Frank W. Springstead High School

Public | 9-12 | 1636 students

Posted August 15, 2014

My daughter attended this school for the 10th grade and we moved to weeki wachee school district and I have done everything I could to keep her in Springstead for the ROTC program that she has participated in for two years going on three. The staff has done nothing to help, given me no helpful information and has been utterly rude to me and my daughter. There is a new principal at the school this year, but it may be too late for my daughter. If they would have given me the proper information I could have applied for special circumstances months ag,o but no one would help. I would prefer my daughter in weeki wachee but unfortunately they don't offer ROTC and this could drastically change the direction of my daughters future and no one seems to care. But if I walked in and said I was homeless and needed my daughter in school, they would be happy to sign her up without documentation....that just doesn't make sense! Now last second waiting to hear where my daughter will be going on Monday morning. The staff at this school really needs to be re evaluated and given some proper manner courses to deal with people!!! So frustrated!!!

Posted August 25, 2013

Honestly, as a sophomore, my freshman experience was mediocre and not memorable, academically. If I walk into the door 5 seconds past the bell, I am sent to the tardy table, where I waste even more time and missing even more class activity. I was prepared for the IB program, but many teachers tended to be insensitive to the workload and didn't care if you were failing or not. That being said, there are the few gems that aimed to connect to the student and teach and help and guide. I have three years to go, and I'm still unsure whether or not Springstead will positively or negatively impact my high school experience.

Posted October 28, 2012

I am very pleased with the school & staff @ springstead high school. My grandson is doing very well academically,he also plays baseball for the EAGLES. I am happy that he attends springstead.

Posted August 30, 2012

This school and its administrators/councelors/teachers are ALL a joke. The lack of concern for these children is simply appalling. There main priority only appears to be test scores NOT the students. This school turned there back on my son when his GPA was low and encouraged him to drop out and get a GED. To make a long story short I signed my son out of this school immediately only to enroll him in another High school and he graduated High School with his diploma,and now is enrolled in Full Sail University. So to assistant principal Ms. Michalicka and the counclers who never thought my son would NEVER make it..THANK YOU FOR BEING THE MOTIVATION BEHIND MY SONS SUCCESS.

Posted August 15, 2012

I have seen this school go steadily downhill in recent years. There appears to be a great lack of control at this school as the students deal with overcrowding; they are subjected to a continuous lack of respect, inappropriate language and behavior, harassment and fighting by their peers; with a seemingly tremendous lack of concern by administrators, counselors and other staff. The main priority appears to be test scores not the students. This makes for a very unpleasant atmosphere for students to 'learn' in. F W Springstead HS is no place for ESE students due to the lack of knowledge, compassion, understanding and training to accommodate students. I have seen questionable practices as administrators/staff appear to have their own set of rules and the freedom to do as they please. Parental involvement is not welcome, other than gathering volunteer hours in extracurricular activities. The only bright side this school seems to have is the theater and music programs, along with some of their sports.

Posted December 14, 2011

I think most of the staff bring down the students self esteem. I am not at all happy with the school. Also their enforcement of tardy-absence borders on ridiculous. Yelling at these kids in hallways, and if they are tardy by a few minutes/seconds and the bell just rang and they are in class with door closing behind them, they get sent to the tardy table which makes them even later and missing start of class and disturbing class. A more positive attitude should be shown to these kids in highschool to particapate more in activities, PE, etc.

Posted December 3, 2011

I moved to Spring Hill in 2003, at that time I enrolled my son into Springstead HS. When my son was in HS there were over sometimes 40 kids or more in his class, the staff was overwhelmed, and disorganized. Some of the teachers tried but with no support from the district office they started to give up. Now it is my daughters turn to be enrolled in Springstead. After the bad experience I had with my son, was expecting the worst for my daughter. But, I was pleasantly surprised, the class sizes are much smaller, the teachers are willing to help. And the staff is just wonderful exspecially my daughters consulor. She was accepted into the wevb design program and she absolutely loves it. The only complaint I have is that the school does not offer enough variety of of electives. I am very happy with this school and I am proud that my daughter is a student at Springstead HS>

Posted December 2, 2011

I want to comment on the athletic part of the school. The athletic director is just their for a pay check. He is not active on creating what every other school has. Its 2011 C'mon man update your school web site. Keep parents and students informed. Post pictures of game highlights and news. I look at other schools we compete with and I am embarrased. The site has not been updated since 2008. Get a new young athletic director who is passionate about the sports and school not just a pay check. This guy now has the personality of a rock. Also start making changes at head coach of the football team. His game plan has not changed in 10 years. Time for someone who knows how to mix it up and run a program.

