Delray Beach, FL
Students enrolled: 2,152
After care: No

Posted May 02, 2015
Atlantic High School is a school on the rise! It is diverse because Delray Beach is diverse, but the school is aware that balance is necessary and with the expansion of the IB program, balance gets better every year. It has a fabulous PTSA which unites parents, teachers, and students BUT also connects the school to the local community. Grass roots support of the many wonderful programs that Atlantic Community High School offers. My son was a freshman this year and was a little overwhelmed by all the OPTIONS for sports and clubs. Quality of education is as excellent, admittedly better in the challenging IB progam, but the vibe is good on campus and there is no reason to run to Boca for your high school years.

Posted April 26, 2015
Atlantic Community High School has so much to offer and I am very impressed with the choices my daughter has there. She started in the IB program and then moved to the Honors curriculum where she can choose from a variety of AP and AICE classes as well as Honors classes. I like the well-rounded experience she is getting at Atlantic with all the different electives she has available to her. And although she isn't currently on a sports team, Atlantic has a great offering of football, lacrosse, track and cross country to name a few. Her teachers have been wonderful and the student body is diverse on many different levels which has added to my daughter's great high school experience.

Posted April 23, 2015
My younger son is currently in 10th grade at Atlantic and his brother graduated from Atlantic last year and is attending the University of Florida. Both have had overwhelmingly positive experiences at the school, in the classroom (both in and out of the IB program) and playing on sports teams. Not everything is perfect at Atlantic, but I don't believe my kids could have a better experience or get a better education anywhere else in Palm Beach County. It frustrates me that families who live in Delray Beach are afraid to send their kids to Atlantic. I've had many conversations with parents who think IB is too hard for their kids, but honors or regular classes at Atlantic aren't good enough. I've found that to be simply not true. It's a big enough school that there's a place for everyone. The school offers IB diploma and career certificate programs, AICE, AP, construction & criminal justice academies, JROTC, and more, and teachers and staff at school are supportive of all kinds of students. High school is a time and place for teenagers to learn how to become competent and resilient adults. Atlantic Community High School is a great place for them to do that.

Posted September 10, 2014
I am currently a Sophomore at Atlantic in the IB program. I enjoy going to Atlantic and would not want to go to any other high school. In the IB program, everything is run well and you are getting a top notch education(not to mention it's free.) But, on the contrary if you are in the Honors or Regular program you will barely be getting an education. The kids simply do not care about their education and its quite sad. And when you have students that don't care, you have teachers that don't care. So, if you are thinking about going to Atlantic, go into the IB program. The program is super rigorous(there's not one day a week I don't have homework.) But, you shouldn't let that scare you away, because it all WILL pay off at the end. Also, you don't have to be the smartest to be in the IB program, you just have to be determined and be able to keep up with all the work. Hope this helps :) And to the comment below, the school is not "badly run" nor is it "hugely disappointing." They drop students whose grades are bad, not because the department wants to keep their average, but because there is no room in the program for students who aren't willing to put in the work.

Posted June 22, 2014
This school is hugely disappointing. The I.B. program is badly run. Trying to get feedback from the head of I.B., David Youngman, is virtually impossible. The while set-up is very unprofessional. About 50 per cent of the teaching staff are good, but the others really appear to have very little interest in the students and are just going through the motions. Edline often doesn't get updated for weeks and then is littered with mistakes. Some teachers forget to include marks or update grades...and need constant prompting. There is an epidemic of apathy. As many as 25 percent of students seemingly don't hand in work, but staff seem interested in motivating them. They simply cut the students whose grades drop...because they are desperate to keep up the department's average score. DO NOT SEND YOUR CHILD HERE!

Posted May 11, 2013
I was in IB freshman year at Atlantic High, and it was honestly one of the BEST experiences of my life. Even though it is a rigorous program IB honestly shaped me to be organized and open-minded. Besides that in the program, other students took it as a joke, not really appreciating the opportunity. Overall as a school, Atlantic IS a WONDERFUL school, of school spirit, everyone is friendly and kind even if you come from a different background. The school is VERY involved with the students progress, which is one thing I loved the most, it makes you feel as if someone genuinely cared about your education. Yes it might be located in the heart of Delray, but that is the beauty of it, you get students from everywhere with their own story and their goals in life differ from one another, tat was one things i valued most.

Posted March 08, 2013
As a regular and honors student at Atlantic High School and NOT in IB, I can tell you without a problem that this school is a joke. In regards to teachers, many lack the desire to even teach their students anymore. THe guidence department is horrendous, seeing as though only one of the two counselors for seniors really seems to care. The students lack motivation and school spirit, and basically spent the majority of their time tring to figure out how to escape the hell hole we are forced to attend. The school is always trashed with garbage from lunches and breakfasts and there are fights atleast twice a week. I hope you really think twice about sending your child here, unless they are in IB. If you are in IB, you are basically not even a part of our school. You are treated with the respect we all should recieve and have a better chance at being successful in life.

Posted February 10, 2013
This school is the epitome of life. I am a white Freshman at this school and enrolled in the Honors program, it is a complete joke. I have learned NOTHING this year; the only thing ive learned is how to watch my back. I am primarily singled out due to my skin color and referred to by many slang racist terms. Since I have gone to this school I have been depressed, angry, and mentally distraught. The staff and teachers are racist too. Teachers curve grades my insane amounts to cover their jobs, I feel since I go here I have no future. The choice programs are not what they seem to be either. IB is your only hope if you want to get into college coming from this school. If you have any consideration for your son or daughter don t send them here. This has been the worst year of my life..

Posted February 06, 2013
As a white freshman in the regular program at this school, it's absolutely horrible. The teachers don't teach anything and the classes are out of control. The students are even worse. There's fights weekly and students getting kicked out of class every period. It's also a very poor school that charges way to much money for school things. $25-$35 for a homecoming ticket? $80 for a black and white yearbook? This is a terrible school and I wouldn't recommend it to anyone looking into going into the regular or honors program. The IB side of the school is great, it's where all the normal, non-ghetto people are. But the IB also has lots of notes, tests, and is very stressful I've heard. I'm switching to Boca High in a few months. The students are racist here and will bully you if you're white, have glasses, or braces. Pathetic. The principle is great though! PS. -Some of the teachers are good. Most just sit in their desk and let the class socialize with each other for the entire period -The lunch lines are outrageously long -Many of the bus drivers barley speak a word of English -Most of the students try to be "cool" by sagging their pants, not doing work, talking back, and swearing.

Posted January 14, 2013
My grand daughter is in the ROTC program at Atlantic and it has a team building atmosphere - As far as interaction with teachers and guidance staff, they have been quick to respond and great to work with. Very disappointed that the Glee Club has been disbanded, as that was a positive experience for many, again, creating a team building spirit. Let's get the Glee Club back on track.

Atlantic High School
2455 West Atlantic Avenue, Delray Beach, FL  33445
Last modified Atlantic High School is a Public school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 7 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Atlantic High School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 57 reviews. Top