NOT send my KIDS to these schools until the state decides to "rework" their boundaries and place kids in school where they belong.

Grateful to: School leader

Posted June 23, 2016
Langston, Anderson, Garcia, and Vasaturo (if that's how you spell it)... I know that the jobs are hard and you have many hats, but thanks for being consistent and as positive as it gets with "can do" attitudes that make it an enjoyable place to work.

Teacher effectiveness: Effective

Posted June 23, 2016
We always have the few that pick us up in the pool that are pushed from school to school, but for the teachers that are at McLane to be at McLane, they're doing AMAZING things. For the temporary time teacher, they're at every school and just keeping afloat. I agree that I wish more could be done with those teachers...

Amount of homework: Just right

Posted June 23, 2016
It's a teacher's preference. Some teachers have adopted if it goes home it doesn't come back so they've tried to make majority class work. Some still send home notebooks and text books. If you think through it though, some of the text books are classroom sets so they have to remain in the classroom. It's just how things are changing state wide.

Develops grit: Strongly agree

Posted June 23, 2016
We don't give them much of an opportunity to fail. Lets just say, if they are failing, they are doing absolutely NOTHING and odds are the parent has already been contacted. If they're not making it happen during the class, they're pulled from lunch for "No Fail Zone" which is like a study hall with a teacher. They eat and work. We also do ELP this way so the students loose no instructional time. It was new last year, but we're hitting the ground running with it this year.

Develops respect: Strongly agree

Posted June 23, 2016
We have the "4 Be's" of McLane Be Respectful Be Responsible Be Safe Be Academically Focused Any kid there can tell you those. Then we apply it to them and to the situation. It's a primary focus.

Develops empathy: Agree

Posted June 23, 2016
I haven't found a situation yet that we haven't been empathetic towards. We have had a lot thrown at us the prior year and we've climbed mountains to help these kids. Communication is key-

Develops honesty: Agree

Posted June 23, 2016
we've implemented a program into the electives that works on communication, etiquette, and culture. There is team building, community lessons, and culture.

Mclane Middle School 5

Posted June 23, 2016
While no school (especially middle) is perfect, McLane is trying. We've tried some many strategies since I've started working there. It's been 5 years now and we've got a principal that is making lists, strategies that are WORKING, and teachers that are on board with the changes. We've started PBS - a positive behavior system- that the kids are starting to know and love. When they're on task, they receive Viking Silver which they can use to purchase passes during lunch for Court & Field, Media Center, and Patio. Quarterly they are able to purchase entry into a bigger event, like a dance, our Viking fest, a talent show... the like. We also plan on starting a Viking Store where they can buy things they may have forgot, like pencils/pens, notebooks, deodorant... things they may need to be successful for the day. We want the climate to be positive and productive. We're on a big move forward as a school and in the right direction. For any of you that are worried about your kids, we're happy to have you as a parent shadow and for feedback or ideas you may have! Also, if you'd like to volunteer for anything or events, we'd be happy to have you! We want to be successful in helping your kids be successful.

Mclane Middle School 4

Posted September 30, 2015
My son goes to Mclane and he loves it. All of these complaints because you are refusing to give the school a chance. When we moved into this district, I was extremely worried. In all honesty, I tried getting my son into a different middle school because of what I read about Mclane. However, my fears have been relieved. We went to 6th grade orientation and I was confused. Where were all of these undisciplined criminal children that I read about? Where were these teachers who didn't care about the students?? Our experience at orientation was great and I had no negative thoughts leaving. Fast forward a few weeks. I get a phone call stating that the children were put on lock down because another child brought a BB gun to school. I was appreciative of the lockdown procedures and the automatic phone call. You can't blame one bad decision on all of the kids nor the staff... plenty of kids in all districts make bad decisions thinking they wont get caught. You guys are complaining about the kids not bringing home homework? That's so silly. My son brought home 4 A's and 2 B's on his progress report, and he has all advanced classes by the way (which are state regulated). If he's learning everything he needs to learn in class, why would he need homework? The Principle and her staff are doing their very best to turn the negative perceptions of Mclane into positive perceptions. This school has surprised my family. My son feels safe and comfortable going to school. He's made great friends and has great teachers that truly care. I keep in constant contact with his teachers and they all respond back within a few hours of receiving my emails. If you think this school is bad, you are misinformed. Mclane is not a bad school. Signed- Proud and supportive parent

306 North Knights Avenue, Brandon, FL  33510
Last modified Mclane Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 2 out of 10 based on academic quality.