No rating

North Broward Preparatory School

Private | PK-12 | 1400 students

Academic rigor, fine arts and athletics

Student diversity

Living in Coconut Creek

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $152,100. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,440.

Posted May 18, 2014

Pros: beautiful campus Cons: High teacher turnover. Administration for middle and upper school are terrible. Bullying and mean-spirited environment.

Posted May 15, 2014

This school is amazing and full of opportunities! The academics are by far one of the bests in South Florida and the spots teams are spectacular! In conclusion I personally say that this school is amazing and I really recommend it!

Posted April 9, 2014

This is our child's 4th year at North Broward Prep and we could not be happier. My son is a 10th grader now and as previous commentators have pointed out, there has been some turnover but it has served to make the school stronger. My son is thrilled with his teachers, especially in math and science and has become an accomplished musician. He has really blossomed and we are so happy.

Posted April 7, 2014

NBPS is an outstanding school that offers the students the total package of academic excellence as well as a warm and nurturing environment! As a faculty member, I am incredibly confident in the time, effort, and care that my colleagues put into helping students be successful. I look forward to the day when my son can join the NBPS family!
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 7, 2014

NBPS is an amazing school. Even at the Pre-K level, they are challenging my child and helping him reach the best of his ability. All of the teachers, assistants, principals and guidance counselor are very warm and have my child's best interest in mind. I could not have imagined a better academic or character building community for my child. I am super excited that my daughter is joining the NBPS family next year!

Posted April 7, 2014

We like the exceptional exposure and opportunities that our kids are getting even in lower school, at North Broward Preparatory School. We had moved from another private school to NBPS and we see a huge difference in terms of the structure and standard curriculum, an excellent teaching team at each grade level, several after-school clubs and multiple competitive opportunities at the county level and beyond, and also exposure to well known authors, composers and experts in other fields. Our children are very happy in this school. We have easy access to the principals and to management/ teaching teams and our feedback is always heard and addressed.

Posted October 1, 2013

This is our second year at NBPS and could not be happier. Whether it is a "business" or not, as some other reviews mention, is irrelevant to me. I mean, I am paying more than 20k a year -- if "not-for-profit" had been on my list of requirements, I would have put my kid in public school. What I was looking for was a school that challenges my child academically and that teaches kids to think and to be people of character -- and that is what I got. This is a school that teaches kids to be individuals while always striving for excellence. My experience is in the lower school, is that my child is understood for who she is and constantly challenged to expand her knowledge and understanding of the world. If you enjoy being part of a school community that knows your child very well and that is very involved in the academic, intellectual, social and emotional success of your child -- this is the school for you!

Posted September 17, 2013

Simply the best! With public schools cutting programs and other private schools only offering a one-size-fits-all model for learning, North Broward Prep offers a truly unique, international educational experience. Personalized learning, teachers who want to see each of my three children succeed, and a commitment to excellence in academics, fine arts, and athletics. I've been a parent at NB for 8 years; I wouldn't send my children anywhere else.

Posted August 13, 2013

School has some very good teachers, but has a high turnover due to lack of support from leadership. Very good curriculum and extra curricular activities on a beautiful campus. Other schools in the area offer the same with better retention of teachers. We are pulling our kids as well.

Posted July 9, 2013

Our experience in lower school has been phenomenal. My child has absolutely flourished at NBPS. The teachers really care about the students. Lower School Principle and Assistant Principle could not be more hands on and accessible. Every parent I've spoken to has had similar experiences. Quality staff, wonderful curriculum, emphasis on Fine Arts, beautiful campus... You truly get your moneys worth at this school, and believe me I toured all of the schools in this price range.

Posted January 19, 2013

We select the school very well and based on feedback from parents and students who graduated from high school in 2011 Our child is in grade 10. Bad reviews about the school on this site - as a purely business model disappointed me. I can not believe it. We loved the area and training facilities, the order in the classroom, teachers. We talked to the students and only got good reviews! Happy children learning, it's not fake! I want to be able to reveal the talent of the child. We have time, school starts in the summer, and we hope to learn in this school. If you have something to share, to tell the personal experiences of studying in high school, class of 10 to 12, I'll wait. Thank you. Parents

Posted January 17, 2013

We have been at the school for several years. Each year has exceeded our expectation exponentially. If you are looking for individual attention to learning with an approach that the student, their families and the faculty are committed to creating a great place to learn and grow. This environment has offered my three children a place to grow and still maintain their individuality. I strongly recommend NBPS! We are looking forward to many more years to come.

Posted September 15, 2012

I'm a Former student of NBPS. First things first, this a business not a school. However I couldn't have asked for a better high school experience, I played rugby, graduated with over a 3.0 gpa, made amazing friends, and had a great time. Times have changed since I graduated in 2009 though. The school is under new ownership and management and has changed its face completely. I went to community college out of high school and I am now proud to say that I am about to graduate from the University of Florida. As fun and benefical as NBPS was for me, i truly belive its not the same anymore, the owner and president of the school, Mr. Morgaman, is what made that school so great while I was there. It is an expensive school and I would honestly reccomend public school and saving yourself over $100,000. Success isn't determined by the high school you send your child to, it's about your child individually, and about their work ethic and dedication towards achieving their goals. Just as community college didn't define who I am because I am now at the best school in Florida, NBPS will not define your child as a student/individual.

