Coconut Creek, FL
Students enrolled: 1,799

Lyons Creek Middle School 5

Posted July 30, 2015
My son goes to Lyons Creek (since 6th grade), he is entering 8th now and he's in the gifted program. I love this school. It's clean, newer, has a diverse student body and staff. My son is a talker in class and gets disciplined promptly. They use a discipline matrix so each offense gets higher discipline. I think this is great for kids bc they know what to expect. They have counselors and administrators for each grade level (Pride 6,7,8). There is a site to check grades and absences. You get an auto call if your child is absent. Teachers call or email if there are any problems and they reply to emails promptly. He has homework most nights but not usually on weekends unless its a project. The work is held to a high standard. I feel that he has learned so much and I appreciate the hard work his teachers have put in. There are police officers everyday at school also and they take their job seriously. Of course there is typical swearing, making out in hallways and sometimes fights but I think it is at a normal middle school level. Those who fight do get into trouble right away. Only complaint is, I think they should let all kids run track if they choose to, instead they cut most of the kids who tried out and these were fit kids who tried really hard. Makes no sense to me but I heard Florida schools are very competitive in sports. Overall super happy with this school.

Lyons Creek Middle School
Teacher effectiveness: Ineffective

Posted July 18, 2015
I can't speak for all teachers a lcms, but for the teachers my daughter had they didn't listen and often ignored issues regarding bullying. It was a nightmare for our daughter. When we addressed the andadministration (principle and guidance counselors) all we got was a lot of false promises. When the bullying didn't stop the school uses a "peer councelor" that the bullied and girls doing the bullying all met with at the same time. My Daughter was horrified. The "peer counselor" was an 8th grader and friends with the girls tormenting our daughter. This made the situation worse. Our daughter that once loved school would get physically sick always worried what these girls would do next. Because of LCMS's weak bullying policy she lost interest in school. Getting her into another school helped our daughter. Unfortunately the mental scars of the bullying still effect her some three years after. We were not the only parents that had issues with the administration ignoring bullying. One boy was constantly being hit. The school has a policy that if any student is involved in an altercation, even if the bullied doesn't fight back, rolls up in a ball and gets pummeled he will also get detention. The administration seems to be afraid to do what's right. Bad school!

Posted May 18, 2015
We chose this school for its ESE Program for my son who has CAPD, PDD. LCMS was rated to be a great program, and actually it was the worst we have ever experienced. The classes are overcrowded, and IEP accomadations were not met. We moved here from Manatee County, where my child attended McNeal Elementary in Lakewood Ranch. Their ESE program is top notch and I give McNeal Elementary an A+ Rating. We will be pulling our child from broward district for his next school year. Beware, I don't recommend Lyons Creek if you have an ESE child. I feel like we lost a whole year to nothingness.

Lyons Creek Middle School 4

Posted October 11, 2014
LCMS was an excellent school, and it can be again. It takes great parents, great teachers, and students who want to learn and come from families who teach respect and manners. Reading past comments, I saw truths in all of them, however many of them were written in gross generalizations. Not every teacher is bad. Not all administrators are bad. Not all students are bullies. In writing a review, angry parents or students need to tailor their comments, observations and feedback to their own experiences and not use a broad brush strokes to paint the whole school as terrible. Yes, this school has gone downhill in the past 3 years, but with the new expected principal, it will snap right back to being excellent again. It does take a village. I'm excited for it's future.

Posted March 01, 2014
Lyons creek middle school is a terrible school to go to. Staff do not know how to discipline children and fights happen daily. Staff just scream at students to discipline them which is innefective against them because of their nature. Children curse almost in every sentence and I feel insecure at this school. As an advanced student teachers do not help me learn and instead review everything. The cameras at this school do not work and this school does not teach Latin and Japanese. Most children are thieves and cause problems to others. Do not enroll a child in this school unless you want an insecure and dangerous learning environment.

Posted November 01, 2013
LCMS is the worst school ever. Kids are so mean and raciest its not even funny. I understand you are going to get drama here or there through middle school-high school but this is ridiculous I latterly come home crying at least 2+ more times a week. there's bully's, rude teachers etc. tip in life: DO NOT TAKE YOUR CHILD TO LCMS

Lyons Creek Middle School 3

Posted August 13, 2013
LCMS is straight I mean I'm doing fine I'm taking algebra an hopefully going to a magnet school if my grades keep up but some kids are treated unfair some teachers are down right rude

Lyons Creek Middle School 3

Posted April 07, 2013
I Attend this school . & its a wonderful school , but i feel like I'm treated different because I'm an African American. 60% of my classmates/ schoolmates are nice, 40% Are racist . But overall Its a (Good) school.

Lyons Creek Middle School 2

Posted January 10, 2013
I completely agree with the previous comment about this school being just terrible. I honestly felt as if I had written that review. The "anti Bullying Policy" truely is a joke at this school. I understand no matter what middle school you're in there will be bullies but this school does nothing to make your child feel safe. My child was continusaly picked on last year by the same kid he was clever though didn't do it around teachers or anyone else was paying attention. Mine and my childs complaints, and bullying report to the school staff went close to ignored they actually sent me a letter in the mail saying they couldn't find sufficient enough evidence to confirm our bullying complaints and closed the investigation. Eventually that trouble maker went on to bother someone else unfortunatley for that poor unsuspecting child. Then another bully started in on my child and finally my kid had had enough this bully was following my child around and pulling on his clothes and book bag and my son turned around and hit back... My child got suspended over it! For finally sticking up for himself? This school needs some reconstructing starting with the school administration.

Posted December 06, 2012
This school is just terrible. It is crowded to the point of breaking. I can't speak of all the teachers that "teach" there, but as for the ones my child and his classmates have had, they don't care. One gets the feeling they don't want to be there. The administration is just as lacking as the teachers are- if not more. Your concerns and issues fall on deaf ears. Their anti-bullying policy that is a joke. The children that are bullied have no real recourse and seemed to incur types of bullying from the security guards and administrators themselves. Parents of the bullied child are made to feel as they are just complaining and that they are also at fault. LCMS will not let parents of the bullied child view the tapes that the school administration use for coming to a verdict or conclusion regarding fault. They also don't want to hear any issues that may reflect poorly upon them and show signs of retaliation toward the child when then are criticized. LCMS is a bad school. I feel awful knowing my child and good kids like her are subject to such a negative experience within their formative years.

Lyons Creek Middle School
4333 Sol Press Boulevard, Coconut Creek, FL  33073
Last modified Lyons Creek Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Lyons Creek Middle School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 62 reviews. Top