1,820 students|Broward

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Agree (3 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (4 responses)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)

My son is chronically ill and misses school more than he should. I called his Guidance Counselor, for extra help for him and she told me there wasn't any. I called this Counselor starting in the beginning of 2016, to see if she could help me contact his teachers Bc we don't have a computer for their parent portal, and she said no problem, she could email them for me rt away and let them know to contact me be phone or an outside email. SHE NEVER DID! Not only does he have ADHD AND HAS THE POOREST IEP PROGRAM THERE, but the teachers put my son down for being sick so much. He needed throat surgery to fix his illnesses but the poor kid fractured his wrist , 3 days before. So we had to postpone the surgery. Because the Guidance Counselor never contacted his teachers in November like she told me she would, and I called her more than 6 times, his grades are now suffering and the teachers are again blaming him. You don't berate a child. You teach to uplift a child. It took the school over a week, to get someone to help my son write Bc he fractured his rt wrist and couldn't write. The teachers had the audacity to say to him, "Why are you here if you're just going to sit here and do nothing?" He's so down on himself now. The Guidance Counselor is useless, I've called her so many times and she just says yes and doesn't take action, or she tries to turn the situation around on my child. He came home crying for days after he broke his wrist and told me he needed to talk to somebody Bc he's extremely stressed and down on himself. YET THE ONE PERSON TO DO THIS JOB, is incapable of making a simple email, let alone comfort a student. I know there's laws about children having excessive Abscence's, but what about the children that need immediate surgery , to stop their chronic illnesses? I've called the Superintendent, the Principle, the VP, all just to get someone to help him write w a broken wrist. That's so unessessary! Now it's the last quarter, they keep threatening that he's going to get left back and this all could have been avoided if the Guidance Counselor did what we discussed so many times over the phone in the beginning of November. It's a terrible school, with over 1,600 children, not enough security, fights every day, and only a handful of teachers that aren't lazy enough to teach.

I am very happy with the school's new Principal and have a lot of respect for the teachers and staff. They all do the best they can, although it is hard to please everyone. This is my son's last year there and I have been able to communicate by email with his teachers from the beginning. Some even had replied on the same day, at night. My daughter is enrolled there for the upcoming school year.

Both of my sons have gone to Lyons Creek, both have had great experiences! For a total of 6 years, we have been pleased with the level of rigorous academics they had access to, absolutely LOVED the music dept (Mr. Hammond is a wonderful instructor) and have had no complaints overall. Except the car loop for morning drop-off in the rain. Ugh! But its South Fl, so what can you expect? My older son will be entering his senior year at Monarch in the fall, and his SAT scores, GPA and class ranking have him set for his choice of colleges. All thanks to the great Creek schools - Winston Park Elem, Lyons Creek Middle . and Monarch High.

My sister and cousin. Go here and all I hear from them is the bullies they target these kids and the administration does not solve or give a solution to this on going matter. My mom has tried to apply her at another school because of this problem but since we are not in the area code we were denied and had to continue sending her here and it's very heart breaking having to fear for the kids safety since they spend most of their time and day here. It should be a place were we can relax and know they will provide security for our minds! I have no idea why it hasn't been on the news yet or reported.unfortunately my sister is going to be home schooled because of this. I hope they take care of this issue for other kids safety and health.

This school bullied my son and plus there non bullying program his horrible. This school should be cleaned up

My son goes to Lyons Creek (since 6th grade), he is entering 8th now and he's in the gifted program. I love this school. It's clean, newer, has a diverse student body and staff. My son is a talker in class and gets disciplined promptly. They use a discipline matrix so each offense gets higher discipline. I think this is great for kids bc they know what to expect. They have counselors and administrators for each grade level (Pride 6,7,8). There is a site to check grades and absences. You get an auto call if your child is absent. Teachers call or email if there are any problems and they reply to emails promptly. He has homework most nights but not usually on weekends unless its a project. The work is held to a high standard. I feel that he has learned so much and I appreciate the hard work his teachers have put in. There are police officers everyday at school also and they take their job seriously. Of course there is typical swearing, making out in hallways and sometimes fights but I think it is at a normal middle school level. Those who fight do get into trouble right away. Only complaint is, I think they should let all kids run track if they choose to, instead they cut most of the kids who tried out and these were fit kids who tried really hard. Makes no sense to me but I heard Florida schools are very competitive in sports. Overall super happy with this school.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

I can't speak for all teachers a lcms, but for the teachers my daughter had they didn't listen and often ignored issues regarding bullying. It was a nightmare for our daughter. When we addressed the andadministration (principle and guidance counselors) all we got was a lot of false promises. When the bullying didn't stop the school uses a "peer councelor" that the bullied and girls doing the bullying all met with at the same time. My Daughter was horrified. The "peer counselor" was an 8th grader and friends with the girls tormenting our daughter. This made the situation worse. Our daughter that once loved school would get physically sick always worried what these girls would do next. Because of LCMS's weak bullying policy she lost interest in school. Getting her into another school helped our daughter. Unfortunately the mental scars of the bullying still effect her some three years after. We were not the only parents that had issues with the administration ignoring bullying. One boy was constantly being hit. The school has a policy that if any student is involved in an altercation, even if the bullied doesn't fight back, rolls up in a ball and gets pummeled he will also get detention. The administration seems to be afraid to do what's right. Bad school!

We chose this school for its ESE Program for my son who has CAPD, PDD. LCMS was rated to be a great program, and actually it was the worst we have ever experienced. The classes are overcrowded, and IEP accomadations were not met. We moved here from Manatee County, where my child attended McNeal Elementary in Lakewood Ranch. Their ESE program is top notch and I give McNeal Elementary an A+ Rating. We will be pulling our child from broward district for his next school year. Beware, I don't recommend Lyons Creek if you have an ESE child. I feel like we lost a whole year to nothingness.

LCMS was an excellent school, and it can be again. It takes great parents, great teachers, and students who want to learn and come from families who teach respect and manners. Reading past comments, I saw truths in all of them, however many of them were written in gross generalizations. Not every teacher is bad. Not all administrators are bad. Not all students are bullies. In writing a review, angry parents or students need to tailor their comments, observations and feedback to their own experiences and not use a broad brush strokes to paint the whole school as terrible. Yes, this school has gone downhill in the past 3 years, but with the new expected principal, it will snap right back to being excellent again. It does take a village. I'm excited for it's future.

Lyons creek middle school is a terrible school to go to. Staff do not know how to discipline children and fights happen daily. Staff just scream at students to discipline them which is innefective against them because of their nature. Children curse almost in every sentence and I feel insecure at this school. As an advanced student teachers do not help me learn and instead review everything. The cameras at this school do not work and this school does not teach Latin and Japanese. Most children are thieves and cause problems to others. Do not enroll a child in this school unless you want an insecure and dangerous learning environment.

Last modified Lyons Creek Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.