Posted August 28, 2012

I am a mother of three past students who were lucky enough to benefit from academic scholarships. They were high achieving students who were always challenged by the courses offered, leading to top university acceptances. The majority of teachers are outstanding, taking genuine interest in the students and their success. Some still in contact with my children. Social events, athletics and clubs foster inclusion and intermingling givng an excellent high school experience. I cannot comment on principal leardership due to new principal.

Posted August 16, 2012

NBP is aiming to be a great school, but they fall short in many ways. Remember, when you tour the school that the admissions office is really a sales office.You will be told what you want to hear. I am speaking about our high school experience, Class size, which they say will be limited to 10-12 kids is usually more. Individual attention and the willingness to help kids achieve is no better than less expensive private schools. Although they offer a variety of classes, when you meet to arrange your child's classes, a lot of classes either "don't fit" with your required classes, or they're already full. Which leaves your choices very limited, and you'll be paying $23k/year for your child to not get a class that's a good fit. We saw many of the international students leave after the first trimester. I'm not sure if it was cultural or had something to do with the boarding experience. All schools have a drug problem, and NBPS is no exception. Bottom line, NBP is a FOR profit school. It is a BUSINESS, and really, students are treated as a commodity, and more thought goes into gaining more of their product, than keeping what they have.

Posted March 7, 2012

Our son has been at NBPS for 8 years. We are thrilled with the education that he received both in elementary and middle school and are very excited for him to move on to high school next year. The curriculum is academically challenging and the school is committed to differentiating instruction so that students can work to their own potential, not only by offering regular and honors level classes, but within those classes ensuring that students' individual needs are being met. The teachers are very dedicated and it is evident that student success is their priority. The Fine Arts department is second to none--not only because of the extensive offerings and the amazingly talented and dedicated teachers, but because of the strong sense of community and family that it fosters with its students. Finally, my son has also been able to take advantage of opportunities to compete academically with our sister schools within Meritas, and as a result, has made friends in other countries and states. Overall, we couldn't be happier with choosing NBPS and would highly recommend NBPS to anyone!!!

Posted February 17, 2012

This is our 7th year at North Broward and my boys have not only received an excellent academic education, but they have participated in many activities including sports, fine arts, and various clubs. This school has provided us with a wonderful family oriented community which is not easy to find in South Florida! I would highly recommend NBPS to any family looking for more than just the academics!

Posted February 16, 2012

NBPS is the perfect fit for my family. All 3 of my children have been challenged academically, have expanded their horizons through participation in a variety of activities and made friends. What more could a parent ask for?

Posted September 28, 2011

AWESOME SCHOOL! My son is beginning his high school years at this school and we only have great things to say about it! The staff, teachers, administration, principals, and headmaster are wonderful! Many have been here for years! Beautiful campus, outstanding programs, great learning environment! I'm extremely pleased with this school! Everyone is visible which gives you a great sense of pride. Headmaster waves good morning everyday and says, Thank You! Makes me feel welcomed and my dollars are well spent!

Posted August 19, 2011

This will be our 7th year at NBPS. Both of my children started in Kindergarten and now my oldest will be in 6th grade this year. We could not be more pleased with the school. Both kids are challenged to their abilities, which are very different. There is an expectation that each child will put forth his or her best effort in every endeavor, but the atmosphere is not such that kids are put under extreme pressure. The Fine Arts programs are outstanding and the athletic programs are making great strides, becoming more competitive every season. We looked at all of the private schools in the area before selecting NBPS. We chose it because we felt it would provide a wonderful home for us as our children moved through elementary, middle & high school. The strength of the college advising department also gave us confidence that our children will be successful in getting into their first choice of college when the time comes!

College readiness and student pathways

Colleges most students attend after graduation Harvard
Yale
Princeton
Read more about resources at this school
Source: Manually entered by a school official.

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Art teacher(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Security personnel
School social worker/counselors(s)
Special education coordinator
Speech and language therapist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Foreign languages spoken by school staff Chinese (Mandarin)
French
German
Italian
Spanish
Portuguese
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Special education / special needs

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities
Extra learning resources offered
  • Differentiated learning programs
  • Special education coordinator
  • Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Mathematics

• Performing arts
  • Visual arts
  • Art teacher(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Art room

• SADD

Gifted & talented

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Advanced placement courses
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
College preparation / awareness resources offered
  • College prep programs/courses during the year
  • College presentations or information sessions
  • SAT/ACT prep classes
  • Debate
  • National Honor Society

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school
  • After school
  • Jackie Fagan, Admissions Director
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Phone
Age at which early childhood or Pre-K program begins
  • 3 years old
  • Coed
Boarding options
  • Some boarding, some day
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• College prep
  • Hybrid
  • Independent Study
  • Individually guided instruction
  • International Baccalaureate (IB)
  • STEM

• Performing arts
  • Science
  • Technology
  • Visual arts
Bi-lingual or language immersion programs offered

Level of special education programming offered
Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities
Foreign languages taught
Level of ESL/ELL programming offered
Vocational or skills-based training offered
  • None

• Librarian/media specialist(s)
  • Music teacher(s)
  • Nurse(s)
  • PE instructor(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel

• Computer animation
  • Technical design and production
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)
  • Art club

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
Bullying policy
  • This school has a bullying and/or cyber bullying policy in place.
  • Attend parent nights
  • Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize cultural events
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Present special topics during curricular units
  • Serve on school improvement team or governance council
  • Volunteer in the classroom