Powell Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 824 students

Posted March 23, 2014

This school has come a long way with the current administration. The office staff, teachers and even the custodians are so helpful and have the children's best interest at heart! Way to go Panthers!!

Posted October 20, 2013

This school is by far the worst school ever, I have been to! I have been called names, the teachers take to much favorism, the princible is a mess, isn't she supposed to get to school before anyone else?! Some teachers buy other student presents, I think that's wrong, if your going to do tiny do it privately! Oh yeah there is this hing called panting I the locker room, I suppose the pe teachers have no control? I don't like this, I'm going to a new school next year for sure!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Posted July 16, 2013

My daughter is starting 8th grade, and with the exception of 1 teacher, we have had nothing but excellent teachers. The chorus program is phenominal and is the main reason we chose this school. If your child is interested in the arts, this is the school to attend!

Posted October 21, 2012

I am in the 8th grade, and this is my first year at Powell, and..I HATE IT. I just moved here from a different state. It's terrible at Powell. Students can say profanity, and all they'd get is a "Watch your language!" At my old school, we'd get in huge trouble. And the students at Powell, oh my lord.. they're all smokers, and getting arrested, stuff like that. There are SO MANY fights here, too. We had like 2 fights a year at my old school. If you were ever thinking about letting your child go to Powell, don't. Send them to Challenger K-8, Winding Waters K-8, D.S. Parrot, etc. I used to love school, but once I came to Powell..I already hate Powell and I've been here only about 9 weeks. If there was an option to put zero stars on the star rating, I would.

Posted May 23, 2012

My son has attend this school for three years now. The teachers are very helpful, always response to emails. The track team was great my son is one of there top runners. Mr. C is awesome. Coach uncle buck is great. Unfortunately they are losing some teachers to budget cuts.

Posted May 4, 2012

Kids are nothing but bullies, teachers really don't care. The teachers have their favorites and if you're not on their list oh well. Dance teacher doesn't give anyone group or solo parts if they aren't one of her favorites. Teachers watch bullying going on but won't say anything. This has been the worst 3 years of my daughters life. I am so glad she has only 1 more month to go and then can go on to a better school. My daughter stays out of trouble but the teachers treat her horribly. One student has been in so much trouble but they won't kick her out. It's not a safe school at all. My daughter always liked school till these last 3 years. I also do not feel they promote academics as much as their performing arts. Academics should always come first.

Posted December 3, 2011

This school doesn't really care if the students learn anything or even if they WANT to learn. The new principal is terrible and the students are out of control.

Posted May 25, 2011

It seems to me that this school is more interested in keeping the teachers that don't put any effort into their actual teaching and they get rid of the ones that actually CARE about the students. They are more focused on disciplining the students and creating ridiculous rules than actually making sure the students there flourish and are prepared for high school. It's a middle school, not the military. Keep the good teachers and get rid of the bad ones. It's funny to me how the teachers that have students with high test scores are the ones being fired. THAT'S a good way to ensure you get money for that budget.

Posted December 15, 2010

This school is a great and safe school. The teachers and administrators deal with all this issues and they do not tolerate bad behavior! We moved down to this district 2 years ago from up north and I have been very pleased with Powell Middle School. I'm extremely happy that my children attend this school. Some of the other schools in the district are lacking in the discipline category however, not Powell. This school is not afraid to deal with the very few problem students that attend Powell!

Posted November 6, 2010

I attend Powell Middle School. I'm a 6th grader and this is my first year here. So far it has impressed me. Although, the Geography teacher is my main problem. She barely helps you. Her name is Mrs. Bradley. And i'm not saying ALL the 7th graders do this, but a few of them are complete snobs. But most of them are fair. The eighth graders don't bother anyone. I currently have 5 B's(Math, Dance, Science, Band, PE,) 1 C(Advanced Language Arts,) and 1 D(GEOGRAPHY)

Posted November 5, 2009

This school is amazing the teachers are understanding and helpful and the students are very amazing

Posted October 3, 2009

safety and education are the most important things to me for the children and Powell provides these. Great school. And I know this from past experiences we have had with other schools. GO PANTHERS!!!!

Posted August 25, 2009

Powell Middle School Is TERRIBLE. I Hate It & All The Teahers There. They're Too Focused On Getting Kidss In Trouble All The Time.

Posted August 8, 2009

I love this school. The teachers here are nice.

Posted June 26, 2009

I think the teachers here are very helpful and their programs are outstanding

Posted May 30, 2009

I am a student at Powell and I think it is a great school there are nice teachers a lot of the students are easy to get along with and there are very few fights and I am part of the student government and planning to stay in it next year too we have done a lot to help the school we have helped with the P.BS. (positive behavior System) we plan the school dances the field trips and pep rallies and a whole lot more so not only are you getting help and support from the teachers staff and admin. your kid also gets help from the student government and when we plan stuff like that we also keep the students interests in mind. there are also after school tutoring with math reading even art and science. This school also has students working on the year book.

Posted May 16, 2009

Although I do appreciate the things the new principal has done to improve the school, I am sad to say there is a lot more to be done. My son is in the eighth grade and extremely bright but I feel as though he has not been prepared for highschool at all. The teachers at Powell, with the exception of a few, are below par. My son is in pre-ap classes and the teachers either don't teach and expect the kids to learn it on their own or they don't even apeak proper english! It is amazing to me! I really hope they clean house one day for the sake of the students. I don't think high school is much better. Kids don't do their work and are able to make it up at the end of the quarter???? How are they learning from this? I could go on and on!

Posted May 15, 2009

Teachers, including Administration, seem to be more focused on discipline than a student's education. I'm in eighth grade and have been going to Powell Middle School for three years. I truly do regret going to this school as it has brought me nothing but trouble. While students are raising their hands to ask a question the teachers are across the room screaming, disciplining another student. And, before you know it, class is over. Goodbye Powell!

Posted October 5, 2008

I hate this school. It is absolutley terrible. Busses are always crowded, kids are cruel, you get made fun of, terrible teachers. I do not reccomend this school at all. I have been here for two years. My friends are the only thing that really get me to wake up at 5:30 am in the morning! the teachers let us run in the hallways, make fun of people, and there are bad fights. All the time.

Posted December 10, 2007

I love powell middle school! It's the best!

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

249 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

251 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

268 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

270 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

307 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

306 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

303 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

305 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

316 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "B".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 20%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Assistant principal(s)
Reading specialist(s)
School psychologist
School social worker/counselors(s)
Security personnel
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Special education / special needs

• Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Computer lab
  • Science lab

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• PE instructor(s)
  • School psychologist
  • Access to sports fields
  • Gym
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
needs to be verified by school leaders.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school

• Math specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
  • Gym
  • Internet access
  • Learning lab
  • Library
  • Multi-purpose room ("cafegymatorium")
  • Music room

• Video / Film production

School culture

• Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Coach sports teams or extracurricular activities
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom