Callahan Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 806 students

Posted July 30, 2013

I'm a former student of Callahan Middle and my experience there was not a great one. I faced bullying and many teachers that only cared about you when you started failing and your parents got involved. The only thing we ever really focused on anyway was FCAT and that does not get you very far. My sister now goes here and faces constant bullying even though we have repeatedly informed the principal and many of the staff. So over all I feel that this school is a real let down.

Posted June 18, 2013

I am a former CMS teacher. I now feel free to say that Principal Ellen Ryan is a fantastic effective transformational educational leader. Ms. Ryan's high standards will help your child/children succeed in our exceedingly advanced ever evolving competitive technical local and global job market. CMS is extremely fortunate to have Ellen Ryan as its principal. Assistant Principal Underhill is one of the most patient thoughtful helpful people I have ever met. Mr. Underhill carves time out of his unbelievable busy schedule to individually assist the students, teachers, and staff. The faculty and staff at CMS are hardworking dedicated professionals who truly care about all the students and work endlessly to improve the school program to prepare students to become self-sufficient successful highly valued contributing members of the local community and national society. If you have any concerns, I urge you to contact the teachers, and/or administrators immediately. I know for a fact that the professional educators at Callahan Middle School want to work with you to provide your child/children with the best educational experience possible. Best wishes, E.Hofstedt

Posted June 14, 2013

We went to the chorus concert last night and was pleasantly surprised in one week camp how great the young ladies and gentleman sounded. It was nice to see a good crowd as well there to support the young adults as well. I look forward to the up and coming school year as my child continues her education and learning skills as she continues to grow and become a woman of the modern ages. I know if she continues this road she will be successful and also a contributor not only to this community but wherever she goes. I also had the pleasure of meeting some of the school board staff as they were in attendance and showing support as well. With one year of this school in the past and 2 more to go, I am well satisfied with all areas of what this school has to offer the youth including positive role models as well. Thank you for allowing me the opportunity to express my opinion of not only what my child has learned and will continue to learn over the next couple of years but as a parent as well. God bless :)

Posted June 13, 2013

Callahan Middle has many opportunities for student involvement. Student Government, Math Counts and Robotics Club are just a few of the great activities this school offers. In addition, this past year the school was part of the National Geographic Bee which proved to be very beneficial. Not only does this school offer scholastic involvement, it also allows for involvement in sports - track, soccer, football, softball, basketball, volleyball and cheerleading. From a parent's standpoint, the School Advisory Council is for you. Being part of this group allows for you, as a parent, to be in touch with what's happening at school. Additionally, the leadership at the school is always available. I feel they have an open-door policy. Great school!

Posted June 13, 2013

Overall, I was very impressed with Callahan Middle School. As a new teacher I felt very welcomed by the principal, fellow teachers, and staff. The teachers collaborate through subject area and grade level teams to analyze student success, share new teaching strategies, and plan enrichment activities. I felt the principal, Ellen Ryan, was very supportive and provided me with guidance as a new teacher. Additionally, she is always pushing her students to the next level of success by providing them with extracurricular activities such as Math Counts, Robotics Club, Spelling Bee, and Geography Bee. No matter what a student's talent may be, Ellen Ryan is ensuring that they will be in an environment to thrive. I enjoyed my time at CMS and feel blessed to have begun my teaching career there.

Posted June 13, 2013

This fun and supportive school has several clubs...the Choral Camp Mrs. Salis puts on is spectacular...the students learn so much about music, singing, and performing! The teacher puts so much personal time and money into it... this shows how much she cares! This goes for many of the other teachers at this school, as well!

Posted June 12, 2013

The Chorus at Callahan Middle School is truly fabulous. Even though they meet only once a week for an hour every Wednesday, they work hard to learn music that they perform around Nassau County Florida and in the Florida Vocal Association's Choral and Solo & Ensemble MPA events. Ellen Ryan, the CMS Principal, is their greatest supporter both financially and within the school setting. The CMS Rambler Chorus is proud to represent themselves, their family, their community and Nassau County Schools.

Posted May 31, 2013

I have had the distinct pleasure of being a member of the CMS faculty and I can confidently say that this is a GREAT school. The teachers are excellent, dedicated, and most of all, hardworking. The school is organized in many ways including grade level teams and subject area teams and all teachers are involved in an activity, sport, club, or production. As a teacher I felt supported and encouraged by the Ms. Ryan, the principal, and administration. Parents are informed of school activities via newsletters, phone tree messages, and a well maintained website. I have worked at several schools and I have never seen such a friendly and cooperative faculty. Five starts for Callahan Middle School!

Posted May 29, 2013

CMS is awesome. I've had the misfortune of experiencing public schools in Duval County, and I would like to commend CMS!! This is a terrific school in which to send your middle school students. They have active an active SAC (school advisory council), PTO, sports, band, drama, math club, Robotics club, gardening club, etc. There is something for everyone. Both of my daughters received excellent middle school educations that included challenging honors classes, gifted classes, and high school Algebra!! My daughter actually earned her high school credit for Algebra in middle school. I can't say enough about how wonderful everyone is at this school, from the office staff, to the teachers and students, to the custodial staff. Thank you for a wonderful middle school experience!!

Posted May 29, 2013

I would like to let everyone know what a wonderful school Callahan Middle School (CMS) is. I am grateful my children were able to attend this school for the many reasons. The level of education they received was challenging yet attainable. I've been a volunteer with the school as well, and I'm very pleased with the way students and families are treated. I've proud to say that CMS has earned an A for 10 years in a row. This isn't an easy task. It requires the entire school to work toward this achievement. CMS definitely takes your child's education seriously and will not let you down.

