Academy At The Farm

Charter | K-8 | 419 students

Posted May 14, 2014

Academy at the Farm has been a blessing for our child and family. The public school we're zoned for was not an option due to it's low score and the horror stories I've heard from friends and teachers; it was either homeschool or hope that our child got into AATF. The children receive such a wonderful, individualized education that fits their needs (small groups if they're behind or above their grade level) and the teachers are consistent about staying in touch on your child's progress. The office staff is incredible and very kind; there's always a bright smiling face to greet you . The director is a cut above the rest. My husband and I are both awed by his dedication to the school and students. ( I swear he must have a clone because he is proudly at every meeting and every event!) We love the school and look forward to many years of proudly being AATF parents.

Posted January 6, 2014

I not only am a parent, but also a teacher at AATF. My children have been there 7 years now. I am extremely happy with the education my children receive. They both get what they need academically and also the character development training that is lacking in other schools. There is absolutely no other school for my children. Now...we need a high school!

Posted April 5, 2013

We waiting to get a spot in this school, which did not come available until mid-year. I dismissed the negative comments after touring the school. However, I removed my child from the school because of the nature of the teachers and principal. They did not have his best interests at heart and sitting through the parent-teacher conference was like listening to people complain about their job at a bar. We moved him to the school to get away from bullies and what we found were nothing more than adult ones. I spoke one of the men who started the school recently and he removed his son because of the new principal. I also had an education professor research the teachers & principal and he was very disappointed in the credentials he found. I am sure that for some parents this school is great. However, I know what an actual great school is and this is not it. The negative reviews are correct. Don't waste your time or your child's. The extra staff in the rooms (paraprofessionals) are just helpers. Not teachers.

Posted March 4, 2013

This is the 2nd yr my children attend this school. My kids love it, the teachers do a great job addressing the children's learning capabilies, they offer enrich and academic support for both of my children. They offer enough clubs at the school. I hope the future years are as good at the first 2!

Posted February 27, 2013

My child started kindergarten at the zoned elementary school and started struggling with the fact that she had too many misbehaving children in her class. Luckily, mid year she was able to start academy at the farm and her entre aura changed. She was excited about school, talked about her teachers and assignments and never has to deal with bad behavior. The teachers along with the child to teacher ratio is amazing! I could not be happier with this school.

Posted February 27, 2013

After reading the negative comments posted on this site I can guarantee they were written by people that were not able to get in from the waiting list and are disgruntled. I can say there is a huge waiting list for this school because of its stellar reputation and you cant just move to the area and kiss some butts and think you will get in. There is an equal opportunity lottery and just because you came from the "best charter school" doesnt mean your walking right in. It is a shame people would bad mouth a school that has worked so hard to receive its wonderful reputation. I had to wait my turn and the wait was worth it!

Posted January 23, 2013

Here's why I like AATF: I called to verify my kids' re-enrollment form was received by the office because I sent it to school with my son. (You can't be too careful and there's no way I'd want to lose our spot.) When I was connected with the Admin Assistant and told her who I was, she didn't even have to look anything up. She said she had received it and everything was in order. That's what I love about this school. You're not just another face in the crowd and the individual matters. I'm not one of the moms who lives at the school. I'm just a regular mom who pops in to help a time or two each year. But they know people by name. They hire sharp people who treat others with dignity and respect while maintaining an expectation of success and excellence. Can't say enough good about the school!

Posted January 23, 2013

This place is FANTASTIC! What a difference! An extremely happy learning environment!!! Not a detail is missing!

