Delray Beach, FL

Morikami Park Elementary School 3

Posted June 14, 2015
Teaching is very test oriented. Lot of distracting, unnecessary events. Misleading fame. Needs some update. Special language program is not a favorite.

Posted June 10, 2015
I love Morikami! My daughter just completed her first year in Kindergarten there and it was a great year for her academically. She is reading and writing beautifully, was challenged academically, had plenty of opportunities for involvement in extra-curricular activities and most importantly she is enjoying herself. I felt the teachers were very caring, and she had a great first year. They are strict - their tardy policy is a little extreme if you ask me - but I understand it's all toward the end of teaching the kids responsibility. There is a decent amount of homework nightly, but again, I'm pleased my daughter is being challenged. I think by the end of her time at Morikami she will be well-prepared for whatever middle school we put her in. Overall, we are blessed to have had the opportunity to have her attend this Blue Ribbon winner school!

Posted August 27, 2014
First, this is my opinion which I am entitled to since it is a free country we live in and there is something called "freedom of speech." I send my child to this school and not the home school because I am choosing the "lesser of the evils." I have the right to send my child here because I pay high taxes and this is a choice school. With that said there is always room for improvement. Less teaching to the test and more teaching children in order for them to think, reason, and make good decisions is one of the improvements that would be a good one for not just this school but schools in general. Next, this school has too many students. A smaller school with smaller class sizes would be an improvement. Other parents that handle the opinions of other parents that differ from them in a mature and respectful manner would be another improvement. I think that school is better than a number of other schools but that is not saying too much. The parents that like to keep the same thing going without improvement are not progressive. Instead of attacking someone else why not put that energy into improvement. Also, research studies say homework in elementary school has no value.

Posted February 17, 2014
Morikami Elementary was described to me as a place everyone wants to be: the teachers and faculty, the students and parents. I have absolutely found this to be the case. This is my family's fourth year at Morikami. We are extremely satisfied here. My son tested gifted but on some good advice, we felt it important to attend to help him be well rounded, immersed in the IB program and to experience all we could here. We have never looked back. As we prepare now for the FCAT for my oldest, of course there is talk about "teaching to the test" but guess what? The information is real life and an important component of learning: math, reading and reading comprehension with writing. I'm OK with that! My second child is an average student but struggled with reading and her teacher addressed where we were, where we needed to be and put a plan in place to achieve it. And she is doing it. I am thankful for my children's learning, experiences, friends, their teachers, and they are safe and happy every day. Further, I am very impressed with the level of parent involvement. . People are happy and proud to be here. Apply if you can, take it if you get it.

Posted September 21, 2013
I hate how parents are saying they hate the school, it's in my opinion totally rude to put it on the internet!!! Just take your students out of the CHOICE program you put them in and try a different school!!! Now, in my opinion, I loved morikami!!! I am now in 7th grade, but I went to morikami from Kindergarten all the way to 5th grade! I loved all ofmy teachers! Esspecially Ms. Sanford when I had her in 3rd grade!!! She was the BEST!! & all my teachers taught me everything I needed to know for middle school!! When I was in 6th grade, all my teachers were surprised with what I knew! While other kids didn't know how to do anything!!!!! So I rate this school a 5 with all my heart!

Posted September 21, 2013
For those parents complaining about the school, remember that this school is a CHOICE school. You made the choice to be there. You are more than welcome to leave the school and go to your home school.

Posted September 10, 2013
The review below saying they declined a child with ASD sounds like bologna. I have a child on the spectrum there and he has all the necessary accommodations to ensure he does well. I know there are several children on the spectrum there. However, depending on how severe your child's condition is, this may not be the best school for him or her because it is a very fast paced and demanding school. It is a public school, it is indeed a lottery program. I knew nobody at that school when we got in and I don't socialize much with anyone there. I applied via the choice program online and yes, it is hard to get in because hundreds of families apply. The teachers are very caring, as is the entire administration. I appreciate that the staff communicates with me frequently and via any and all means necessary (text, emails, calls).

Posted September 03, 2013
This school is very clicky- the parents not the students. It's rediculous, if you don't have the time to volunteer like every day and brown nose the teachers and admin then you don't belong here. They made me decline my entrance for my ASD child because THEY don't take THOSE certain TYPE of kids. Is it really they can't accommodate or they're just to lazy with pre-conceived notions of discrimination. They didn't even give my Aspergers child a chance. Shameful... I was in tears, so now I have two kids at two different schools. The IB program is great and impressive. You have to work hard or you don't make it. It shows that they only want the cream of crop at this school.

Posted August 23, 2013
This school is for people that have friends in the district so that they can get into the so called "lottery." It is for those parents that are too cheap to pay for or can't afford private school. They use standard textbooks just like every other public school even though in the orientation the principal will say they don't use standard textbooks. They don't use standard tear out workbooks pages either but they are just computer generated workbook pages. Parents are involved but I think it is to the point of being overinvolved at times. Some teachers are nice and some are downright nasty just like at any other school. I just don't see all the "bragging" points that this school is promoted upon. It is a newer school and ok inside. Good test scores but if you pick and choose students that is not a shock. I am just not impressed. School is average overall. You can find the same thing at many schools. It just depends upon your location. I see why Florida has such a large amount of homeschoolers.

Posted August 14, 2013
We are very happy to be at Morikami Park. The fact that the school is part of the IB foundation is great, as it ensures that the education provided meets international standards. The 2 languages (Spanish and Mandarin) are a great opportunity for my child to learn. Our kindergarten teacher was wonderful and my child ended the year reading, writing, adding and subtracting. The parents I have met have been great, as have been the kids. I am looking forward to more years at Morikami!

Morikami Park Elementary School
6201 Morikami Park Road, Delray Beach, FL  33484
Last modified Morikami Park Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 10 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Morikami Park Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 91 reviews. Top