Limona Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 467 students

Sweep tile

Posted September 5, 2013

Our son attended 2 years at Limona. Believe what you read about rude & uncaring staff. The front office staff never smiles and we were never greeted friendly. Our son has medical issues (stomach) & under doctors care; the school was well aware of this. However, they did not mention anything ALL year about putting him on a 504 Plan in order to assist our son; rather their solution was to hold him back. The "assistant nurse" is a joke. She has yelled at our son on several occasions; making our son cry. His 1st grade teacher was great but she is now retired. His 2nd grade teacher, is related to the "assistant nurse" and she also has a habit of yelling at the children. When addressing these concerns with the Principle she seemed involved but always took the side the teacher/nurse and not for the best interest of our son. We are not the type of people to complain but this school seriously needs to be evaluated. Their test scores may be high but their genuine concern for children is lacking, to say the least. We have since transferred to the school down the road and are extremely happy that we did. Our son actually looks forward to going to school now.

Posted September 27, 2011

I couldn't agree more.. This school has some very rude staff who does no wrong. My son has felt uncomfortable since he started and for good reason. His one teacher could care less how he is adjusting and brushes him off as annoying. My daughter tells me her teacher is too busy to listen to her when she is having a problem. The lady walking around directing cars for student pick up has a chip on her shoulder and is very rude with no consideration to the parents. the front desk however, seems genuine about concerns with parents and students.. it would be nice if other staff members could follow.

Posted August 19, 2011

Best elementary school in the Brandon area, didn't think I would be back but here Iam with another grand child

Posted March 11, 2011

My daughter attended Limona a few years ago & now I pick-up kids for my after school program and through all the 8 years I've been associated with this school I can say I've had nothing but the best things to say about the teachers, principal and the car/bus line!!! Thank-you, from The After School Academy

Posted October 7, 2010

I had to respond regarding the poster who said the principal and the front office staff could be more friendly. I find that to be the opposite. They know me when I go there even tho I am not one of the parents who hangs around helping in class, etc. The principal handled a complaint of mine very professionally and took me seriously. I guess it's just hard for them to convince a parent they are wrong in a nice way, when, in fact they are wrong. I also guess it's hard to be friendly with a parent who has a chip on her shoulder. ;)

Posted May 26, 2010

My son attened Limona for 3 years and my daughter is now in her 3rd year there as well, so I've had a few yrs to form an opinion. The teachers are great, although there seems to be a clique amongst them & their children (who attend Limona) which can make many situations uncomfortable for the kids & parents. The principal is very unfriendly, biased & can be blantantly rude. She doesnt care to actually listen to your side of any story, their school or staff do no wrong and they never accept responsibilty for anything. And the ladies in the front office could be nicer, they must really hate their job because they are always in a bad mood! Limona would be a GREAT school if it had a friendlier & less biased leadership and staff!

Posted May 25, 2010

I see where one of the prior reviews states that Limona is overcrowded. I beg to differ. I have two children in Limona and one has 15 kids in her class and the other 16. I think that is awesome!

Posted May 25, 2010

I took my son out of this school and feel it was a good decision., He was at Limona three years, the teachers could not control the bad behavior in the classrooms and many times the bad behavior was what recd lots of attn and good students were left to fend for themselves. I met with the teacher and principal multiple times and I truly feel the principal would say things that weren't true and she tried to make me feel like I was being overly judgmental. I think the principal made statements that were just words that sounded good but had no basis in fact. I had a meeting with the asst principal and she upset my son by disregarding his feelings so much he didn't want to go back to the school. The teacher favored the girls over the boys and had a hard time controlling the class.

Posted October 25, 2008

Limona is by far the best school that I have ever been involved with. I used to teach at Limona until we had our first daughter and began to stay home with her. The teachers that I worked alongside went far above and beyond to meet the individual needs of their students. The principal is efficient, effective, and works very hard, this school has been an 'A' school for many years! Now that my own child has begun going to school, my positive experiences with Limona are even more solidified. If we could move back to Brandon so that our own daughters could attend Limona, we would do it in a heart beat. We would be lucky to attend a school as good as Limona. Hanneke Olson
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted July 7, 2008

I love this school. My family and I moved from New York and from the beginning we loved this school. It will be my daughter's 3rd year and my son will start next year.

Posted July 3, 2008

Nice school but very overcrowded. Not very impressed with my child's teacher or the administration.

Posted April 1, 2008

This is my son's first year at Limona and he and myself absolutely love it. His teacher has been wonderful and is always there for any concerns a parent would have. He will definately continue his grade school years through this elementary school.

Posted March 22, 2008

Excellent school. Both of my sons attended there, and I cannot say enough about the high quality expected of them while attending, and how far they came academically. I have nothing but praise for this wonderful school!

Posted June 3, 2007

Limona Elementary School is amazing. My eldest daughter attended the school from kindergarten through fifth grade. My middle daughter attended Limona from fifth grade through third grade. I moved my middle daughter to another elementary school for fourth grade because I was having another baby and she could walk to the school we were zoned for. That was the biggest mistake I ever made! I had been spoiled by the wonderful principal, teachers, and staff at Limona. I knew that Limona was an excellent school, but I didn't realize how far superior to other schools they were until I experienced another school. My daughter will be returning to Limona for fifth grade because it is the best school in the county and totally worth the 20-30 minute drive to get there from our house. Also, the uniforms are wonderful, especially when it comes to getting the kids dressed in the morning!

Posted April 22, 2007

Parent involvement/volunteering are not encouraged at Limona Elementary. The PTA is non-existent and very low quality. No one knows what the PTA even does. Limona s teachers are arrogant, do not listen to feedback, and want parents to be seen and not heard. They are extremely defensive and not open to simple communication. Families who are new to the school struggle to find information and are often intimidated to ask for help. Teachers and the administration roll their eyes and complain about parents who simply ask questions. The front office team seems to resent their jobs. With the right management team or maybe even help from the School Board, this school could be great!

Posted October 31, 2006

This is my daughters first year at Limona. She is in Kindergarten. We were fortunate enough to get into the school choice program as she has been at a private daycare which buses to Limona. Her teacher is absolutely wonderful. My daughter is reading already! The teacher pushes the children beyond what we think they are capable of, and it's working! The school is very structured, which I like. We feel very blessed to be a part of such a great school!

Posted June 10, 2006

It has been a very unjoyable experience at this school.Our children will be going to another school.The principal is unfriendly,and she and the staff have a policy of yelling at children at the pick up line.This behavior carries over to the school patrol children who also yell at children,when they are not looking disinterested in helping younger children to their cars.Also the ese program consists of them watching many movies and their is not a 'continuous progress' program as they claim.Also a lack of vision with this school as well as very lttle if any extracurricular activities.

Posted June 23, 2005

I believe Limona is a wonderful school. The school is very organized. It has teachers and staff that seem to go the distance for their students.

Posted April 7, 2005

My son started kindergarten at Limona elementary in 2005. He has had a wonderful experience and has the most wonderful teacher. We came from a small, private day school for preschool and there has been some adjustment for me about the stricter policies and more structured atmosphere. I volunteer one afternoon a week in his class and strongly encourage involvement in the school. The principal seems very formal and serious, but I know that her first concern is the safety of the students and I have come to appreciate that. There is a uniform policy, which I am not fond of, but we are adjusting. I highly recommend the school and I look forward to his years there.

Posted January 17, 2005

Great School, wonderful parent involvement.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

68 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2013.

65 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 53% in 2013.

77 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

79 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Asian 6% 3%

Other degree 0%N/A2%

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1115 Telfair Rd