Posted November 28, 2011

This school is deplorable, my daughter transferred here from a Kentucky high school, if we could go back we would. Springstead behavioral discipline is non-existent. Students publically curse, fondle, kiss, yell and are unruly and disrespectful to peers and teachers. The faculty turns a blind eye to it all. However, their enforcement of tardy-absence borders on ridiculous. My daughter continually gets marked absent for attending approved senior school functions and the teacher gives her 30 minute lectures about how it's NOT HER JOB to correct the absence. If you have a choice, don't send your children here. It's a small town, but this high school is straight out of inner city Detroit (where I went to school, and it sucked).

Posted June 26, 2011

I cannot begin to say how proud I am that I graduated from Springstead High School. I recieved an amazing education by inspiring teachers and a great faculty who I know care for their students like we are their own children. I've never heard of a student getting OSS for three days because of one tardy...I know this because I have been tardy before and that has never happened. They give all their students chances when they make mistakes (like being tardy) and make it a point to relate with us on a personal level. Springstead houses some of the best teachers in Hernando County. We now have the IB program and an overwhelming amount of AP classes available. The electives to choose from are abundant also, with our Band and Theater program leading the way as some of the best in the county. I reccomend any parent who is thinking about enrolling their child in school in Spring Hill to consider Springstead!

Posted September 25, 2009

Springstead is filled with teachers that actually care that we succeed. I am proud to be part of it and the IB program.

Posted April 5, 2009

I agree with most of the parents reviews. The principal is nonexistant, the V.P. never remembers anything we have discussed prior and my son is always suspended for being late to class. I understand, its important to be on time but getting a 3 day OSS for each tardy is insane. The teachers tell me that my son is a pleasure to have in class, very polite. He just recieved a combined OSS of 10 days and failed several classes this marking because he is not allowed to make up any work when suspended. Thats 10 F's for each class (during exam week too).

Posted March 6, 2009

Almost every day I'm glad to get up and go to Springstead. I just recently got home from an FVA, (Florida Vocal Association) competition and we placed straight superiors. Not only were we the only high school to achieve superior, but we were also the only high school to get straight superiors, which is amazing.! The art program is great, the band program and the chorus program are one of the top rated in the state. Classes are great and there are so many options for a student to embrace; such as: IB/DE, Honors, AP, musical arts, art, computer, and much, much more. We've always been top rated in the county, and probably even the state. I'm glad I'm a student at F.W. Springstead High School.:D

Posted March 2, 2009

Springstead is an excellent school. It is a B school which is fantastic considering Florida's average school rating. It also has the only IB Program in Hernando County.

Posted January 28, 2009

The band program they provide over at Springstead is fantastic! Mr. Dasher is a wonderful teacher and is great that students can learn from him. As some people I know would say, Mr. Dasher rocks!

Posted November 4, 2008

springsread is a great schoo thay have anmazing drama department band and choris what more is their to say if you have any intrest in art this is the school for you

Posted January 25, 2008

Maybe if teachers had a raise in their wages, they would have an incentive to work harder. I, personally, believe Springstead is a school of merit and it should receive more credit for what its staff and faculty do. I have been enrolled in a number of AP/DE courses and I strive to grasp the most I can out of my education. Those parents that don't like Springstead probably are receiving skewed perspectives from their children and are not involved enough in their child's education to see that there is good in this school. Unfortunately, Florida ranks just about the 50th out of all the states in the U.S. in positive standards of education. Maybe it's because the first thing that the government cuts when money is low is funding for public education... lets see what can be done for Springstead, other schools, our children, and generations to come.

Posted November 5, 2007

Lack of communication from both teachers and councelors. Over crowding of the basics (math, english, reading, history, etc.) On the other hand, the band program is phenominal, and if your child is interested in Marching Band, Mr. Dasher's guidance and commitment will be hard to top!

Posted September 28, 2007

Springstead offers many opportunities for students to excel. The ROTC program is one of the best. As parents, it is our responsibility to keep up with our (almost adult) children, not the school's responsibility. It's sad to think there are people who still think school is a baby-sitting service.

Posted September 28, 2007

I have to say I am very impressed with Springstead. I enjoyed meeting my sons teachers at the open house. I think it is wonderful how they are available with tutoring if needed and explained what there plan for this school year will be. Plus how each child has been informed on upcoming events,and homework projects. They get 5 stars from me. I love there art departments too, they work very very hard. Way to go ! !

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

428 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

371 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

378 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

424 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "B".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

275 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

469 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

413 students were tested at this school in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

377 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 11%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

3300 Mariner Blvd