West Nassau County High School

Public | 9-12 | 1027 students

Posted October 13, 2013

I enjoyed this school. For all the people who complain you need to be more in control of your education. It is a small time school with little bullying. If you think there are a lot of drugs and profanity go to a duval school. For the person who said it does not prepare you for the real world but the said students use too much profanity and bigger programs like cheerleading and football get all the funding...... Grow up that's pretty much how real life goes. You can't expect other people like counselors to get you in college, fill out your own applications. And for the parent with their kid skipping, get control of your kid. If you couldn't keep track at that at small time west nassau it would have been way worse at a duval county school. I graduated from west nassau with honors and continued to get a full ride academic scholarship to university of Florida. It's called hard work. If you are looking for a handout then yes this school isn't for you. But it has small town values, a place to build great friendships and actual communication and realionships with the teachers. I would never trade any of my memories made at this school.

Posted August 4, 2013

This school is honestly one of the worst of it's kind. I would rate it 0 stars if I could. There was a shocking amount of bullying going on. Most of the students were disrespectful and there is always profanity being used up and down the halls in between classes. Most teachers picked "favorites" and used that to judge your grade. There were only 2-3 good teachers that actually did their job the way it should be done. The Guidance Department is a joke and gives you no help in the college process whatsoever. One counselor will swear by one thing, while the other will tell you something completely different. I missed out on several scholarship opportunities due to being misinformed. Unless you're a cheerleader or a football player, you might as well give up on trying to get funding for any other program. This school mainly emphasizes on getting higher FCAT scores and less on preparing a student for the real world. I am a 2011 graduate of this school, and I couldn't be more happy. It's a shame that when others ask me where I graduated from, I have to say "West Nassau High School". All in all, you're better off going to another school if you value your education. -A Former Student.

Posted August 7, 2012

Needs much improvement ! I had a daughter there for 10th and 11th and she began cutting classes every day. I wasnt even notified until she was so far absent from a couple classes that she had little chance of passing the year at all. Between the drugs, guys grabbing her, and profanity, I almost understood why she would skip classes. Almost nothing was done to keep me informed of her attendance, except me calling and going by the school daily by popping in during school hours and making them call the teacher she was supposed to have at that time to see if she was actually in class before I would discover she wasn't there and was still continuing to miss. Nothing was done about cyber bulling or bullying on the bus which happened to my other daughter almost daily and was reported repeatedly. As for cell phone use, it is NEVER enforced. Don't know why anyone would want to send their child here.

Posted May 16, 2011

This school is great for every kid. They support you when your down, they help you through tough times, the kids are very friendly. It is hard not to love this school. You can get a great education, great friends, great sports programs, amazing musical talent, and great students there.

Posted August 7, 2009

I always hear good things about this school. The kids are really close and they have very good athletes and offer school programs for children to look in to. Their medical program has been outstanding ever since my child has attended the school.

Posted July 14, 2009

I attend West Nassau. It's a good school but sometimes the teachers focus too much n FCAT.

Posted April 30, 2009

Great School! mix of good teachers, great staff, and an excellent student body.

Posted March 5, 2009

I beleive having worked inside the school on a regular basis the adminstration and faculty have a heart for students and are trying to constantly improve the academic atmosphere of West Nassau High School.

Posted February 12, 2009

As a 2004 graduate from West Nassau High School, I would say that my experience as a high schooler was a good one. I had the experience to be involved with several extra-curricual activities such as Volleyball, Cheerleading, and Track. Also, I had the experience in leadership roles such as Student Body VP and Cheerleading co-captain. Teachers such as Mrs. Grant, Mrs. Pittman, and Mrs. Proctor prepared me greatly for college (especially Mrs. Proctor!!). As a freshman at an accredited university, I felt there were a select few classes that I was totally unprepared for. Mostly, I was well prepared. Overall, WN is a great school.

Posted December 10, 2008

I agree with the student who posted on 12/1/08. My daughter is also a Sophmore at WNHS. In between classes you can hear the profanity being yelled up and down the hallways. No one seems to notice or care. The teachers ignore the cellphone usage during class, they just simply aren't concerned with who is texting who or sending pictures to who or finding answers online. Sex, smoking, drugs and alcohol on school property is commonplace. I also wonder why my child rarely seems to have been assigned homework. When I was in high school, we had homework to do in multiple classes each night, although I attended a private school. I believe the education being taught to students at WNHS is sub-par at best. I do not see any attempt to better a childs character or moral beliefs. To take the high ground, choosing right over wrong.

Posted December 1, 2008

I am currently attending WNHS.I am a sophmore and have had enough of the nasty halls,whinny teachers who cannot teach(selective),and the lack of leadership!! I am impatient with the arrival of my senior year!

Posted September 10, 2007

This was an exllent school and my children will attend.. The teachers are friendly and the students are very close.

Posted May 11, 2007

I went to this school and I had fun. My teachers were great and I learned a lot.I have been to the military and now I am going to college to be a biotechnologists. WHNS is a good school.

Posted September 19, 2006

This is our first year with West Nassau, and so far, I am really impressed. I felt like the Guidance Counselor, was very helpful with setting us up in honor classes, as well as setting us up for college credits, and what all is available for scholarships. They spent two days with us desiding. I also like the fact, they enforce the dress code, call parents if your child is not at school, and are strict about being tardy. I love the fact, they have teachers who meet early, and pray over the school and the students. I have been pleased with the academics, over all. I am excited about what this year will bring.

Posted July 24, 2006

Our school has a very friendly atmoophere though there is much room for improvement in the academic departments. The Math Department is very weak and the students have to rely much on their own personal studying to perform mediocre on a college placement test. The Guidance Department are basically there just to make sure everyone has the credits they need to graduate; they do not help with college at all.

Posted August 2, 2005

Limited access to a broad range of classes. Not many choices for honors curriculum. School structure itself needs improvement, bathrooms are run down, and the walls within the building are movable and are metal. Something more permenant would be better.

Posted May 7, 2005

Great school with a very involved and dedicated principal and involved parents.

Posted January 16, 2005

It's a great school and has improved alot. The teachers there have really buckled down.

Posted August 9, 2004

As a recent graduate of West Nassau High School, I know first hand what the school is like. The four years I spent as WNHS were great and every year the school seems to improve in different areas. The teachers, such as Mrs. Proctor, Mr. Mirando, and Mrs. Finley, are excellent and really are involved with their classes. However, the so called 'leadership' of the school needs very much improvement, starting with the guidance counselors. It would have greatly helped me if the guidance counselors actually did their job and helped every student, not just their favorites. During the times when scholarship deadlines were approaching, the counselors were too involved with the FCAT and said that they didn't have the time to talk to me; therefore, I missed out on two scholarships. The guidance department needs major improvements!

Posted August 9, 2004

I am a graduate from West Nassau High; and I believe the school could go through some minor changes. The school prepared me for the real world; only becuase I decided to open my ears and not my mouth for once. The teachers are there to help prepare your kids for the world not babysit them! If you are ever upset on how your kids turn out take a look in the mirror, maybe it's not the school, maybe it is the home! West Nassau High has gotten better over the years. I went there for all four years, and I would not have wanted to go to any other school! The budget could be better, but that is the county and States fault! I hope the upcoming seniors realize what a wonderful school it really is! -Amber H.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

253 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

240 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

238 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

270 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "C".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

224 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

129 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

17 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 8%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

1 Warrior Dr