Delray Beach, FL

Posted August 27, 2014
First, this is my opinion which I am entitled to since it is a free country we live in and there is something called "freedom of speech." I send my child to this school and not the home school because I am choosing the "lesser of the evils." I have the right to send my child here because I pay high taxes and this is a choice school. With that said there is always room for improvement. Less teaching to the test and more teaching children in order for them to think, reason, and make good decisions is one of the improvements that would be a good one for not just this school but schools in general. Next, this school has too many students. A smaller school with smaller class sizes would be an improvement. Other parents that handle the opinions of other parents that differ from them in a mature and respectful manner would be another improvement. I think that school is better than a number of other schools but that is not saying too much. The parents that like to keep the same thing going without improvement are not progressive. Instead of attacking someone else why not put that energy into improvement. Also, research studies say homework in elementary school has no value.

Posted February 17, 2014
Morikami Elementary was described to me as a place everyone wants to be: the teachers and faculty, the students and parents. I have absolutely found this to be the case. This is my family's fourth year at Morikami. We are extremely satisfied here. My son tested gifted but on some good advice, we felt it important to attend to help him be well rounded, immersed in the IB program and to experience all we could here. We have never looked back. As we prepare now for the FCAT for my oldest, of course there is talk about "teaching to the test" but guess what? The information is real life and an important component of learning: math, reading and reading comprehension with writing. I'm OK with that! My second child is an average student but struggled with reading and her teacher addressed where we were, where we needed to be and put a plan in place to achieve it. And she is doing it. I am thankful for my children's learning, experiences, friends, their teachers, and they are safe and happy every day. Further, I am very impressed with the level of parent involvement. . People are happy and proud to be here. Apply if you can, take it if you get it.

Posted September 21, 2013
I hate how parents are saying they hate the school, it's in my opinion totally rude to put it on the internet!!! Just take your students out of the CHOICE program you put them in and try a different school!!! Now, in my opinion, I loved morikami!!! I am now in 7th grade, but I went to morikami from Kindergarten all the way to 5th grade! I loved all ofmy teachers! Esspecially Ms. Sanford when I had her in 3rd grade!!! She was the BEST!! & all my teachers taught me everything I needed to know for middle school!! When I was in 6th grade, all my teachers were surprised with what I knew! While other kids didn't know how to do anything!!!!! So I rate this school a 5 with all my heart!

Posted September 21, 2013
For those parents complaining about the school, remember that this school is a CHOICE school. You made the choice to be there. You are more than welcome to leave the school and go to your home school.

Posted September 10, 2013
The review below saying they declined a child with ASD sounds like bologna. I have a child on the spectrum there and he has all the necessary accommodations to ensure he does well. I know there are several children on the spectrum there. However, depending on how severe your child's condition is, this may not be the best school for him or her because it is a very fast paced and demanding school. It is a public school, it is indeed a lottery program. I knew nobody at that school when we got in and I don't socialize much with anyone there. I applied via the choice program online and yes, it is hard to get in because hundreds of families apply. The teachers are very caring, as is the entire administration. I appreciate that the staff communicates with me frequently and via any and all means necessary (text, emails, calls).

Posted September 03, 2013
This school is very clicky- the parents not the students. It's rediculous, if you don't have the time to volunteer like every day and brown nose the teachers and admin then you don't belong here. They made me decline my entrance for my ASD child because THEY don't take THOSE certain TYPE of kids. Is it really they can't accommodate or they're just to lazy with pre-conceived notions of discrimination. They didn't even give my Aspergers child a chance. Shameful... I was in tears, so now I have two kids at two different schools. The IB program is great and impressive. You have to work hard or you don't make it. It shows that they only want the cream of crop at this school.

Posted August 23, 2013
This school is for people that have friends in the district so that they can get into the so called "lottery." It is for those parents that are too cheap to pay for or can't afford private school. They use standard textbooks just like every other public school even though in the orientation the principal will say they don't use standard textbooks. They don't use standard tear out workbooks pages either but they are just computer generated workbook pages. Parents are involved but I think it is to the point of being overinvolved at times. Some teachers are nice and some are downright nasty just like at any other school. I just don't see all the "bragging" points that this school is promoted upon. It is a newer school and ok inside. Good test scores but if you pick and choose students that is not a shock. I am just not impressed. School is average overall. You can find the same thing at many schools. It just depends upon your location. I see why Florida has such a large amount of homeschoolers.

Posted August 14, 2013
We are very happy to be at Morikami Park. The fact that the school is part of the IB foundation is great, as it ensures that the education provided meets international standards. The 2 languages (Spanish and Mandarin) are a great opportunity for my child to learn. Our kindergarten teacher was wonderful and my child ended the year reading, writing, adding and subtracting. The parents I have met have been great, as have been the kids. I am looking forward to more years at Morikami!

Morikami Park Elementary School 4

Posted June 05, 2013
i am a 5th grader moving out next year. Morikami park is probably the best school in the state. the teachers are phenomenal!!! i love the playground and the space outside. there are tons of super nice kids to befriend and always the very lovely guidance counsoler to speak with if you need help with things.everything is great except the after care. "saac" (abbrieviation) is not something to enroll your child in. first of all there is the excrusiating noise in the cafeteria. also if you dont bring a book to read and you finish your homework they literaly PUNISH you with note home!! and when we go outside they seriously only let you go 100 feet away from the counsoler. the after care staff always goes where the boys want to go and us poor girls have to sit out in the hot sun doing nothing while sweaty boys jump around play basket ball and have fun. oh and dont forget when they "accidently" drop the ball on your head. i dislike the aftercare only but everything else is fine :)

Posted April 08, 2013
Have children in 5th grade and 3rd grade. Both children started in K. MPES is AMAZING!!! The teachers are caring, responsive and respectful to parents and students. The PTA is amazing. I wish MPES went through to 8th grade. My son is going into 6th grade after this year and I am sad he has to leave. If you are able to get in.....DO NOT DECLINE.

Morikami Park Elementary School
6201 Morikami Park Road, Delray Beach, FL  33484
Last modified Morikami Park Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Morikami Park Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 81 reviews. Top