Maplewood Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 698 students

Posted April 11, 2008

I agree with the lack of music and art at Maplewood. I have 2 college students and 1 current student attend Maplewood and have never attended 1 play. I know other kids that have 2 per year. It is no wonder that kids are stressed out. It is a full time job to be prepared for the FCAT.

Posted February 27, 2008

I found the school, overall: lacking in personality, cohesiveness and organization. I believe the Principal sets the tone for each school. She is the person who will greet interested parents with warmth and offer support. Parents should be encouraged to get involved in all aspects of the school, without interrupting the daily running of it. Pricipal, parents and faculty should be on the same page as to what would be most helpful for our children. I don't see it here. There are no policies in how or when a teacher should communicate with a parent. I've never been in a school where teachers are so uncooperative in communicating with parents. Children who do best in schools are the ones with involved parents. Maplewood is good now but with open communicaction, it would be a great school. So I'm asking, could we work on it. Please?

Posted May 3, 2007

I don't know what happened, but the FCAT reading results for Maplewood were horrific.

Posted May 16, 2006

My son loves his 3rd grade teacher so much, he's sad to leave for summer break.

Posted May 8, 2006

Administration is too disconnected with the classroom, especially when they utilize a long term subtitute in the class. They don't read info from doctors & other therapists when you provide that info about your child. They stick the info in the file & do nothing with it. After begging for 2 years for the school to learn about my son's disabilities & what his needs are, I give up. My son's teacher said the only thing my son has learned is what I taught him at home. I will take the McKay Scholarship & put him in a special needs school...& my son is only mildly disabled. Go to your child's class. Advocate for your child. Contact the North Area district office if your child still isn't getting what he/she needs. Ms Sanford, ESE Teacher is the one positive thing I can say for the school...she is wonderful!

Posted January 22, 2006

I agree Maplewood is a very nice school. Some of the techers are great. This year my 5th grader is ready to leave the school. She has had a great time there and also had great teachers too!( a honorol) On the second hand my second [student] is really struggleing. Who ever thought my child would be taught site words in stead of phonics? well my daughter was and now we are playing catchup. A because she is struggling in reading we are doomed with this teacher for the rest of the year.

Posted January 5, 2006

Maplewood has a lot of discipline and a lot of behavior rules, consequences, etc. There acedemics are geared for fcat success. The children have a lot of work to do. There is poor access to art, music, etc. Parents who want to be involved are encouraged to do so.

Posted September 3, 2005

Maplewood Elementary was an adequate school for my children when they attended five years ago. I would have liked to see more teachers take a genuine interest in making learning an enjoyable experience.

Posted July 19, 2005

My child is in the ESE program at Maplewood. So far I have no complaints. The teachers truly care about the children abd their progress.The academic programs are wonderful as well, my child loves the music teacher and the gym teacherr is fantastic. They have the Olympics every year, but they usually have it so late in the year that, the kids pictures don't make it to the yearbook and that is the only time our ESE children really get to shine. The parents in the school are truly dedicated although most ESE parents tend to not get involved because of work scheduling or otherwise. They seem to need their own PTO.My only real complaint is the school does not go on field trips with the ESE I think this is doing a great disservice to our children!

Posted June 9, 2005

Mostly very good teachers, but some bad ones too whom everyone wonders why they are still teaching. Administration is accessable, but not overly proactive or creative. A few good teachers/staff are wearing too many hats to do their main job well. New modular units have allowed specials classes such as art and music to return to dedicated classrooms rather than coming into classrooms to teach. Some past air quality/mold problems that seem to be addressed due largely to parent complaints. Parent involvement is fair, with a handful of the same volunteers doing the majority of the work. School demographics are changing and Latin Americans need to be brought into the fold better. Very good safety procedures but discipline plans for behavior issues could be more effective.

Posted June 6, 2005

My child is at Maplewood and is very happy. We had a wonderful 1st and 2nd grade experience. Like any school, the right teacher can make all the difference. The problem is some teachers have been at the school too long and are stagnate in their teaching methods. It is a small school compared to other C.S. schools and needs some physical updating. We seem to cater to children with special needs. There are many clusters of ESE children.

Posted May 27, 2005

My son is in Maplewood elementary and not acheiving his goals because they do not want to give him the FAPE he is entitled being a child with disabilities. And he is unable to access his program. The speech therapist is not very articulate and the ESE or LEA is very condescending to parents that are new to the school. If you are a parent of a child with disabilities I would suggest to look elsewhere. I would have to say though for parents of typical children there is a PTO and lots of activities for the typical children. This would be an excellent school if they gave all children the same education with accessibility.

Posted April 15, 2005

I've had two children at Maplewood. The principal and administration is friendly, and the school is well-run for the most part. The aftercare program greatly improved this year (2005), and ensures kids do their homework, where they did not previously. Like any place, a lot depends on the individual teacher, and some are better than others. I like the gifted program because it provides extra challenge and accellerated education in line with my sons's needs. The school is secure and I feel safe sending my child there, which is a high priority for me. I wish there was more interaction with parents from school in terms of my child's individual progress, but overall it is good.

Posted February 5, 2005

Maplewood Elementary has the most dedicated and highlty qualified teachers to guide my children through the most important years of starting life. Encouragement and the need to make every individual student feel specail and and smart comes natual to all of the teachers and principle. I am so grateful I am apart of the 'Maplewwod Family' I know my daughter will have the motivation and self esteem to acheive at such a great level, thanks to her teacher and all staff of the school.

Posted February 3, 2005

The admisistration is strong, and the 2 teachers my child has had thus far, themselves have been good. The 'specials' (art, music, science etc..) are basic, bland, unchallenging and extremely dissapointing. Little to no effort is put in above and beyond the county requirements. From what we have experienced I am not surprised they went from an A rating down to a B.

Posted December 3, 2004

This elementary school is top notch! Teachers highly regard and understand the need to educate our children and most importantly are qualified to do so. Administrative staff takes an involved, participatory role in the daily activities and studies of our children and with an aggressive approach to making sure all of the children learn more then the basics, they make this school number one in my book! My only regret is that my son will soon have to leave to move onto middle school and we will never find as involved of a school again.

Posted August 6, 2004

this school is one of those don't judge a book by it's cover.i was EXTREMLY disappointed. in my experience was very cold with parents as well as students. I often wondered why the school was given an A at all. The experience my children and myself went through was enough to alert family and friends that our tax dollars are going to waste! Lack of communication with parents, misunderstanding and mistreatment of handicapped children were a few others. And I wonder how much more the school hides that a parent has to go through so much red tape to be allowed to a classroom. The school unfortunately was an experience I'd love to forget! I'd just well had sent my child to a boot camp and they probably would have been more caring.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

114 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

114 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

98 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

98 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

96 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

124 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

9850 Ramblewood Drive