Broward Community Charter School

Charter | K-5 | 113 students

Sweep tile

Posted February 21, 2014

BCCS West campus is lead by Ms. Pommels, a principal with an open door policy, well prepared to run this school, and very respectful of parents requests. My child was in regular public school and I had her transferred to BCCS West Campus in October last year due to my frustration with lack of quality in education, negligence with my child's health, and much more. In three months my child (in Kindergarten) is adding and subtracting, reading books from cover to cover (K level, of course), understands who an author, illustrator, the characters, and the scenery of a story. The music and art programs are fabulous! Curriculum in science and social studies are also exceptional with hand-on learning. The new administration has helped this school move from average to excellent. keep it up!

Posted December 28, 2013

School is wonderful, my child loves it. Would definitely recommend to any others. No complaints.

Posted September 5, 2013

This school will never improve. It has a poor managerial company and they only care about making money off the students and parents. It is a horrible place to send your child, I suggest moving your child to a regular public school, at least they won't go without a lunch there.

Posted September 4, 2013

My child started grade K here just 3 days ago. I transferred him from a different school hoping that he would get a better education here. I am pleased with certain aspects of the school; it seems to be very informative and they encourage parent participation. What I do not like is the blatant lack of communication between members of staff and between staff and parents. In his first week, due to errors and poor communication on the school's part he has been denied lunch and left without a meal or drink for the day. They failed to communicate this with my husband and I. Today my child was yelled at for spelling his name incorrectly (he was actually spelling it correctly; the teacher was spelling it according to how she pronounces it due to her accent). I'm not sure where the breakdown in communication is but this school demands a lot from the parents which is fine; but I feel that they also need to commit to their side of the agreement. Obviously it is early days and I am hoping that once the headteacher responds to my request to meet; these issues can be resolved and the school will live up to its expectations of a charter school.

Posted August 4, 2013

I have to disagree with the last post. The current School Leader has a Masters Level and certified Principal and currently working on her Doctoral Degree. All Charter School teachers have to be certified and ESOL endorsed which at this school they are.PLEASE check before you post.

Posted February 25, 2012

I am not sure that the previous post was for the right school. This is Broward Community Charter School West. My son attends this school and is in Kindergarten. Since attending this school he has grown in leaps and bounds in his academics. He is reading, and doing math. His teacher, the same one for the whole year, is very responsive and attentative, and has worked with my son. As another person stated no school is perfect as no person in perfect. We are going to be moving and will travel just to have our child still attend this school.

Posted August 16, 2010

I was a little scared of placing my daughter to this school, probably the reviews are not the best but I know that this world is full of different expectations and different personalities. At the end after a lot of thought my daughter is enrolled 2010-2011 year and I"m very comfortable about it. Very organized and Mr Drag is a very good principal, Everytime I contact him, he always answers back and always willing to help us as parents. Looking forward for next year and I know that I'm going to put all my effort for this year to be the best, We shouldn't been in the position of judging in the other hand help this school to be better. We should take advantage of parent involvement program and be involved in our kids' lives.

Posted May 25, 2010

This school is a joke. Doesn't seem to be any overarching plan for student achievement. Even the teachers of the same grade don't know what the others are doing or why. There's no follow through, no high expectations of the kids. My daughter cries because she's bored and there's no discipline or structure. I feel like the whole year was wasted. Stay away from this place. If the principal spent as much time developing a sound academic program as he spends directing traffic in the parking lot, it might be a good start. We're going back to private school next year. Hopefully my daughter won't be behind and we can forget this whole year ever happened.

Posted January 20, 2010

Have we as parents ever wonder that schools are not a babysitting environment? Yes some of us parents feel that way because we drop our children there in the mornings and pick them up in the evenings. Its a learning institution and we need play a more important role in our childrens lives. My daughter has been in this school for the past almost two years, and yes i had concerns regarding organization, but overall it is a great school especially the kindergarten building. The teachers are great. There is no school that is going to be perfect. But if we want good results from our children we have to play a role in their school life as well. Teachers cannot do it all. Help with their homework etc. Overall the school is a good school.

Posted June 12, 2009

Unfortunately when the leadership in a school allows discipline and instruction to fall to the lowest common denominator, the result is a disruptive, undisciplined bunch of crazies. My advice: apply discipine and remove the worst offenders; pretty soon, the parents will shore up their children and the children will finally feel safe to learn instead of having to keep up the charade to survive the madness. I do believe Mr. Drag will restore order. But for now, I am removing my kids.

Posted May 27, 2009

the teachers is excellent

Posted May 27, 2009

congratulations broaward community chater school west you have a wonderfuly teacher in kindergarten i am very proud .the teacher is ms.lopez.thank you for everything you do for our kids

Posted April 24, 2009

This school is the worst , my kid is in 3rd grade , changed teachers 2 times for the year so far and also changed principals again. Mr. Dragg is never in the East campus and when you ask to have a conference with teachers to find out about your kid progess the teachers get really upset with you. I was even told to ask my child about her progress and not the teacher. and I was told that by the eteacher . What a Waste!!! same the time dont send you kids there.

Posted November 12, 2008

This is far most the worst school I have ever been envolved in, This is the 3rd and LAST year I will have my kids attend this school. The LeonaGroup will find out by next year when the enrollment is so low they cant and will not ever open again. They are the worst most unprofessional team of leaders that do not belong in this type of field. I feel very sorry for my son who is on his 3rd teacher as a first grader. I cant wait to hold up a sign to discourage parents for the new school year, I will make sure no one will go through what I have been through and my son!

Posted November 12, 2008

Please do not send your kids here, the worst teachers, the worst staff the no playgroudns no cafeteria, no computers over crowed please please stay away from this school!

Posted November 12, 2008

Ever since Mr Drag left it has gone downhill actually it went to the dogs when the Leona group came aboard- no personal feelings for the new principal please use good judgement when thinking about your childs future. the school should have stayed the way it was in the little building. Sorry it didnt work out

Posted June 15, 2008

I had my two kids for two year, and it was the worst experience. There's no leadership or quality teachers. I hope they have a better year this august.

Posted January 11, 2008

This is my first year at the west campus, I am pleased thus far. The principal Mr. Drag appears to be on top of things. He knows 'every' student by name same w/ the Ms.Debbianne @ the front desk. I asked Principal Drag several questions before placing my child into this school, in regards to academics, aftercare, after school activities as well as teacher qualifications. I was very impressed; I placed my child into this school because she wasn't being challenged at her previous school. I no longer have that problem she is constantly being academically driven.

Posted December 19, 2007

When bcc had an opening in the 6th grade for my son, i thought finally he'll get the extra help he needs. In 2 weeks i knew i was wrong. I've been ignored by no return responses from staff. these teachers, none of them seem to care if the student learns or not. It's alot easier to teach average kids, to much time and trouble to try and help a kid slipping behind before it's too late. My son is 13y.O. In 6th grade with a level 1 reading. I'm still fighting for an ese approval. This school is oblivious to special needs students or they just don't care. The latter is my guess.

Posted August 28, 2007

This message is for all the parents who are interested in placing their child in this school. Make sure you ask for your teacher's certification. One of the schools problem is the ESE department, they aren't organized and they need more training and they need more personnel. The lack of resources to teach ESE students causes them to fall behind. The class ratio is not small as they claim on their webpage. Safety is poor, anyone can go inside unnoticed. Once again please consider another school for your child.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

17 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2013.

17 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

21 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 53% in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

20 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "B".

Asian N/A 3%

• Mr. John Drag
Fax number
  • (954) 345-1199

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now