Posted May 29, 2013

Callahan Middle School is a great school. I'm a student there. I saw this website, and thought I would tell you that I've had a great year at Callahan Middle. We had fun running for student government. I didn't win, but the people that won are really nice. I like the morning announcements because I get to see my friends on them. Maybe next year, I will sign up for this class. There have been times that I didn't understand my work, but my teacher helps me without making me feel stupid. I'm in a L/A class where we made books this year. It was a really great project. I learned all about the process of making a book. I learned how to write it and put all the parts together including the title page, pictures, and we even covered it with stuff that looks like a real book. Mrs. Braddock and Mr. Bryan are the best teachers there!

Posted May 28, 2013

My school is a very successful one! The staff have really defined and determined learning goals, and they have apparently been put to use in extraordinary ways! I am a student, and I have experienced the teachers will to help students in any way possible. The best part about CMS, to me, is all the extracurricular activities there are! And better yet, the school will let you participate in everything as long as you are able to. There is band, Drama Club, sports, Student Government, Art Club, Office Aide, Teacher Aide, Robotics Club, the gifted program, and even a math club! The school is at your hands, but there are rules! As for the student/social problems, the guidance counselors will help you overcome bullying or friendship problems with useful and surprising techniques! I say this with proof, because I have experienced having help from the hands of the guidance counselors. The staff at this school not only want students to succeed, but also to be successful with people and know that you are your own person, and you make your own decisions!

Posted June 18, 2012

I am a student here at Callahan Middle School and play the Baritone. Our band director is, I think, the best teacher there. He's funny at times but mostly serious. I dont think many people expect the talent that comes out of Callahan Middle Schools band program.We're a small country town (i say that lightly) which no one thinks has anything to interesting or as special as our band. The band has earned superior multiple times under the direction of our band teacher because of his amazing ways of teaching that most people would cosider childs play but when you put his teachigs to work you find that that there is a method to his madness.This is a reason our band is the best band in Nassau County. we may have only made a Exellent in our 2012 MPA. but the reason is the malority of the band was made up of 7th graders and i dont really count one performance as a measure of how great our band really is. Next year we will be mostly 8th graders and we will be right where we belong with the other superior bands in North Central Florida. I guess i want to thank our band director for all he has done to help me and my class mates with our instruments and i want to thank him for being our friend.

Posted September 1, 2011

CMS is a very student-oriented school with amazing teachers and staff. They have many activities and enrichment opportunities in which my child benefited. He was in the band, drama club, art contests, tv production and the science fair. He wanted to participate in the Student Government and chorus like his friends, but he couldn t do it all. My son transferred to CMS from another middle school where he was bullied and labeled as having an attitude problem. He made friends and found his classes to be fun and challenging. I think CMS helped transform my child into an achiever. The CMS teachers were awesome and they returned my emails usually on the same day. They were very supportive of my son. I was happy to see both his school grades and FCAT scores go up for the first time in two years. As CMS principal, Ms. Ryan s leadership was evident in the school as all the staff seemed to focus on what was best, academically and socially, for the students. My child soared as CMS. It s a great public school.

Posted August 8, 2011

CMS is a great school. The teachers are fantastic, and most do the best they can to make sure that us students learn something, and make it somewhat enjoyable. Sure, there are bullies, I get picked on a bit, but the teachers do the best they can to stop it. Mrs. Ryan tries her hardest to make the school a clean place, but most of the kids don't have any respect for the school littering and complaining about how much work we get and all that jazz. It's a school, you're supposed to work! I'm going into 8th grade in a few days, and I'm really going to miss the school when I have to go to high school. The teachers though, they are all amazing. I hope some of my fellow students straiten up and be grateful we go to school in the first place, and stop picking on other people, You make our school look bad. :D Stay awesome CMS!

Posted June 27, 2011

I asked my child what he learned this year. He said "mom all we did was FCAT stuff." I responded, "what do you mean?" He said, "I took the FCAT practice test 15 times, reviewed wrong answered, then took the practice test 15 more times" I have pulled my son from this school. What an awful, manipulative place to send our kids.

Posted June 20, 2011

Callahan Middle is a student centered school. It has an outstanding faculty, staff and administration. The students are challenged not only in academics, but also with excellent sports and band activities. Struggling students are given the extra help that is needed. There are numerous and outstanding extra curricular activities such us band concerts, talent shows and career clubs.

Posted June 13, 2011

Besides standardized testing practice, little to no educational value is stressed by the teachers/principal. As a former teacher at CMS, I was literally told to STOP teaching poetry and the writing process. The Principal asked me to stop my resume project in order to focus on practicing the old FCAT practice tests. As a parent I would seriously consider taking a look at what kind of information my children were truly learning.

Posted April 20, 2010

We ae an 'A' rated school for the 8th year in a row. We have great students, temendous teachers, involved parents, and a wonderful community.

Posted April 4, 2010

Honestly, the students at this school are unmotivated and the teachers are uncaring.The test scores may contradict this,but it's true.My daughter has faced harsh bullying by teachers and students.The staff seemed to laugh it off.All the staff cares about are test scores and nothing more.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

261 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

260 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

268 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

272 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

270 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

252 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 2%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

450121 Old Dixie Highway