Nova High School

Public | 9-12 | 2148 students

Posted May 31, 2014

my son went to nova first thru 12 and the teachers were awesome all thru his whole school but the higher he got the worse decipline my child received. The administration in high school was good but when they get to 12 they just send them thru, I believe its just to get the money for the school. The higher admin has no concern for the parents and definayely not symothic to issues. Ms Erie is #1 in the admin and believe she needs to be higher authority because she is always there to help when a problem occurs. I would say this school is over rated by all means. They look out for themselves and not the children.

Posted February 23, 2013

My two kids attended nova. The first one did O.k. but the few classes that were no honors or A.P. teachers were terrible. The youngest one is tired and disappointed in the school. Principal seems more worry about discipline than anything else and school grades and ranking have been dropping during the last five years.... Cannot wait until the end of the school year to take my child out of that school. Social environment is terrible.

Posted August 14, 2012

I have mixed feelings about this school... It seems they only want to cater to tthose students who are taking Honors or AP classes and the rest are left to their luck. My son went to that school for the first year, last year and he used to tell me, ,mom, Nova is not what you think it is. The kids are disrespectful, they don't listen to the teachers, they are rude and loud in the corridors, they don't even know the subjects well he was shocked it is an A school and I have come to realize they are separated by classes and ranks, and if you take only regular classes MOST not ALL of the teachers really don't take the time to communicate with the parents. I had many emails not answered and this was usually from one of the worse classes he had where the students were the worse, Algebra I, which leads me to believe that which I stated before,,, tthey probably discriminate against a regular student vs an advanced student and that is wrong.

Posted July 17, 2011

Nova. Still remains the top public school in the county. With programs for the top kids like debate, and athletics and pullout tutoring, Nova is full of opportunities for kids if parents take advantage.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 25, 2010

My kids go there and the staff and teachers are caring and great!!

Posted May 24, 2009

My children's names were the last on the 'list', this is before the lottery began. They are going to graduate this year and I know that the Nova diploma means everything to them. They realize that Nova brings value to that diploma.

Posted May 23, 2009

It's not a bad school, but it's not what it's cracked up to be. I had two children attend this school. During those years, I found two things to be unacceptable: - One daughter skipped classes, I found out after she graduated. Never did I get a phone call regarding this. I would have wanted to know about this behavior and it would have been stopped. - At one point, my other daughter needed to drop an A.P. class, as she was way overloaded. The counselors and teacher did not want her to do so and were rather vocal about it ('Come on, my daughter takes five A.P.'s' said one to her when I was in the room.) I had to pull parent rank and say, 'Look, I trust my kid. If she says she's overloaded, I believe her.' I didn't like my child being browbeaten for selfish reasons.

Posted May 9, 2009

Nova High School certainly lacks in teacher assistance. The students have so much expected of them. Being a single mother, I am at home and able to assist my son with the loads of pointless projects. I recieve no returned e-mails or phone calls from any of the teachers. Overall, I am extremely dissatisfied as this school brings shame to the the state of Florida.

Posted April 20, 2009

As a mother, I was thoroughly disappointed in this school as a whole. My daughter, who although excelled, had to put forth more effort than was needed, thanks to the lack of help, or should I say no help from the teachers. Also, their debate team does not seem to mind taking all the extra 'advantages', yet still loses to Pine View, where all my children now go, and have a wonderful learning and cultural experience.

Posted December 19, 2008

I am a Former Nova Parent...last child grduated last year. Both of our children are in college and doing very well. They were well prepared and the quality of education was great, but like anything else your child has to be willing to work hard to get he most out of it. Nova's AP classes really prepare kids for the colege work load.

Posted November 14, 2008

Im a junior in nova high school class of 10 yes we done it and with help of our principal john lacasse and ms erie.. Nova is the best school in broward and the oonly issue at nova is that the luch we should be allowed to eat off campus weve earned this oppurtinity being a 4year a school and ranked in the top 200 in the nation as well allow us as students the right to use cell phones in lunch.. Im happy to say i attend nova high school

Posted November 7, 2008

As a graduate of the Nova Schools, as well as a parent of two graduates of Nova, I couldn't be more pleased with the quality of education we all received.

Posted October 11, 2008

This is a wonderful school for kids that want a good edgucation. It's an 'A' school for the past 5 years

Posted October 1, 2008

This School is very cool to be at and It is very clan and educational.

Posted July 22, 2008

Nova is like any other school. They focus on the Fcat and have a way of teaching us students to do our best. That if we would like to succeed we must do our best and try hard!

Posted July 5, 2008

Nova High School has a good range of sports and clubs for students. The only downside would be the large class sizes. Because of the fact that the High School and Middle School are one big structure and are connected, there is always a large number of students at all times which keeps some students from getting the attention or discipline they need. There is also often a shortage of lockers and books which results in students carrying books back and forth everyday. It is true that the administration can be overbearing and suspends the wrong students while not suspending the ones that are actually doing the wrong things, but the opportunities to join extracurricular activities is great.

Posted January 12, 2008

I would like to get my daughter in your high school, she attended summer and fall science courses at Nova elementary.

Posted December 6, 2007

I am a former student. I attended Nova from elementary school and graduated in 2005. I am now a junior in college. I believe Nova did prepare me academically for higher education. I took 5 AP classes there, which were all challenging and prepared me for college material. I loved the school because it started later in the day and the diversity allowed me to gain life long friends from all backgrounds. I was not a trouble maker, I was a honor student with good grades. However, on rare ocassions I was punished, due to Nova's unfair administration.

Posted November 17, 2007

i have attended nova all my life and i have am extremly happy with the education i have recived. Nova is a well rounded and diverse school which prideds its slef on being an A school for the past 3 years. Nova is a very safe school as well, we rarley have any fights or problem and i always feel safe. Nova High is a great school and alot of fun!

Posted July 29, 2007

I've attended Nova for all four of my high school years and graduated in the class of 2007. With that being said I feel I know Nova, the students and staff, and I feel that Nova is a great place for your child to attend as long as they stay out of trouble. The administration has a very heavy hand and in most situations they will hear both sides but there minds will already be made up about how your child will be disciplined. Some of there methods to get students to class such as hallsweeps (When the tardy bell rings if you're in the halls you receive a Saturday detention regardless of the reason)are a bit extreme but at the same time I was always running to my class and you believe me when I say I was almost always on time. So in all great school hard administration.
—Submitted by a former student

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

506 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

558 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

561 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

542 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

337 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

580 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

469 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 4%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Librarian/media specialist(s)
PE instructor(s)
School social worker/counselors(s)
Speech and language therapist(s)
Art teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
School psychologist
Security personnel
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Special education / special needs

• Speech and language therapist(s)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)

• PE instructor(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • School psychologist
  • School social worker/counselors(s)
  • Security personnel
Transportation options
  • Buses/vans for students only
  • School shares bus/van with other schools
  • Access to sports fields

Performing arts
  • Drama

School culture

• Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer time after school
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

3600 College Avenue