PK, 9-12|Public district
2,320 students|Volusia

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Just right (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Somewhat effective (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Staff member (1 response)

Posted March 04, 2016
This school is filled with teachers who could care less if their students succeed. During freshman year I was very Sick and was in the hospital for 2 weeks. Instead of excusing me from assignments I could not possibly make up, they gave me 0s. Thus lowering my GPA to a mere 1.7. Teachers also do not allow makeup work due to their rotten attitutes. Additionally, the students are very immature and the administration is weak. As before mentioned, there are very little substitutes and students are forced to sit in the cafeteria with hundreds of other students. I would never recommended this school to ANYONE. I am switching to FLVS so I can actually get an education .

Posted November 15, 2015
The teachers and staff I have met are very kind and some demonstrate interest in the students. However, having come from Lake Brantley HS (Seminole County) I have to admit Deland HS made me want to move right back! I think it's very sad that as a community and school we don't do much to improve our children's education. As parents and adults (staff) , I think that we should give a damn and set a high standards for our kids. If a student wants to cut class, pick fights, use horrible language then they have no need to attend the school. Give the kids that actually want to succeed a chance to get ahead! I can't understand why the City of Deland hasn't invested more money in their HS , to be quite honest I think the city should build a separate HS. Parent

Posted May 15, 2014
If I didn't have to give a star, then I would rate this school a zero. They left me completely uninformed up until registering for my senior year. I now have to take 8 classes instead of the normal 7. That was until I found out they also got rid of French 2, meaning I will have to take that online this summer while I am a camp counselor. In December I was told not to take the PERT because of my FCAT scores, then when I went to register for senior year I was told I am being pulled from my AP courses and placed in remedial classes for "skipping" the PERT. DHS has taken me from a 4.0 student to a 3.0 student and the teachers here sure know how to leave you feeling like an awful person. I would definitely never suggest DHS for your student.

Posted April 22, 2014
I've read a few comments from students who claim they made great academic achievements at this school, but their grammar is horrible! If your grammar is terrible, then maybe you aren't doing as well as you thought you were. Anyway, this school is terrible. With 51 health violations? Count me out. The students? Apparently not the best. In 2011, Examiner.com states that 8 fights, each involving 20 or 30 students broke out. Not hard to believe, considering I went to DeLand High my freshman and sophomore year. Everyone always wanted to fight each other. Not very mature. I also think that if teachers and the principal will allow all of this to go on, they aren't amazing at controlling students or enforcing the rules. Plus, when I went there, there were hardly any substitutes, they just sent classes to the cafeteria. The teachers put in charge of watching over students in the cafeteria don't even do their jobs. This all just adds up to students easily sneaking in and skipping class. This is just based off of what I've seen first-hand.

Posted October 04, 2013
This school is a perfect example of the blind leading the blind. No one gives a rip! I am looking into where I can move my child. Horrible.

Deland High School 5

Posted November 14, 2012
I am a sophomore in the engineering academy at the school. I have been very successful there, and it has shaped me in very positive ways. A lot of scary stories come out of there, and I admit I have my own. Some people see Deland, and automatically turn there nose up at it. Maybe it's the fact that it pulls from all walks of life, and actually has somewhat mixed demographic. what ever the reason, I am not entirely sure. It has taught me how to deal with all kinds of people. I have met lots of friends there; It has a large since of community in my opinion. I am enjoying every minute of it. Lets go bulldogs!!!

Posted August 13, 2012
Geometry Math teacher is uninterested in teaching, but enjoys get paid for nothing. Students are not learning.

Posted April 21, 2012
My child had a poor experience at this school. The administration and teachers do nothing to control the profanity in the school. My child was also attacked by students in the physical education class. The action taken by the administration is always- after the fact. This school needs to seriously consider a program to help students understand how to respect themselves and others. I would not recommend this school to any middle school student.

Deland High School 5

Posted December 16, 2010
My son attended and played on the football team '09. He received a scholarship to college and was greatly helped by the Principal (Mr. Moyer), Athletic Director (Mr. Clements) and his Coach (Kevin Pettis). My wife and I also attended DHS...Bulldog Pride

Deland High School

Posted October 21, 2010
I went there, and so did the rest of my family. Go Bulldogs!!!!

Deland High School
800 North Hill Avenue, DeLand, FL  32724
Last modified Deland High School is a Public school that serves grades PK, 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.