Posted January 12, 2013

AATF is a great place for kids to grow in learning and in character. The leadership and staff recognize that this is just as important to a child's success as academics. The school sets high standards academically, as they should. Anyone who has been paying attention to the direction Florida is steering the education system understands that the Common Core standards are only a few years away and students will be expected to acheive so much more than what is currently expected. Instruction must be rigourous now to prepare them for what is to come. Reviewers have mentioned that their children have done so much better after leaving AATF, that is not neccessarily a good thing since Pasco County is doing nothing to prepare students for the rigourous and demanding standards that are coming soon. Another reviewer mentioned negatively to the fact that many teachers/staff have their own children in the school. I would be worried otherwise! Why would I send my child to a school if the teachers themselves didn't feel it was a good place to educate their own kids? AATF may not be for everyone, but it's the only place for my children! I highly recommend anyone to come check it out!

Posted January 12, 2013

We have been a part of this school from the beginning. We helped move in fixures to open this school. A solid school committed to closing the educational gap in this country. You can be sure that your child will be challenged to excel and perform at the highest level they can reach. Of course some parents and children are not able to accept this and cry as they leave. If you want your child to succeed in high school and beyond this is the place. Math, reading and tech skills are required to excel in the ever shrinking global enviroment and you can see on the evening news that other countries are moving beyond us simply due to high level education. A conservative family based school with solid leadership.

Posted January 11, 2013

All 3 of my children attend/attended Academy at the Farm. It is a safe environment for all. I amazed how the students with disabilites are treated by their peers. They fit in, participate, and are loved and cared for by all. Accepting others, regardless of their differences, is a wonderful trait to have in life.

Posted January 10, 2013

I have 4 children who have had the PRIVILEGE of attending AATF. My oldest had low self-esteem due to years of an SLD Reading issue. We came to this school when he began 6th grade. Thanks to AATF he is now a thriving, happy high school student with at 3.6 GPA! My second child is very bright and AATF recognized her potential. They had her on an accelerated curriculum and she gained tremendous knowledge for the 4 years she attended. My youngest two started in kindergarten...they have had nothing but the best since day one! I can't think of another school that loves the kids the way they do here, not to mention the rigorous academics. Yes, AATF has set a high standard for my kids. They have nightly homework, projects, extra-curricular activities and character expectations...Thank Goodness!!! They are preparing my kids for their future and I couldn't possibly be happier with the well-rounded education they are receiving. We are truly PRIVILEGED:)

Posted January 10, 2013

Academy at the Farm is a quality A rated charter school in Pasco county. Here are a few reasons why the Academy is so successful: *The school promotes a positive approach to teaching by focusing on each individual students progress. *The dedicated teachers and staff provide a variety of options for teaching the curriculum. *The school offers a challenging curriculum that promotes all students to be successful. *The Academy at the Farm has high expectations for all teachers and students. *Parent involvement has been essential to the success of the Academy. *The Character Education program promotes respectful students. *School wide up to date technology programs *Computer Lab The Academy at the Farm is proud to be an A rated charter school. The outstanding teachers and staff make the Academy a positive environment for children to learn to their full potential. The Academy will continue to do what is best for students each and everyday.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted October 31, 2012

This is a very good school. Not a great one yet, but it has much potential. The teachers are very caring and there is a community atmosphere, and both of those are reasons that people look to charter schools in the first place. The parents are involved and there are good families here. Again, reasons that people look to charter schools. The academics are improving, and with a focus on rigor, academic excellence, and programs that focus on students who excel (such as NJHS), the school can become a haven for both able learners and students who are willing to work hard. With a bit more direction, the faculty can assume a stance of academic integrity through their own certification and involvement, and I see positive steps in that regard. We are very happy at AATF and hope to continue to see advancement toward innovative teaching and rigor. I have found a very receptive administration eager to improve and be the best, and I believe they are determined to put into place all supports and programs that will do just that. Parents who are chagrined might look to their own ability to support and improve the school. I recommend the school and look forward to watching my son grow there.

