1,702 students|Hernando

Bad
Good

Frank W. Springstead High School 4

Posted October 28, 2015
My daughter has been to 3 High Schools based upon our military requirements and let me tell you Springstead is BY FAR the best. Dont get me wrong, there are issues, overcrowding, faculty disconnect, and the usual bullying issues. However, Springstead has the best run administration Ive seen. They hold the students accountable for their actions and attempt to treat all students the same. Dress code is strictly enforced (a good thing). Lunch is 30 minutes long allowing the students enough time to eat and go to class. Again, Springstead has its issues, but overall its a great school!

Posted October 11, 2015
Dress code very strict. If your shirt shows any shoulder you're in trouble. Even if you're wearing a jacket over it. Some teachers don't even really teach! They give you a textbook and tell you to figure it out. The football team stinks. Most of the Spanish teachers stink. Kids are thrown into AP classes just so the school can get more money. You practically pay fees for most of your classes. The current way school lunch is set up leaves little time for students to eat- the fact the school is overpopulated does not help at all. The time to travel between classes is way too small and teachers constantly say you should have gone to the bathroom between classes but you never get the chance. There is so much homework you'd be lucky if you have any time to do anything else after school unless you're willing to stay up to midnight. IB students get special treatment. The school reeks, the bathrooms are disgusting and half the sinks don't even work, there's cockroaches everywhere. The coffee is gross, most of the food is. Teachers are invasive. The only good parts are band and Latin.

Posted February 16, 2015
In 2014-2015, as a new principle and new administration comes in Springstead. I have seen the changes as bad ones. They think they know everything and they don't even realize how hard it could be with all the new changes including the testing. Now there will be tests called yellow testing. Which still including the 6 EOC of all of the classes, the SAT, and the PAT. It would be a great school if they stop making kids worried about getting the best scores. I have even heard students talking about Christmas treeing all of the new testes. But don't get me wrong. Most teachers think this is ridiculous. But they can't say anything because they'll get fired or the administration won't listen because the adminstration think they know everything.

Posted August 15, 2014
My daughter attended this school for the 10th grade and we moved to weeki wachee school district and I have done everything I could to keep her in Springstead for the ROTC program that she has participated in for two years going on three. The staff has done nothing to help, given me no helpful information and has been utterly rude to me and my daughter. There is a new principal at the school this year, but it may be too late for my daughter. If they would have given me the proper information I could have applied for special circumstances months ag,o but no one would help. I would prefer my daughter in weeki wachee but unfortunately they don't offer ROTC and this could drastically change the direction of my daughters future and no one seems to care. But if I walked in and said I was homeless and needed my daughter in school, they would be happy to sign her up without documentation....that just doesn't make sense! Now last second waiting to hear where my daughter will be going on Monday morning. The staff at this school really needs to be re evaluated and given some proper manner courses to deal with people!!! So frustrated!!!

Posted August 25, 2013
Honestly, as a sophomore, my freshman experience was mediocre and not memorable, academically. If I walk into the door 5 seconds past the bell, I am sent to the tardy table, where I waste even more time and missing even more class activity. I was prepared for the IB program, but many teachers tended to be insensitive to the workload and didn't care if you were failing or not. That being said, there are the few gems that aimed to connect to the student and teach and help and guide. I have three years to go, and I'm still unsure whether or not Springstead will positively or negatively impact my high school experience.

Frank W. Springstead High School 4

Posted October 28, 2012
I am very pleased with the school & staff @ springstead high school. My grandson is doing very well academically,he also plays baseball for the EAGLES. I am happy that he attends springstead.

Posted August 30, 2012
This school and its administrators/councelors/teachers are ALL a joke. The lack of concern for these children is simply appalling. There main priority only appears to be test scores NOT the students. This school turned there back on my son when his GPA was low and encouraged him to drop out and get a GED. To make a long story short I signed my son out of this school immediately only to enroll him in another High school and he graduated High School with his diploma,and now is enrolled in Full Sail University. So to assistant principal Ms. Michalicka and the counclers who never thought my son would NEVER make it..THANK YOU FOR BEING THE MOTIVATION BEHIND MY SONS SUCCESS.

Frank W. Springstead High School 2

Posted August 15, 2012
I have seen this school go steadily downhill in recent years. There appears to be a great lack of control at this school as the students deal with overcrowding; they are subjected to a continuous lack of respect, inappropriate language and behavior, harassment and fighting by their peers; with a seemingly tremendous lack of concern by administrators, counselors and other staff. The main priority appears to be test scores not the students. This makes for a very unpleasant atmosphere for students to 'learn' in. F W Springstead HS is no place for ESE students due to the lack of knowledge, compassion, understanding and training to accommodate students. I have seen questionable practices as administrators/staff appear to have their own set of rules and the freedom to do as they please. Parental involvement is not welcome, other than gathering volunteer hours in extracurricular activities. The only bright side this school seems to have is the theater and music programs, along with some of their sports.

Posted December 14, 2011
I think most of the staff bring down the students self esteem. I am not at all happy with the school. Also their enforcement of tardy-absence borders on ridiculous. Yelling at these kids in hallways, and if they are tardy by a few minutes/seconds and the bell just rang and they are in class with door closing behind them, they get sent to the tardy table which makes them even later and missing start of class and disturbing class. A more positive attitude should be shown to these kids in highschool to particapate more in activities, PE, etc.

Frank W. Springstead High School 5

Posted December 03, 2011
I moved to Spring Hill in 2003, at that time I enrolled my son into Springstead HS. When my son was in HS there were over sometimes 40 kids or more in his class, the staff was overwhelmed, and disorganized. Some of the teachers tried but with no support from the district office they started to give up. Now it is my daughters turn to be enrolled in Springstead. After the bad experience I had with my son, was expecting the worst for my daughter. But, I was pleasantly surprised, the class sizes are much smaller, the teachers are willing to help. And the staff is just wonderful exspecially my daughters consulor. She was accepted into the wevb design program and she absolutely loves it. The only complaint I have is that the school does not offer enough variety of of electives. I am very happy with this school and I am proud that my daughter is a student at Springstead HS>

Frank W. Springstead High School
3300 Mariner Blvd, Brooksville, FL  34609-2799
Last modified Frank W. Springstead High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.