Riverside Elementary School

Public | PK-5 | 947 students

Sweep tile

Posted March 7, 2014

Unfortunately, this is one of the worst experiences my child and I have ever had with a school. My personal opinion is that the majority of the teachers at this school do not have the ability to teach a child, they are only capable of instructing a group. I was very disappointed and have, thankfully, moved out of the county and away from that district. I truly hope that these teachers receive the training they need and that they receive helpers, as many do not have any. They also need to learn that the parents are not the enemy and that, above any other, we care more about our child than they do. When we for suggestions or email concerns, have the decency to respond. This school needs a lot of work!!!

Posted July 25, 2013

Riverside Elementary School is one of the best schools in Northwest Florida. I wouldn't send my children anywhere else. Teachers and staff are caring, hardworking, and truly love their jobs.

Posted December 1, 2012

Riverside Elementary school is by far hands down the best elementary school I have been involved with. My son has been there for 2 years now. He is in 1st grade. We live out of their zone but they have been very helpful and so far both years the zone waiver has been approved. I am very encouraged and hopeful this will continue throughout his elementary years. This is the most involved and informative school I have come across for my children. My daughter went to Northwood and I was and still am very disgusted with them, Richburg and Crestview High. I am so pleased and so thankful for the awesome education my son is receiving at Riverside and had I known then what I know now I would have done anything possible to have my daughter at the old Southside. The entire staff and faculty have been nothing but helpful, involved, informative. Our family has recently gone through several tragedies and without the support from Riverside, I don't know where things would would be for my son and his education. Thank you so much to everyone at Riverside without you my son would not have the amazingly awesome start and education he is getting during these very crucial early years. Cudos. 100 stars!!

Posted August 12, 2012

My son did his 3rd grade at Riverside. We actually love the school but I had a HUGE problem with my sons teacher. She had no control over the class, extremely unorganized, claimed she had very little time during the day to write notes home about how my son was doing. She never made sure he or any of the kids had packed their homework and when I suggested his Math homework book stay at home, and she just make sure my son had the pages, she still couldn't manage even that! I even volunteered to put homework packages together for the class and she told me she didn't have the weeks shedule and that she put the lesson plans together during the day for the next day, which was shown to be false after talking to the principle. And after weeks and weeks of asking her to help me help my son, I finally went to the principle and the matter was resolved for about a week and then the teacher went back to being lazy again. So over all I was NOT happy with the teacher WE had, but I don't blame the school, the staff are extremely helpful and other people I talked to said they had great teachers. I don't like that the school concentrates mostly on the FCAT but that is all schools around this area

Posted July 30, 2012

My family moved to Crestview a few months before school ended this year.. However my son finished his first grade year here at Riverside Elem. and in comparison to the school he was going to in Birmingham Alabama...this school is off the charts he managed an A average at his old school, but didnt feel as welcome or comfortable in the 1 1/2 years he was at his old school.When he started here at Riverside he felt very welcome and comfortable. His teacher and the rest of the facilty made me as a parent feel very comfortable asking questions as to how my son was doing in the new atmosphere...I am looking forward to all the years to come for my 2nd grader and my son who will be attending this school for K next year....GO Riverside Eagles keep up the good work!

Posted December 13, 2010

My daughter's first school, she attended Kinder and 1st grade here. I loved the school, so did she. While in Kindergarden it was Southside, now Riverside, same faculty with a more beautiful school location. I couldn't ask for more, the faculty was very good and involved, so was the administrative office, always very helpful. My daugher is and remains an A+ student thanks to them in great part. I'd highly recommend this school to anyone with high expectations/standards.

Posted August 21, 2007

As with any school, parent involvement is very important. You can never have enough parent volunteers at the school. Both of my children have attended Southside Elementary School since their kindergarten years (oldest just started 6th grade). The teachers at SES are phenomenal - top notch. They teach because they are passionate about educating youth. They are sensitive, caring and there! I can't speak highly enough about this school that we have come to love and cherish.

Posted September 13, 2006

Southside is a great school. The principal and teachers are outstanding. I would not send my child anywhere else.

Posted May 20, 2006

Needs more volunteers and aides. The school needs a more structured PE program.

Posted December 13, 2005

Southside Elementary isn't a bad school, but it's not the greatest either. It has a 25 to 1 teacher/student ratio, which isn't very good for giving many children 1 on 1 help at the times they need it. The facility itself is quite run down. The staff is the bottom of the barrel for the district. My child has gone to 2 different schools in the county. The first, Cherokee, was wonderful,and Antioch is raved about by parents. However, for the last four years he has been at Southside, where he has only had one teacher worthy to be teaching.

Posted August 19, 2005

We have had 4 children attend Southside. This school is great. We feel this school is the best kept secret in Crestview. The teaachers go way above and beyond their call to duty. On any weekend you will usually find many of them at the school preparing for the next weeks work. The teachers genuinely care about the students and their co-workers which provides for a very comfortable learning environment. I always feel welcome at the school and the principal and teachers will sincerely listen to what I have to say. The teachers appear to be happy and I feel this, in itself, makes for a pleasant school environment where our children can learn. My children love to go to the library. They feel welcome and their book collection is excellent. The library is one of the focal points of the school. They always have something happening. We love this School!

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2013.

162 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2013.

162 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 61% in 2013.

145 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

145 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 83% in 2013.

142 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Math

The state average for Math was 55% in 2013.

141 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2013.

142 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Science

The state average for Science was 53% in 2013.

141 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

124 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Asian 2% 3%

• Mrs. Marline Vandyke
Fax number
  • (850) 689-7401

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now