Coral Gables, FL

Henry S. West Laboratory School 5

Posted May 14, 2015
I have 2 kids at west lab and they love it. The teachers are great, the school is small and welcoming to parents. The after school programs are fantastic. They have sports, code, lego, chess, drama, dance etc. I feel very lucky to be able to send my kids here.

Henry S. West Laboratory School 5

Posted April 07, 2015
My happy child has been there for 2 years now, great fit. The teachers challenge the kids and expose them to the world. I read these comments and sit here is dismay wondering who and what is being spoken of here. The education being taught here is second to none. If you do your work, and rise to the challenge of putting in the time with the homework, it all works out. The After School Classes like Basketball, Soccer, Violin, Tennis, Programing code, Dance, are great for the kids to be exposed to. Life is a competitive environment, here at West Lab, you learn to perform! Don't base your research on these online opinions, interview a parent who's child is always on the Honor Role. (Many to choose from.) Good Luck

Posted March 31, 2015
I would give it a 0 rating if I could. One of the worse experiences of my child's life and mine. My child was bullied and targeted by a teacher and when I complained all hell broke loose. The harassment worsened and and now it included me as well. The principal? Absolutely useless. Run for the hills!

Posted October 29, 2014
Far away from being an "A" school. There is more to be an "A" school than only having students writing "A" grades. Of course, there are a few good teachers working at West Lab Elementary but even these teachers overwhelm their students with huge quantities of homework every day not realizing that some students are bored all year long. "Students who can't follow are left behind without support or additional help." Students who follow with ease don't get progress related worksheets. The absolutely worst experience I've ever made was the encounter with the school management and office administration, a group of disorganized and unfriendly people not able to deal with criticism constructively. Instead of a friendly welcome they make you feel like an intruder entering "their" territory. They prefer chewing gums, eating and talking to each other and don't mind you standing and waiting at the office desk. Is this an appropriate behavior you may expect from an "A" school? At the end of this unbelievable but true experience I feel sorry for those children who can't move to another school. We took our child out of West Lab Elementary and are looking forward to a great new school year.

Posted October 28, 2014
Principal runs this school worse than a third world country factory. Not only is she the rudest person I've personally ever met, she cannot manage to save her life. The only reason why I have my child still attending this school is because it is in a very convenient location. I wish someone from the district would pop-up and make a surprise visit so they can see how horrible this once great school is being ran. It makes me sad because this school used to be such a "wow your child goes to West Lab" kind of school. Now I believe I'm not the only parent counting the days down until we can get out of there and never have to deal with such utter rudeness, bulling and lack of structure from the principal and her gang. If I could give half a star I would.

Henry S. West Laboratory School 2

Posted October 21, 2014
West Lab had a lot of potential but sadly it has become child unfriendly. It really is run by bullies that make families feel very unwelcome. Many of the teachers have lost their enthusiasm. Kindergarten is by far the grade to avoid with an oversized combo class taught by 2 teachers who use negative reinforcement daily with a chart displaying each student's name. The kids have no place to go but down and this chart is very prominently displayed in the classroom causing 5 year-olds to feel horrible about themselves in front of their peers. If you are looking for a nurturing environment that boost student's confidence, this is not that type of school.

Posted September 30, 2014
We waited two years to get into this school. First through the lottery process and then waiting in line overnight, we put so much effort. When we finally got the call, we never expected the school to mistreat us the way it did. A few weeks before school started, they wanted to test my son, claiming it was because he came from a private school (testing for admission is not a prerequisite). He did not pass the test, so over the phone she told us that I was "inhumane" for sending my son to first grade, when it was clear that he had to be retained. She has never met my son or bothered to speak with us. We felt discriminated and without a plan B only two weeks before the first day of school. Things happen for a reason, I am happy my son is far away from that "human" principal.

Posted September 09, 2014
This is in response to the comment that was posted last night, and probably removed by someone's complaint. I totally agree that the school is run by few bullies (the principle and few mom's).

Posted June 03, 2014
Very stressful experience. Focus of education is on how high the kids may score in the SAT and FCAT tests. Recess 3 times a week only and it may be skipped. If your child does not meet their expectations short term, the pressure is on you and your child is left behind. I was lucky enough to be able to find another public school where my child is happy and thriving.

Posted April 09, 2014
Principal and some teacher are animals. I had to move my lovely daughter to another school.

Henry S. West Laboratory School
5300 Carillo Street, Coral Gables, FL  33146
Last modified Henry S. West Laboratory School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Henry S. West Laboratory School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 47 reviews. Top