Clearwater, FL

Posted November 09, 2014
Not to discredit all the prior negative reviews but they sound more like personal gripes then anything else. I can only speak from my own experience and my experience has been that my children are happy to attend First Lutheran School and have teachers that genuinely seems happy to teach them.First Lutheran school has instilled a love of learning and a love of Jesus Christ in my children .Although no school is perfect First Lutheran offers a small,safe family environment and I hope my children will be able to continue their education at FLS for years to come.

Posted August 29, 2014
Please tour this school and pay attention to the children's faces. Also take a good look at the teachers as well, no one smiles. I recently switched schools and I have a whole different child. My child was going to be moved up a grade at FLS. After only a week at his new school he is actually behind. The only thing postive thing about FLS are the families. Please DO NOT send your children here, they would be better off in a public school.

Posted August 27, 2014
This school is a joke passed off as a school. Where to begin, the facility is old and dingy, recently cleaned up apparently. The communication is horrible, families never know what is going on. The teachers for the exception of a couple don't appear to even like their job or the children in their class. Most critical is their academics. My child left with above average grades and even jumped a grade in math yet it took a year to catch up at the new school just to be average. Physical education is basically run around a field with high grass and ant. There is zero structure. I'm not sure what the purpose or motive is for this school - it shouldn't even be called a school.

Posted August 18, 2014
Today was my daughters first day of 8th grade, and our 'last' first day at First Lutheran School...Since 1999, We have had 1 or all 3 attending here!!!....It's become our safe haven, and yes my other 2 girls are in college now and have done very well in their education. We believe it's because of the teachings they received at First that helped them excel....It's the teachers, past and present that instill wonderful values as well as teach them English, Science, Math, History, etc.......It's being able to hug someone because they're having a bad or good day. It's being allowed to pray with them, and learn about God without someone telling you, 'you can't'...It's being allowed to say 'I love you' because you do.....It's about feeling safe, and comfortable, and inspired to learn and try new things!....My children, my husband and I have been blessed to have these wonderful men and women in our lives, helping to mold them into who they will be...Thank you, and I look forward to be able to help in making this the best year ever!!

Posted June 30, 2014
First Lutheran had comments removed which only testifies the fact they are hiding something. Can you explain why you had the truth removed? It's funny you left the comments that reference the removed comments. It's only obvious. I understand you want to improve your rating by deceiving the public for greedy purposes. I think the people considering First Lutheran deserve truth There are better choices out there.

Posted May 28, 2014
Great teachers, small class size and nice facilities have allowed my daughter to flourish for the last 6 years. I will be sad when she graduates next year.

Posted April 11, 2013
I worked as a classroom teacher at FLS for over a decade and loved it. The teachers are like family to each other, and I really don't understand the hypocrite comments. These are loving people--key word "people." They make mistakes, but that does not make them hypocrites. As for the military school comment, it is completely laughable. Also, I personally know the children who graduated from FLS (a previous commentor was correct in stating that there is not an honors distinction--there are only salutatorians and valedictorians) and to my knowledge, none of the high graduates have been placed in remedial reading. Yes, some of the graduating students were placed in remedial reading in high school, and that is because we accepted low-performing students as well as high-performing students and did the best we could with each one. Success depends upon parental support as well as school quality, and although 95% of the parents were incredibly supportive, there were some who spent much of their time undermining the teachers and ignoring every attempt at communication. That is a problem anywhere you go. If you want a loving, individualized education for your child, FLS definitely delivers.

First Lutheran School 4

Posted April 05, 2013
I have had my children at FLS for a total of five years. We switched them to another school for financial reasons a few years ago, but returned the following year because they missed it so much. One has graduated and done very well in high school so far. As for the review in which the parent said his/her child was put in remedial Reading after graduating with honors: FLS does not have graduation with honors; they have salutatorian and valedictorian only. Since the graduating classes from the past five years have ranged in number anywhere from 5 graduating students to 15 graduating students, I imagine your child may have been in one of the smaller classes, and even when only five are graduating, they still have to name a first and second place. Your child may have been first or second out of five kids in a particularly sparse year, which may mean he/she probably wasn't actually that high of an achiever. For instance, in a graduating class in which the highest GPA is a 2.5, that kid is the valedictorian! Everything is relative. Also, I have known several kids to be placed in remedial Reading in high school that did not belong there.

Posted March 05, 2013
My daughter transferred from public school and with her ADHD she has shown great potential. The small classrooms and one on one basis with the teachers helps her excel! Great communication between parents and teachers.

Posted February 27, 2013
My child was placed in remedial reading in high school after graduating with honors from First Lutheran.

First Lutheran School