307 students|Volusia

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Reading Edge Academy has always met the needs of my very bright and motivated child. The parents and children are well behaved and courteous of one another due to the great quality of instruction and love of all the teachers and administration.

Principal is only there no more than half of the time and therefore does not seem to have a clue as to what is going on or more precisely what is not going on. Consequently the Reading Edge Academy ranking has been dropping and it now has fallen from the top in the Florida State rankings for elementary schools to the point that it is now ranked in the lower 50% group. This year alone it dropped 177 spaces in the state rankings based on the FCAT test results. In my opinion, the Principal and the Asst. Principal need to get their act together.

Teacher effectiveness: Disagree

Reading Edge Academy has now dropped into the BOTTOM HALF of the over 2000 elementary schools in the state of Florida based on the results of the statewide FCAT tests. It appears to be in disarray as the Principal is rarely there more than half of the time. This year alone it dropped 177 places in the state rankings based on the FCAT test results. The Principal is splitting her time between two schools that are far apart. and it seems to be taking a toll on both schools

I randomly came in to take a tour of this school, and talk to their assistant principal regarding my reasons for changing schools for my child. I was impressed by her genuine caring personality. Within days of starting kindergarten at Reading Edge, I saw a complete transformation of my child's perspective on learning, as well as his behavior. I am so impressed and thankful for my child's teacher, assistant teacher and all of the staff at Reading Edge. I could not have dreamed up a better school. I wholeheartedly recommend Reading Edge with the utmost confidence. They are wonderful!

REA has always been on my radar since my grand daughters were to young to attend. I liked the school, the staff, and the fact the children are not running around in the halls. When my grand daughter were of age and started in kindergarden I fell in love with the school. You hear a lot of negative responses about charter school but REA is an excellent school, to bad it only goes up to the fifth grade.

I moved here almost 3 years ago and my first stop was a public school. I was so mortified at the way we were treated I would have chosen to home school my son rather then send him to our local public school. I initially thought REA was a private school and was so happy and relieved to find out that all we had to do was volunteer at the school! Most importantly my son loves all of the teachers and he is learning skills he can use in the real world!

At our school I am impressed with the quality of instruction. I have seen other schools in action, and I have never seen such a dedicated staff. The concern for each child and their needs exceeds all others. The commitment to the growth of each student is apparent in the classroom, on the P.E. court, in other special areas, and walking the halls.

I am both a teacher and a parent at this school and have been MORE than pleased! The staff has been warm, welcoming, and inviting since becoming a part of the family! As both a parent and teacher - I was NOT happy with the traditional public school situation for myself, nor my son! Our world has changed because of this school! We are both so happy with school and work! The project based learning concepts that this school uses helps children reach their highest potential in their own time! The progress indicators that are used in replacement of traditional grades - helps students realize that they CAN learn - and they don't HAVE to learn at the same rate as their peers! I highly recommend The Reading Edge Academy !

I find this school very well organized from the front office staff right to the cafeteria staff and everyone in between. This school has made such a great difference in my son's education and I am so glad I made the move here. The teachers and administration are very caring about the student's success. I highly recommend this school to everyone who is looking for an awesome education for their child/children!

The Reading Edge Academy is the best charter school in volusia county. Teachers care about students individually and present a strong academic program, which is both relevant and rigorous to today's classrooms. Administrators and educators at the Reading Edge Academy are friendly people. Walking through the hallways and classrooms throughout the school, one can see students are in a caring and safe learning environment. Educators care about their students and provide both positive verbal and tangible praise for doing their work. If you want your child to go to the best charter school and you live in or near DeBary, Florida, this is the best school to select!

Last modified The Reading Edge Academy is a Charter school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.