Posted September 26, 2012

I am so distressed about the negative reviews of such an amazing school. My children have been attending this school since the 2004 school year. My son and daughter are now in High School and went straight into all honors classes. When my son began going to AATF he was struggling in all areas, especially reading. I still have 3 children that attend and my 4 year old will go into kindergarten next year. I trust EVERYONE on staff at that school. Even the new teachers this year, I know have been selected carefully to meet the needs of each child in the school. I have never had a problem getting a conference if I felt in were necessary. And although there are bullies in every school, when an issue comes up it is dealt with in a respectful and expedient manner. Their have been changes from year to year, some I don't like, most I do. But their are no perfect people therefore their will be no perfect school. But I do know that my children have received and will continue to receive an exceptional education in the formative years of their lives. THANK YOU ACADEMY AT THE FARM FOR ALL THAT YOU DO!

Posted August 6, 2012

Another year of sour attitudes and joyless faces to endure at Academy at the Farm. I believe if the parents on that waiting list truly paid attention to the complaints on this site, the numbers would drastically fall. Time will tell. ATF is just another run of the mill public school. Each year it's gotten closer and closer to following each and every rule, guideline, schedule, excuse, process, technique, and disconnect that well describes every public school in this county. Unique would NOT best describe this school. My biggest complaint is the blatant disrespect shown to my child and her family. One complaint from us and we're no longer treated the same. Yes, they might choose to hear you but be assured of your placement on the pending list for which you'll find yourself. It's won't be the A-list or the A-classroom for that matter. Division runs rampant here and the funny part is my kid knows it. So, she has been taught to disregard those who wish to push her aside. A good valuable lesson that will serve her well. Bullies come in all shapes and sizes and are found everywhere and anywhere. ATF, your reputation will preceed you - slowly but surely.

Posted August 5, 2012

My daughter could not stand this school. She started falling behind. I would talk to her teachers and they would tell me she is doing fine and she was not. Do your homework and please listen to your kids. When I pulled her out and put her in another school she did much better and loved it.

Posted July 15, 2012

I was reading some of the comments about our school. Of course it hirts. We have about 220 families in our school with 390 students. We are ranked in Pasco County asone of the top school. We are in the top four or higher either in math, reading, or science. We are also ranked 37 in the state of Florida out of over 500 charter schools. Our teacher/para staff is 1 to 8. I don't know of school that can brag about that. When people pull their child from our school I always wish th parent would have come and seen me way before thinking of pulling the child. When we know of a concern, we address it. It may not make everyone happy but they will be heard. That is a few reasons why we have over 190 students on our waiting list each year. Ray Polk, Director

Posted July 17, 2011

I had 4 kids go to this school and pulled the last 3 out. At the start it was everything a school should be. We were there from day 1.It had a perfect balance of academics and ethics. My 1st child did great and went on to graduate HS with honors in all AP classes. Then it slowly started turning into a nepotistic political mess. It was nothing more than an employment mill for "Old Dade City Network . A new , unqualified director was put into place in 2010"a friend"of the old director.The students suffered and the focus changed. If you were not "Old Dade City" or "New Money" you were treated like dirt until you left. I ended up pulling my last 3 kids out. Once out, I had to hire tutors to catch them up to grade level. The school was founded on having ESE kids as its cornerstone. Once the New Guard took over all the ESE kids were kicked out and sent to other schools. The ESE portion of the charter is now only for "gifted" ESE. Shameful.

Posted July 10, 2011

This school is a horrible school, both children were pulled out. The school is in fact the opposite of how it is "formally" described. It is not an academy where children are taught to excel academically. Most of the school consists of staff and teachers that are related to each other and several of the students there are their own children. Those children are not treated like all of the other kids and if you are not part the so-called "loop", both student and parent alike become outcasts. The school is run by a bunch of money hungry people, right down to the secretaries. All they do is ask for money and if you don't have that money to give, then you are looked down upon. DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILDREN TO THIS SCHOOL.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

43 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

43 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

46 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

46 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

48 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

50 students were tested at this school in 2014.

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

50 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

43 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

39 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

9500 Alex Lange Way