Sterling Park Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 803 students

Posted September 26, 2013

I have 3 boys: 13, 10, and 2. We have not attended any other school and would not want to. The teachers and staff all care for each student and I understand how some kids can get lost in the shuffle of things when it comes to learning but its also the parents job to continue at home and to be involved. My older boys love this school and they have gone from pre-k on. I have not one negative thought about the school or staff. Thank you Sterling Park Staff for caring!

Posted July 6, 2012

My children have attended Sterling Park for the past 4 years. I cannot say enough about the love I have for this school. The staff is great and there is so much parental involvement. So many teachers have been there for at least 15 years. We LOVE Sterling Park and have not had one regret about not sending them to private school instead.

Posted April 15, 2011

My daughter is in Kindergarten here and we are very happy. Her teacher, Ms. Lampe is wonderful, energetic, creative, involved, yet no-nonsense. I toured many private schools before deciding to send my daughter here. I am very pleased with the classrooms and the energy of the student body and school staff. The children are expressive and excited. The coaches here are also very good; the kids LOVE them! The school offers some extra-curricular clubs even for kindergartners. The music and art classes seem a bit lacking, but that is across the board as budgets are cut for public schools. There is a lot of fundraising which can seem a bit much, but again, you're not paying tuition here. Many of the parents volunteer for events throughout the year, not including PTA. I've only had positive experiences, and we feel at home here.

Posted December 2, 2010

Our child was at Sterling Park for about 2-1/2 years. From the beginning, our child was given no help and the first grade teacher didn't do anything to help our child succeed or to prepare our child for the second grade. Communication was horrible and we were misled as to our child's progress. The principal, Mr. Haynie, is incompetent and extremely unprofessional. He takes phone calls and gets up and walks away with no explanation during meetings and even had the nerve to answer his cell phone during a school production while addressing the audience. He cannot read much better than our second grader or the third graders that were narrating the show. Mr. Haynie stopped several times while speaking and stared at the paper he was reading from like he didn't know what the words were and he even mispronounced some words at a Veterans' Day assembly! Seriously, I'm floored that this person is a principal with his lack of ability and absence of any type of social skills. If you want your child to be academically successful, we would highly recommend you investigate other options.

Posted March 31, 2010

Transferred my student here from Altamonte then had a Kindergartener start here. it was the BEST thing I could have ever done for my kids. The principal, Mr. Haynie is fabulous, as is all the staff. It is a wonderful, safe environment for your children. Very high parental involvement. All teachers that I have met/dealt with are very kind and caring. The children are well behaved and my daughter tells me theres very few bullies here.

Posted October 14, 2009

This is an excellent school. The teachers are caring and the parents are involved. Overall, it is an excellent evnvironment for the children.

Posted September 28, 2009

My son has the best teacher! She loves to take pictures and sends us links via the Kodak Gallery to see what goes on at school for fun events. Very pleased to see a lot of teachers at the Roller Skating nite and their efforts to help out and mingle with parents/kids. The teachers are involved and the care is there.

Posted September 16, 2009

The faculty and staff are dedicated to the students and go the extra mile to meet each child's needs.

Posted April 12, 2008

My son was struggling at Sterling Park, low self-esteem from his 1st grade teacher. The first grade teacher did not care and he felt that and lost interest in learning. By researching alternatives, I found a caring and wonderful private school. I knew I had to get him out of Sterling Park when the principal showed she didn t care either. The private school cost more then most but you can't put a price on a child s development, self-esteem, and education. It s all about what s best for children and their future. If my child was left at Sterling Park, lost in a classroom of 20+ with the 1st grade teacher shredding his self-confidence I would hate to see how he would turn out. Now I can see a bright future for my son and none of my kids will ever attend Sterling Park a gain.

Posted March 26, 2008

My child is in her 5th year at this wonderful school. The teachers and administrators really care about the welfare and education of the students.

Posted December 27, 2007

This is my daughter's 3rd year at Sterling Park and I couldn't be more pleased with the teachers. It is evident that they truly care about her achievement as well as fostering a safe and secure environment for her to be. She has been an honor roll student all 3 years and I attribute that success to solid learning during school hours and consistent reinforcement at home.

Posted June 26, 2007

My daughter attended Sterling Park from Kindergarten through 3rd grade, my son also attended Kindergarten there. This is an amazing school with wonderful teachers who strive to get the best out of each child! Extremely safe, bully-free environment; well manicured campus...///

Posted June 20, 2007

I have 2 students that attend. Last year was the first year and we were thrilled. This past year was very disappointing. We have a child that is interested and a teacher that is not. I had to work extremely hard at night to continue to encourage her curiosity instead of kill it. My other daughters teacher was also a disappointment. I also have had problems with the office staff being rude. Hopefully next yr will be better.

Posted June 6, 2007

My daughter spent k- thru 5th grade made honor roll every year i feel blessed to have chosen this wonderful school for my daughter they definitely prepared her for middle school thanks to all her teachers

Posted January 26, 2007

I am not sure why this school has an a rating? I think they got an a rating because the building is really pretty...I'm very disappointed in the learning environment and lack of activities.

Posted January 11, 2006

I think that Sterling Park is a wonderful school. Parents are extremely involved. The childen are lucky to have a school as wonderful as Sterling Park. Teachers are always there to help. They take their own time before school to tutor if needed or after school as well. I have a child that has been there since the middle of kindergarden and he has never had a bad experience with a teacher. My youngest is in fourth grade and his teachers are the bomb. This year he let me know that this years teacher is the best. I can tell you something great about every teacher both of my children has had. I recommend this school as a definite A+ school.

Posted July 31, 2005

I have been a teacher for 23 years, 6 of them at Sterling Park. Since our new principal began in '03 I have seen wonderful changes in the physical plant-i.e. flowers, grass (much needed landscaping in general), wall paintings, art, overall cleanliness-wow! Much effort has been made to bring consistency to each grade level, and to the school/staff in general. The Art, Music and PE programs are top-notch! Staff who 'couldn't take the heat' caused by change have left, and the new staff members are all very positive additions! Parents at SPE are great-the heart of the school! We truly welcome parent involvement. An active PTA and SAC (School Accreditation) attest to this. In summary, all children who attend Sterling Park will be safe, happy, well-educated, self-discplined children with lots of friends, including the staff at SPE! Quite simply, a wonderful neighborhood school in a great community.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted June 13, 2005

Wonderful school with hardworking teachers!

Posted December 9, 2004

This ia a great elementary school with an outstanding music program. I was thrilled to learn that my child was learning to play the violin and has the opportunity to be in chorus or a steel drum band! The media specialist offers many dynamic learning experiences and is continually working to upgrade library materials.

Posted February 23, 2004

I have two children attending also, I am very pleased with the school and the great job all the teachers do. I feel very confident that my children are getting the highest level of education here at Sterling Park Elementary.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

142 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

142 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

101 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

905 South Eagle Circle