Branford High School

Public | 6-12 | 677 students

Posted May 30, 2012

Alumni/Parent. Great place for a tween/teen. It is a small town, so many parents and teachers have existing relationships. The "last name" advantage has been decried for 50 years but the names referenced change with each class, depending on which teachers have kids in school and which parents are involved. Because the town only has one elementary and one high school, relationships also carry over. The offerings are limited, but the ag and art programs are top notch, and both encourage parental involvement. In extra-curriculars, generally everybody who wants to play, perform or compete makes the team. You can expect everyone to all know your kid's name, and yours, to the extent that you are involved in extra-curriculars. Teachers are friendly and invest a lot of care into each student, and it shows. This school consistently graduates fine young people who are mature, polite, and assets to their colleges, workplaces and communities. I employ two of them myself. You have to stay on top of the guidance office, but there are high expectations for the new principal and vice-principal, both of whom were successful teachers at the school. Test scores are the best in the county and area.

Posted December 1, 2010

I have to say that I have had my children in Branford school system for four years. I have two at the BHS and one at BES. I would say that there are egos. I have to say my children have done well within school. I am personally not impressed with the new Principal and vice-Principal at the HS. I feel the welcome feeling that I used to recieve from the old Principal was much better. I feel very disconnected when it comes to the HS and very connected with the ELM. I am hoping the HS will work itself out and get better at passing along information.

Posted November 20, 2009

I have two children at BHS and a child at BES. I can honestly say that most of the teachers and faculty, are absolutely wonderful. But, unfortunately, you do have those few that are there for the wrong reason, such as just making money instead of actually caring. I believe that some of the reviews I have read here are true. You have to be connected to someone who is connected, or have the right last name to get the respect every child in these schools deserve. I also, on the other hand know a few children who attend these schools, who are connected or have the right name, that are treated just as poorly as other children. I think that the 'Clicks and Name' issues are going to be ongoing forever. Your child deserves better. So, fight it or be quiet. Don't be scared to care.

Posted May 26, 2009

We have moved our children to another district. This has been a wonderful move both socially and academically. I went to this school as a child, and could not have asked for a better experience. This has changed enormously. What a disappointment. We have seen a two letter improvement in grades as well as much less frustration in our students due to the quality of help at our new school. It is quite obvious that politics, rather than education is the priority at Branford. The elementary school, however, is outstanding. If you are looking for a school that will prepare your child for college as well as real life, This is not the place for you!

Posted November 25, 2008

I have went to Branford all my life. MY senior year i decided i wanted to dual enroll at lake city. I can honestly say the teachers at Branford did Prepare me very well in all areas education. Not only did they teach me what i needed to learn but they helped me with math problems i didnt get on my own time, or with my esay that i had due. They were caring and always helpful . As Student Body President, and Varsity cheerleading captain I talk to alot of the students who attend Branford, and the new ones we get too! Everyone i talk to enjoys the atmosphere here. Of course, there are gonna be the teachers you cant stand and the ones you call 'mean', but over all Branford is a place you can feel free to be yourself.

Posted October 29, 2008

This is the best school in Suwannee county

Posted October 17, 2008

I am a former student of BHS. I have since gone on to college to obtain a degree. BHS is adequate if you have no intention of taking your education seriously. When I got to college I realized how much I did not know. I was so unprepared, and sadly I think that the school has only worsened.

Posted June 12, 2008

I have a daughter in this school for the first year. She loves it. The teachers are easy to get a hold of when you have questions. They respond quickly and really care about their students. My child is suppose to be at another school but, I researched and found this one to be the best in the district.

Posted April 15, 2008

BHS rox! This school is full of caring teachers, staff members and students. Even though this is a small town school the people have a certain quality that sets them apart from any other school. They welcome any new commer like that person has always been there and like they have know you for ever. Teachers know what is happening at every given second and they take great care of the students. This school is tops!

Posted May 23, 2007

BHS is a great school full of teachers and staff that are dedicated to their students.Parents who are not pleased with the teachers or administration maybe should take a look at the roles they have in their childs life,it is always easy to put the blame on someone else.I participate and take an active stand in my childs education.The programs are great,the classroom size is small,making it possible for more one on one learning.My hands come together and I thank the administration,teachers and staff,for a job above and beyond well done.

