Delray Beach, FL

S. D. Spady Elementary School 2

Posted March 11, 2015
Before writing this review I asked myself: Is it true? Is it kind? is it necessary? A review is subjective but my intent was to be truthful and give necessary advice to perspective parents. Spady is not the school program it pretends to be. If you are looking for Montessori (even at the Early Childhood level) this isn't it. Visit your homeschool, sit in on their classes, talk to your neighbors. Spady is a regular public school and if you are coming from Lake Worth, like me, it isn't worth the drive. Most teachers aren't Montessori trained, the principal isn't trained, and the district/state just care about tests and CC. You can get that at your regular school. Spady teachers are great, but there are great teachers at every school. Do yourself a favor and consider other options.

S. D. Spady Elementary School 2

Posted March 11, 2015
S.D. Spady used to be a great school but the current administrators are not Montessori trained or certified and are hardly advocates of the philosophy. The new state standards have been allowed to tear this program apart and for a very involved parent population at the school, we're hardly "in the know" due to transparency and inclusion issues with the admin. There are great teachers but most are burnt out and others are tired of the fight against leadership and departing in flocks...The same for parents and students who see what's going on. It's a real shame that potentially new parents and students are being manipulatively "sold a bill of goods" about the Montessori program that is being stripped away consistently in any way that is true to its foundation. Unless you're just looking for free public daycare for your Pre-K students and don't care about whether they're following the Montessori philosophies, develop a relationship with your home school and give them a try. I highly doubt you'll regret it.

Posted August 14, 2014
I attended this svhool from 2001-2006 and still to this day my experiences and memories at spady are still with me today. I have kept the same friends that I met at this school and went to 2 other elementary schools before. Hands down the best.

Posted March 03, 2014
I dont care what any body say but this is the best school in the world dont listen to no body come to this school please best school in america learn things really fast

Posted January 27, 2014
I've been a parent at S.D. Spady for 3 years now and we have been generally very happy. I have two daughters there, one in K and one in Pre-K3. They are always happy to go to school, they are happy to see their teachers and they seem to be learning at a very fast pace. Where I think it gets complicated is on the parent involvement side. Since this is a choice program, you get a mixed bag of families. Some are very involved, some never even read their children's homework folder. If we could improve parent involvement I think Spady would be a 10/10, no questions. The more involved I am, the better education I feel my daughters get. The teachers give me personalized comments on my daughters' progress, every time I've been in the classroom (and this year only I've already logged over 20 hours of volunteering and I work full time) I've been really pleased with the work my children are doing, with the Montessori material and with the sense of closed community Spady gives us. I think in this world you get what you put in, too many people complain without investing the appropriate amount of time. Not saying the school is perfect, it is not, but we the parents are not perfect either.

S. D. Spady Elementary School 3

Posted January 26, 2014
S.D. Spady was a great school for my oldest daughter who is now in eighth grade. She loved it there. However when she left after 5th grade, everything seemed to go downhill. My younger daughter hated it there. Her teacher wasn't teaching her anything because she was too busy moaning about her personal life, the ex-principal was making it seem like a jail, (at recess the students couldn't go past the playground, you weren't allowed to play basketball, kickball, baseball, or any sport at P.E. and more) and the ex-principal also didn't listen to any parent's opinions. For example when they transferred my daughter out of her class, she was very upset and when I went to the principal she said there's nothing she can do about it and your child should grow up. You don't say that about a young girl. S.D. Spady is spiraling out of control; and not to mention that it isn't in a very safe neighborhood either, my eldest daughter claimed to witness a house go down in flames next door.

Posted July 17, 2013
Just finished our first year at Spady, and it was better than I had hoped for. My son loved his teacher (Ms. Franko), and he feels like Spady is his home. I was impressed with the school culture, the academics, and the family involvement. Looking forward to another great year.

Posted May 17, 2013
As a mother of four children the most important aspect is to feel that my children are safe and well cared for at the school environment I as a parent chose for them,The reason why this is true for Spady is because I feel heard and understood. It does not matter what the issue or the problem was I always felt someone had time for me and I always left the meeting feeling understood and confident that I made the right choice in putting my children in this school.

Posted April 12, 2013
I can tell you as a parent & the PTA president of Spady our school is not always perfect but what school is? But ,what I do know for sure is our Spady community of teachers, staff and parents are that of a loving, caring & accepting community that I am honored to be a part of. We are all human beings & sometimes do not get things right but just like any parent or person we are striving to do our best each day. Here in SoFL where there are so many cultures & it is very diverse, it is nice to find a small community of people who truly care about each other & their school. We are blessed to have been at Spady since K and as we move on next year I can say being at Spady was where we were meant to be. Kimmy Cooper, Proud Parent of Spady

Posted April 10, 2013
Sigh. Thank you for looking into this school. It is a sign that you are a conscientious parent trying to figure out what the best scenario is for your child's education. I commend you on your efforts. BUT the best way to learn about a school is to VISIT it and get opinions from people you KNOW AND TRUST. Online reviews either come from people who are ecstatic about their choice or people who are bitter. You will most likely not get a balanced, fair review. Is Spady the epitome of Montessori? No. It is a public school that has to meet Statewide standards that are constantly in flux. Are all teachers at ANY school perfect? NO. Is there a school that exists that doesn't have children with social development issues, problems at home, learning disabilities? NO. No school...NO SCHOOL... is perfect, and no school is perfect for EVERY child. Best of luck to you in your search. For me, for now, I love Spady and so do my children.

S. D. Spady Elementary School
901 Northwest 3rd Street, Delray Beach, FL  33444
Last modified S. D. Spady Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-6. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
S. D. Spady Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 43 reviews. Top