DeLand, FL
Before care: Yes
School principal icon 130x130 140902

School Official Point of View

Children's House Montessori School has had a very stable staff since 2007. The school has grown in population and has maintained a standard of excellence attracting experienced well qualified professionals. Please schedule a visit to more fully understand and appreciate our programs and our environments.
February 13, 2014

Posted March 07, 2014
LOVE THIS SCHOOL! My children have been attending for 5 years. Having come from a family of more traditional educators, I admit that I have had to dedicate some study to start to really understand the Montessori Method. I have found that some of the rulers that we use to measure traditional programs just dont apply here. For eg, having a low teacher to student ratio just isnt necessary for an effective Montessori classroom. This is evidenced by a class of 28 three to five year olds all happily and quietly on task, learning from older students, teaching younger students, and getting any necessary guidance or new lessons from an attentive teacher. The teachers are remarkably well-trained, effective, and compassionate with any challenges our kids may face day to day. They take the time to know all aspects of every student, so they can help them grown and thrive on every level. The lessons and materials are beautiful and brilliantly created. The outdoor envirnment is huge and magical and essential. The administration is supportive. The parents are active and always contributing to enhance the already awesome curriculum. It is a true community.My children are thriving.THANK YOU CHMS!

Posted February 09, 2014
My son went to this incredible school from 3 years of age, until he graduated from the 8th grade, and he is currently a successful IB student at a public high school. I praise this school so fiercely, my grandson is currently enrolled here now. We were not sure what we were looking for in a school for our son initially, but knew that it had to be something that would challenge him and make him keep reaching, while being in a safe and harmonious atmosphere, we found that and so very much more here. I knew beyond a doubt, that every kind and gentle lesson I taught him at home, was reinforced at school, in conjunction, the lessons that they taught him at school, were reinforced at home. Without a doubt we learned our sons teachers, they learned us, and we all had a vested interest in our son becoming an asset to home, school, life and society. I am so proud to be the mom of my son, he is a Gentleman. Thank you Children's House, and all the incredible people there that make it the incredible learning site that it is, and I look forward to many more years with you as I watch my Little Guy begin his Montessori journey. Bless you!

Posted November 06, 2013
CHMS right now is having issues, with FOM board members leaving, to families leaving because of middle school issues, the teachers are mostly passionate but stuck in there ways! The younger aids and teachers seem more enthusiastic. But if your child does not fit into the Montessori box then you might have issues they seemed to have forgotten that not all children are the same, some need instruction or guidance and that does not make them ill equip to perform!! they don't have a good physical education program that may parents feel would help round out the curriculum. they are in a state of transition right now and it may cause an increase in tuition next year only time will tell!

Posted August 13, 2013
The concept of a Montessori would have been great if they keep the number of students in a class low. My son age 3 went to the primary program (age 3-6) and theres 28 students in one class with 1 primary teacher and 1 aide, thats a lot to handle & hard to give one on one attention especially for the younger ones, the child dictates the pace and they dont seem to have a learning objective or a time frame as to what a child should be learning by a certain time or period. Also the primary teacher seems too keen to observe my childs mistakes and kept asking him why he did it instead of telling him that what he did wasnt right and show them the right way and acknowledge right behavior, a 3 year old couldnt reason out well yet especially coz my son is bilingual and his primary language at home isnt english and its his first school and wasnt on any daycare before. So one time the teacher informed us that he's deviant in the classroom which surprised us coz he wasnt like that at all at home. So after 6 months we decided to move him to a different private school and so far we dont have any issues or complain from his teachers and he seems happier and excited to wake up every school morning.

Posted July 29, 2011
THIS SCHOOLL ISSS AMMAZINNG ! SOOO HAPPY THERE IS GOING TO BE MIDDLE SCHOOOL ! GOOOOOOO MONTESSORI !

Posted November 28, 2010
This school has excellent teachers and the Montessori approach is so different than conventional teaching. Teachers spend one on one with each student, children work hands on materials carefully design and appropriate for the age of the child that correct the child when doing mistakes. I would say the standards of this school are high and according to the State of Florida. I have three children, all of them are learning a lot in this school, I have one in primary, one in lower elementary and one in upper elementary. All these three levels are awesome! I wish this school grow to even teach High School!

Posted September 17, 2009
Children are allowed to be children and learn through exploration. They are taught not only writing, reading, math, and science, but also precious life skills. They learn how to take care of the earth and animals. They are also taught important social skills so often left out of education. This is done in a safe, open environment. Parents are encouraged to take part in the education of their children. It is a magical place!

Posted August 22, 2007
this school offers much more than academics. life lessons are taught and learned at this school. helping out your classmate(s) is encouraged. my sons have been at this school for years and simply thrieving!

Posted March 08, 2007
If you are looking to enroll your child in a private school with small classroom size, this is not it. The primary classes have 30-32 children in each one. Each class has 1 teacher and 1 aid. I am very dissatisfied because if I wanted large classrooms I would send my child to Public school.

Children's House Montessori 3

Posted February 12, 2007
CHM used to be a wonderful school. The only good thing about CHM is the music program.

Children's House Montessori
509 E Pennsylvania Ave, DeLand, FL  32724
Last modified Children's House Montessori is a Private school that serves grades PK-8
Children's House Montessori Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 14 reviews. Top