No rating

Unity School

Private | PK-8 | 322 students

We are best known for peace education & arts program.

Living in Delray Beach

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $115,800. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $1,140.

Posted August 1, 2014

My daughter is about to complete her 4th year here. It will be her last because she's in 8th now. I always re-evaluate and reflect upon our experience before the coming year to make sure we will continue. We've been to several schools (private, parochial, gifted programs, Montessori) and been disappointed by all of them. However, Unity is a school where the academics, extra-curriculars, electives and social aspects are all excellent. My daughter has been very happy and I really wish we had started out here. I enjoy the community here and the families are all nice and we are always trying to become better people. This is what I've actually liked best about it - the culture of growth and awareness. They are even open to parents coming in and teaching elective classes in subjects that they are passionate and trained to teach. This year we are welcoming a fantastic new head of school and assistant head of school. I only wish we could stay past 8th grade. If you're a parent who won't settle for anything but the best and really wants to be involved in a school, I think Unity will be a wonderful place for you.

Posted June 21, 2014

My son just completed his first year at Unity in the toddler class. He started out with 2 days a week, and by the end of the year he was going 5 days a week and staying a full day most days. He loved going to school. The teachers Miss Claudia, Laura and Evelyn were so sweet, patient and experienced. The office staff is very efficient and organized. I cannot imagine sending my son to any other school.

Posted May 20, 2014

I completely disagree with the cliques comment. My family started at Unity two years ago after we moved and were new to the area. Everyone from the secretary to gym coach to head of school to teachers were so welcoming. Being new, we were assigned a family ambassador who called before school started to introduce herself and guided us through all questions. Everyone was more than friendly. I love talking to other parents at drop off and pick up and meeting them at school events. There is a wide variety of wealth at the school, from the uber rich to parents scraping to get buy but who know Unity is worth the financial sacrifice they may make. At the end of the day, there is no better feeling than knowing your child is safe, secure and thriving at school.

Posted April 30, 2014

Unity School made a name for itself in Palm Beach County. Its dedication to excellence in teaching is evident by the success its graduates experience. The students achievements are distinctive in all aspects including academics, athletics, creativity, and personal growth. The friendly, family-like atmosphere of the school, facilitated by the administration and teachers, established a continuity among its students and staff that is well recognized and admired. The school is committed not only to its students, but also to its core beliefs encompassing the community and self by encouraging the students to reach out in service to the community to those in need, from people to the environment. One cannot go wrong in visiting this school. It is the perfect place to teach a child.
—Submitted by a teacher

Posted April 17, 2014

The school talks a lot about being a community, a family. While I have seen this in some cases if you are not apart of that group you are an outsider. The school is very cliquey and mothers can be very unfriendly. The children recite their daily peace prayer to reaffirm that message. Unfortunately I think the peace prayer is just a mantra that is recited by students and parents. There are lots of people reciting the words but not living by them. I was surprised at how common it was to say hello to people and not receive a response in return. Grown adults who cannot display common courtesy or basic social skills is all to common at Unity. When you walk through the halls you can see who is connected and who is not. You can also tell who's been there for a long time, who volunteers the most and certainly who donates.

Posted March 5, 2013

Elementary is OK. Middle school is very weak, curriculum and methods of teaching are behind the times. Claim to have ipads for every student in middle, but the teachers don't use them in class, no books are available on them, big PR stunt.... Some middle school teachers are just plain mean. Overall school leadership is very, very weak, totally focused on money and getting donations, any parent giving in addition to the $16K+ per year, is idolized, their kids are given preferential treatment. No understanding of difference between boys and girls in terms of energy levels, boys are expected to behave like girls. Plenty of money in the school but they seem to scrip on every item, one wonders where the money goes from the constant fund raising.

Posted February 27, 2013

Unity School is completely biased to the children who's parents have donated the most money. All teachers will treat kids differently if they know the child is popular with parents and other students. If you donate money to the school, you will not be punished WHAT-SO-EVER. I have been at Unity School for 11 years, and since 3rd grade I have been bullied, and not be treated fairly. I cannot wait to be out of Unity School.

Posted December 7, 2012

Our experience at Unity has been an exceptional one. While we understand that no one school is a perfect fit for every one, Unity goes the extra mile to maintain a balance of structure and harmony at all times. The administration is receptive to issues bound to arise and we appreciate their open door policy. We have been impressed with the academics, the enrichment classes and the families that attend the school. We know of no other place quite like Unity and feel fortunate to have found and made it our school of choice. We highly recommend Unity to anyone seeking a great education blanketed in a nurturing environment for their children.

Posted June 20, 2012

Everything there is average. It is safe. Some things need to be improved. There is a gossip problem.

Posted June 19, 2012

We have been very impressed by the quality of education and teachers at Unity. It's a fantastic environment for our family. The teachers and administrators are very accessible, which has let us be involved and connected. And many more special things make it worth it to us!... violin lessons in music class, wellness program for healthy lunch and snacks, physical education in gymnasium, and enrichments like golf and chess ... We are very happy Unity parents.

Posted June 6, 2012

Unity School has changed. The text books are out dated. The school is extremely clicky and if the parent or the child does not make the cut into the click then the rest of the year will be very difficult. The school is run by the parents not the administration. They have lost site about what is important for your child. Everything about Unity is how much money you will give to the school. HOW YOUR CHILD IS TREATED DEPENDS ON THE PARENT'S FINANCIAL DONATIONS TO THE SCHOOL. Unity school has a big problem with Bully situations of which they address only after the situation has gotten so bad...your child does not want to go to school. Unity does not have the proper guidelines and procedures set in place. When a parent pays $16,0000 + dollars for their child to go to school, they expect a sence of excellence. You will not find it at this private school.

