840 students|Volusia

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Too much (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Very ineffective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Student (1 response)

Grateful to: Student

Posted February 25, 2016
I want to thank my son for being so patient with his teachers and being so smart because he has extreme patience with these women and he seems to rise above it all without any problems.

Teacher effectiveness: Very ineffective

Posted February 25, 2016
The teachers are ineffective because they throw everything on the parents. If you want your child to have a good education they tell you to do it yourself.

Amount of homework: Too much

Posted February 25, 2016
Here's the thing about their homework. Most of it's average but much of it's pointless. Many of the problems ask the students for their opinion and it's been my experience that if the teachers don't agree with YOUR OPINION they will mark it wrong. My son has brought math and english homework home and the pages were misprinted so much so that instead of reprinting them the teachers asked the students to rewrite the questions or problems themselves and then answer them.

Develops grit: Strongly disagree

Posted February 25, 2016
This school only does the basics. No more and no less. That I can say. Your child can get a higher education through tv and the internet.

Develops honesty: Strongly disagree

Posted February 25, 2016
This school places all responsibility on the parent. Your better off teaching your child everything you can on your own because that's what the teachers expect.

South Daytona Elementary School 1

Posted February 25, 2016
I read these reviews and I strongly disagree. The teachers are extremely lazy, education is average if that and if your single father like me let me tell you right now DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD TO THIS SCHOOL!!! THEY DO NOT LIKE SINGLE DADS AND THEY'VE MADE THAT PERFECTLY CLEAR!!! He's gone to this school for 2 years now. His grades are excellent but the lessons and homework are printed off of a website. I don't call that a higher education. The first year I requested a conference with his teacher at least 5 times and directly asked her for a conference and she said she would get back with me and NEVER DID. She was out almost the entire year having babies and every time I did see her that was her excuse for not having a conference with me. My son is now in 2nd grade. He now has 2 lazy teachers and again his grades are great but he's not being challenged enough and their response to him finishing before everyone else in his class is not to move him up or give him more work but to make him sit quietly until the rest of the class catches up to him. I take issue with that. NO ONE AT THIS SCHOOL SEEMS TO CLAIM ANY RESPONSIBILITY FOR THE WORK THEY DO. His teachers were very confrontational when I met them for a parent/teacher conference. I told them my child isn't being challenged enough and they needed to allow him to do more and somehow they took that and told me flat out "Well, that's a job for his parent it's not our job to do that" I let them know "Yeah your his teachers it is your responsibility to teach him all you can" They quickly shot that down and again tried to place the blame on me and it concluded with them informing me that my child is a B+ student and if I expect him to learn more than I need to teach him more myself. That type of response from a teacher to a parent is unacceptable to say the least. My child just recently tested gifted and I went today to have a conference with them and another woman and right off the bat once the woman realized I was a single parent and that no woman would be joining me they quickly down played my child's score when I was told by the school psychologist that he scored a 135 and the requirement for gifted was 130 and higher. When I told them it's not right that they use my status as a single parent against my child I was told to leave. My child will not be attending next year UNDER ANY CIRCUMSTANCES!!!

South Daytona Elementary School 5

Posted August 22, 2013
Great school, great communication and a pleasure to be at. I was so happy with the school when my two girls went there, that I applied for a position in the office. Go Dragons!

Posted October 10, 2009
The dedication of the teachers and other staff is wonderful!!

South Daytona Elementary School 5

Posted March 05, 2009
All of the teachers, admin, and staff are very pleasant and helpful! GREAT SCHOOL!

Posted July 23, 2008
I actually moved out of the whole school district. I seen too many kids including my own going thru school not learning anything. they believe they are a daycare and the parents are supposed to be the teachers. But dont speak your mind they are a very tight click.

600 Elizabeth Place, Daytona Beach, FL  32119
Last modified South Daytona Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.