Plumosa School Of The Arts

Public | K-5 | 590 students

Posted September 27, 2010

I moved my two kids who tested "gifted" from a so called 'A' rated School in palm beach county to Plumosa. They are both in the Dual language side of the school. The teachers actually care... something I could not get at the other 'more affluent' school. Best thing we did as parents for our kids. Their rating is not reflective of the teachers or staff and there ability to get kids to engage in learning.

Posted April 2, 2010

I took my child out of a local private school and put him in Plumosa last year. It was an excellent decision. He loved the school, and he excelled. His teachers were kind and exciting. The change in his outlook and confidence was like night and day after he started at Plumosa. This school's poor rating really needs to be re-evaluated.

Posted March 4, 2010

My child is in K, enrolled in the dual language program and caucasian. After reading the 'statistics' of the school I have to admit I was nervous. The school doesn't have the best rating, is butted up to a not so great neighborhood and is old. I visited many times before making my decision and chatted with several teachers, faculty and parents. Now more than 1/2 way thru the 1st year I am certain we made the right decision! Her dual language program is incredible and she loves it! Education thru the 'School of the Arts' is such a fun way to learn and keeps her so involved. The teachers care about us as people not just numbers. It is important for all parents to know it is not the schools 100% responsibility to teach our children. Get involved and both your children and the school will benefit! We love Plumosa!

Posted October 5, 2009

I have been the school nurse at Plumosa for the past 11 years. It is the best little school in Delray Beach, Florida. It is a small school with a family feel. And now that we are a school of the arts the children are exposed to even more wonderful activities and events.The staff really acts as surrogate parents providing that extra special feeling and caring to the children. This school should definitely be recognized for everything they accomplish.

Posted October 5, 2009

The best art and dual language program in Palm Beach County!

Posted October 5, 2009

I have been very impressed with all aspects of Plumosa since my child's first day of kindergarten this year. Both the Spanish/English dual language teachers have been outstanding! I an provided with DAILY updates to my child's progress not only by the material that is sent home everyday but through evident progress in our homework sessions each night. I'd have placed 5 stars but due to the age of the building they''ll just have to wait to the new campus opens next year and I'll be glad to credit them with the highest rating I can provide. Great school!

Posted October 5, 2009

Plumosa School of the Arts is the best kept secret in Palm Beach County. I love the opportunity the Choice Program offers as well as the diversity of the student population and the community that supports it. With 12 arts teachers and the dual language program our kids are exposed to more left/right brain creativity than gifted programs I have seen. The 2009/10 School year is already on track for academic excellence. Way to go teachers!

Posted October 5, 2009

My friends thought I was crazy to send my daughter to Plumosa's Choice Program. Now they are jealous because they have to apply for the lottery and hope to get in. The teachers are awesome. You can tell they love the kids and are committed to giving them the opportunities a good education has to offer. We are quite happy!

Posted October 5, 2009

We love our school because it is small, everyone knows everyone. The teachers are wonderful with the children and our son would never want to miss a day. We are grateful that our school offers an extensive Arts program in addition to the normal schooling. This has stimulated a sense of achievement and self confidence in our child. Thanks Plumosa and thanks teachers !

Posted October 5, 2009

nicest school , great teachers, clean , always clean and extraordinary development envoirments for children Ed

Posted October 5, 2009

Great art program with a wonderful multicultural group

Posted September 27, 2009

this is a great school my daughter always got picked on at trinity lutheran school and now that she goes to plumosa everyone is so sweet and loving i love this school and so should you

Posted March 25, 2009

My daughter started school this year at Plumosa School of the Arts. I was hesitant because of the population, but the dual language kindergarten teachers are outstanding! I am also very impressed with the arts program. My daughter goes to dance, art, and chorus weekly. The administration is very accommodating and helpful, but the office staff is a bit rude. I would whole-heartedly recommend this school to any one who is interested in the dual language Spanish program.

Posted October 3, 2008

My kid started this year at Plumosa, and I have to admit that this school went beyond my expectations. Some of the staff is very incompetent, don't know what they're doing..but teachers are great...The dual program is very good... I'm amazed to see how quick my child is learning. and how much attention she gets from her teachers.so far so good.

Posted June 11, 2008

the school has very little control over the students. discipline is awful! Everytime i have come in to see the Principal she is never there and am forced to get answers from a very incompentent office staff. Seems so unorganized and nobody knows nothing. Frustrating place to go to. My son seemed to like his teacher but the other students bully him and there is nothing ever done to help him. Asistnat principal never called my back. Looking to transfer out of the school, even if it means moving. Do not send your child here until there is a new administation that knows what is going on

Posted June 8, 2007

This school has some challenges however the teachers are very good. They are well-trained and highly skilled. The new principal is a caring person who has won the respect of the teachers and who is constantly making great improvements to the school. Teachers now have support from administration with concerns to discipline issues in the classroom (with the old principal they they did not). I'm sure you will see many improvements in the future. As for programs, the school already has a great Dual Language Program and when the new school is built in two years, it will be a magnet school of the arts. In case you would like to know--I am a teacher not a parent. I also can tell you that school grades are not everything. I worked for many years in an A school--Plumosa is better .
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 30, 2005

The facility is outdated and my daughter's experience here was mediocre at best. Her teacher was apathetic, but the gifted half-day program was very good.

Posted March 2, 2005

I am aware that the school is located in a low income neighborhood. I currently live in the state of Texas and my niece who lived here in Texas for several months now unfortunately attends Plumosa Elementary. At Plumosa she discovered that the kids in her grade were far behind in their learning. I am concerned about the kids foul language and fighting that goes on. Nothing is done other else than a 'serious talk'. My niece now talks like she grew up in the ghetto which she did not. She is terrified b/c nothing is done whenever someone tries to fight her. Which at that age, it should not be occuring. Please make the addition of bettering this situation. If it is to occur again then I will make sure the school is broadcasted on TV, and notified, for having a lack of responsibility on all students.

Posted August 19, 2004

This school was highly disappointing overall! The principal was one of the most unhelpful that I have ever come across, my son had personal problems last year and after trying to discuss these issues on numerous occassions with his teachers, school counselor & principal we were made empty promises that were never fulfilled. My son was also assaulted by another child & nothing was ever done about it. I had a therapist come to the school with me to try to discuss my son's education & wellbeing with all personel involved with him & was advised by her to just try to get through to the end of the year & search for another school for 2004-2005, she had never met such unhelpful school personal before. If your child does not fit into the right mold of a good student with no problems, he won't get help here.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

122 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

122 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

88 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "C".

Ethnicity This school

• MS. CATHERINE REYNOLDS
Fax number
  • (561) 330-3950

Extra learning resources offered
  • Title I Schoolwide program (SWP)

Apply now