Posted September 19, 2006

Branford High is the best possible school anyone could ever go to! The worries of crime, guns, or violence is not an issue, and the teachers make sure that will never be a problem! As Alumni of BHS, I can tell you I wasn't even allowed to wear a hat inside any building. This school is definitely a grade A school, just keep your children away from the SKERFS!
—Submitted by a former student

Posted December 6, 2005

Just like all schools, Branford is not perfect. If you are looking for the perfect school, it is very simple, don't send your students to any school on planet earth. The perfect school does not exsist. We have many dedicated and caring teachers and some that don't need to be teaching. There is an outstanding band program. We also have an art program, brain bowl, beta club, and atheletic programs. It depends on what is going on whether you have parent involment. Lots of parent involment if it is sports and not too much involment if it is academic or requires hard work.

Posted July 26, 2005

Teachers work really hard to teach us students. Do try to bend their time to allow us freedom to other activities. I can't say anything about parent involvement,b/c I only know what my own parents and 2 friends parents are doing.

Posted August 17, 2004

Branford Schools are really not that bad. They re actually very good. If you re complaining about Branford School take your kid somewhere else. Branford schools realize kids are not numbers, they realize kids are people with names. At Branford Schools the people DO care about the kids. As for discipline Branford schools have the lowest amounts of problems around. Branford High school is a great learning environment (look at the FCAT scores (the best in the area)), clean, fight free, pleasant, and absolutely a great place to learn. The teachers DO care they for the most part enjoy teaching and have fun doing it. The leadership at Branford is fabulous to say the least. Anyone who doesn t see Branford School as being truly an +A needs to open their eyes. I would trustingly send my child to Branford School any day.

Posted March 7, 2004

I agree with the concensus about the safety and discipline...there is none! As for teacher participation and demonstration of caring, only a few displayed the traits necessary to be a teacher, the majority of them need to find a new line of work! One example: non-reporting of midterm grades. It's appalling to receive grades of F at the end of the grading period - with no opportunity for parent teacher interaction or adequate time for the student to improve their grade.

Posted October 31, 2003

I have three children in the Branford Schools and I must say that I agree with the other writers. I am not very pleased with what the school has to offer our children far as education and any after school advancements. On discipline, I don t think there is none, one day there is rules the next day its as if nothing ever existed. The right name and you get what you want and just about how you want it. I think this school could be one of the greatest, but with a few certain last name people in the school system, well you can just about forget it. Until their families are no longer in school or they retire, the school system will still be known as well above average in the nations school ranks. Hold each teacher and student accountable and watch things change.

Posted September 9, 2003

I have 2 students @ BHS and we are overall very unsatisfied with the faculity and staff.

Posted July 18, 2003

I have two students at BHS. Not all students are given the same chances to succeed or show their potential. Depends on economics, if the coaching staff likes your parents,or if you voice your opinion in any way that presents 'them' in a negative way. Big egos, little integrity, a crying shame some of these people have so much power over our childrens lives...thats about 50 percent. Now the other 50 percent shine so brightly and work so very hard for our kids, that it almost evens out. I have never seen so much incompetence mixed in with so many decent teachers. It's quite the 'diverse' bunch.

Posted April 22, 2003

I have 3 children in Branford. One is a Junior and the other 2 are in Elementary. We feel that the school is run in clicks. It is very hard for a parent to become involved unless you are part of the 'click.' From first hand experience, the teachers are bias. If you come from a well-to-do family, you are more than likely in. You must never express your opinions. You must always go along with what they want and say. Never question their motives or you will be looking on the outside in. There are several wonderful teachers there at Branford who go out of their way to help your child. There are, unfortunately, those teachers who do not care if your child learns. *As long as they get that paycheck.* Think hard before putting your child in Branford.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

98 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

124 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

124 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

102 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

100 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

99 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

112 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

95 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

101 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

82 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

120 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

123 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

102 students were tested at this school in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

56 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • Branford High as been a "B" school and earned AYP Status for the 2005-2006 school term. (2006)
  • Branford High was awarded continued accreditation from the Southern Association of Colleges and Schools, which has been continu (2007)

Arts & music

• (386) 935-3867

Foreign languages taught
  • Spanish

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Sports