Coral Gables, FL
Students enrolled: 1,106
Before care: Yes

Ponce De Leon Middle School 4

Posted September 14, 2014
Ponce is a great school by any measure. The Principal, Ms. Chang, is an amazing leader and has beautified the grounds and atmosphere enormously. There are not a lot of involved parents but the ones who do show up to help out are great. The IB Program has a lot of solid teachers and the staff at Ponce is second to none. Don't hesitate to send you child to school here- it is a really great school.

Posted October 24, 2013
Whenever you walk into the school, the staff has a smile on the face. They are very helpful and care for their students. The director is incredible and met the challenge of transforming a school catering a very diverse student population, teaching kids from any disadvantaged neighborhood together with gifted children in an IB middle school program. Yes, there is way to improve on the organization, but the most important is that the heart of the staff is on the right place. Students get a hug when they need it but they are also taught discipline and self confidence. Students that get kicked out of neighboring schools, such as Carver, tend to regain confidence and growth at Ponce de Leon. This is not because Ponce de Leon is an easier school, it is just because the school philosophy is warm and welcoming, valuing each student at a fundamental level. This is what encourages students to give their best and regain confidence in themselves. I appreciate the individual approach to counseling, which high school is best for your child.

Posted September 26, 2013
I remember sitting at the classroom and learning through multiple lectures. Meeting teachers and students alike in which are peculiar and yet cunning. I remember meeting friends and friends of friends that have multiple characteristics. Some per say can be a bit annoying. Others are what you can say a wisecrack. Some are shy and others are outspoken. I remember the memories we shared. Through thick and thin, we stand our ground. I remembered the trouble makers and the happy go lucky people. (ei. Fieldtripper, point dexter, skipper, vultures, chicken foot gang, g the loudest, Einstein, et cetera) All I can say is that there are times when you are paired up with people whom can be a great asset and others not so much. There are times when you are pit into real life situations and such which can prepare you for the future. To the kiddos going to the school, let me give you and advice. Whenever you get the chance to do something, do it. Do not procrastinate! Do not belittle things. Always do your best so in the end you would never regret your actions. Balance your academics, extracurricular, and community services. Whatever you do, face your consequences head on and never complain.

Posted September 11, 2013
Ponce is a great School for all types of students. I am an 8th grader and this is my third and last year at Ponce. I have enjoyed every year I have spent here, I have learned and grown so much.

Posted September 10, 2013
My son started school this year and absolutely loves it. He loves getting up and ready for school now. He cant wait for the chess club to start so he can learn how to master the game. I found the principal to be very knowledgeable and friendly during the craziness of orientation. The school grounds are lovely and well kept. I love the fact that they have maintained the authenticity of the historic buildings but yet are able to provide a great environment for a school.

Posted September 10, 2013
im very happy with the progress that ,my duagjhter has acquired here at ponce. I pleased with her teachers and class schedule. I will defeneletly will be returning next year.

Ponce De Leon Middle School 4

Posted September 10, 2013
My daughter is a 7th grade gifted student in the IB program.She's had a great experience so far at Ponce. Last year i was worried about her entering a big school campus after a fairly cozy elementary program, but her teachers did a great job reaching out to her and made themselves available via email from the beginning of the year, and were great at responding, whenever there were concerns or questions. The lead teacher in the IB program is FABULOUS!!!!!! She is like a mom to the kids: nurturing them, but also giving them the kind of advice they need to navigate middle school. She really knows the kids. Academically, teachers have challenged her with interesting, cross-disciplinary projects, which is what the IB program is all about. Her science teacher last year was amazing and committed - she led a group of kids on a fabulous camping trip to learn about the Everglades! Her Language Arts teacher was a fiercely dedicated burst of energy and creativity. The French program won first place in the county for middle school for I think the 2nd or 3rd year! Math was a great experience too, and she was well prepared to enter the Algebra (for those who qualify). Ask to meet a current parent

Posted May 03, 2013
My son is a student at the IB program of Ponce de Leon Middle. The administrators and teachers of the program are phenomenal. The curriculum is challenging and very globally-oriented. My son is studying hard and very motivated, and I have the school to thank.

Posted October 11, 2011
This is our 3rd year at Ponce and we continue to be impressed by not only the curriculum of the IB Program but the quality of the Ponce teachers and administrators. They are a team of motivated and dedicated academics striving to ensure our kids succeed. Our son is very proud of his school, as are we. We highly recommend Ponce to any family looking for an excellent education, administered by a highly professional team.

Posted October 10, 2011
Great school. I would not want to work anywhere else. It is a true representation of the excellence that can be produced when everyone works together.

Ponce De Leon Middle School
5801 Augusto Street, Coral Gables, FL  33146
Last modified Ponce De Leon Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Ponce De Leon Middle School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 62 reviews. Top