Posted April 30, 2012

We started Unity at the pre-K level for the Montessori teaching and unique family environment. Our son is now in 1st grade and is excelling beyond our belief in all aspects of academics, participating in violin, chess, arts, sports, and reading at a 3rd grade level. The lessons in living programs places Unity School in a different league than a typical private school, as the program teaches the children about kindness, conflict resolution, peace and emotional development. The school has Green qualifications, a healthy food policy and a tree-to-table program complete with on-site gardening to educate the children on a full range of nutrition. Above all, the warmth and exceptional display of parental involvement says it all, and is what makes this school so special. There is a sponsor family in place for every new family, as well as an ambassador child for every new student. We are quite fortunate to be a part of Unity School and the culture it creates and reinforces for our child and for our family.

Posted February 12, 2012

Unity is an amazing school in so many ways. It has an aggressive academic curriculum, an incredible music program, competitive sports, arts and science, and a unique lessons in living program. Each classroom has the latest in technology. In addition to his regular classwork, my first grader is learning spanish, computer programming, violin (mandatory for all 1st graders), guitar, golf, and respect for others. We are so happy here, and would recommend Unity to anyone. Perhaps even more important is the community of parents who are involved in day-to-day activities throughout the school. We truly feel a part of the Unity family.

Posted January 17, 2012

This our 10th year at Unity School and as parents of a 6th grader and a first grader we cannot express enough sincere thanks to this wonderful school. We are so impressed with the teachers and staff who every day deliver exceptional academics along with the special philophy that puts Unity School above the rest. Our family values are reinforced daily at this school which is so important as they spend at least 35 hours a week there. They are provided with amazing opportunities in art, music and physical education. More importantly Unity encourages them to give back to the community and provides them with the tools to do so. While we initially chose Unity because of the benefits it would provide our children, we are constantly amazed at how the whole family has benefitted.

Posted January 16, 2012

We selected Unity school because of the Montesorri preschool. Because of this hands on learning approach our son thrived and grew incedibly in his first year. He was reading level 1 readers and doing simple math and was engaged and excited to learn and do it. Though the school transistions to traditional learning in kindergarten this program springboarded him into the advanced educational program that Unity offers throughout the grades. My son loves all the Unity is and so do I as a parent. The teachers are incredible, intelligent, caring, nurturing, patient, communicative with parents. The schools excellent advanced teaching level paired with the lessons in living program which is unlike anything I've seen and the addition of the arts and sports programs make this hands down the best school around.

Posted January 9, 2012

This is our 4th year at Unity and our daughter is doing very well! She loves going to school every day. We cannot ask for a better academic program. She also has PE every day. The music and art programs are top rated! If you are looking for a good school please take a look at Unity!

Posted February 19, 2010

I have a 4.2 Honors Grade Point Average and I'm a Junior in high school. I spent 13 years at Unity School starting in preschool and i couldn't have had a better education. Plus I played four sports, learned two instruments and made friends that will last all my life. It is really the best education you can imagine. If you want to get ahead in life, ask your parents to send you to Unity School.
—Submitted by a student

Posted February 16, 2010

Unity School provided my children with a strong academic foundation and terrific work habits. I know that because the School is small, their education was able to be tailored to their needs and learning styles. The entire faculty knew them and nutured them. They experienced an amazing art and music program with supurb teachers. Most importantly they learned to be well adjusted kids. The Lessons in Living Department taught them lessons that they will carry with them their entire life. I am blessed to have two wonderful kids and thank Unity School for helping me to raise them. Alumi parent

Posted February 1, 2010

This school is amazing because of its music, math, sports, art, and anything else this school has. I love waking up every morning and coming to see my teachers. I love all the teachers. They are all very nice and know what they are talking about. I really enjoy all of the subjects in school including math. You should send your child or children to school here because they will be ahead when they will be ahead by one grade when they go to high school. I am doing 8th grade math in 6th grade. I think that the band program here is absolutely amazing. In fourth grade I new how to play two instruments. This year I know how to play FIVE instruments. I love the band director he is amazing. If your child is in fourth grade they are required to play an instrument. The spanish and everything else is amazing. The sports program is wonderful we have about 12 banners in our gym and we have plays every year for the drama department. Come here!
—Submitted by a student

Posted January 10, 2010

Our three children learned to play multiple instruments, qualified for the Duke University TIP Program, excelled in sports, learned TV Production, and are proficient in English, Spanish, math and science at least one to two grade levels higher than their friends at other schools. Unity is the best.

Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander 3% 3%

Teacher resources

Foreign languages spoken by school staff French
Spanish
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by a school official.

Awards

Academic awards received in the past 3 years
  • 2010 Palm Beach County Green School of Quality (2010)
  • Duke TIP Students (2010)
  • John Hopkins Talented Youth Search (2010)

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

Clubs

Instructional and/or curriculum models used
  • Accelerated credit learning
  • Gifted / high performing
  • Honors track

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • After school
  • Before school
  • Margo Cohen
Best ways for parents to contact the school
  • Coed
Is there an application process?
Affiliation

• Drama
Media arts
  • Video / Film production

Student clubs

Clubs (distinct from courses)

School culture

Dress Code
  • Uniforms
More from this school
  • Unity School is a private, non-profit, non-denominational, accredited day school serving children two years old through eighth grade in Delray Beach, Florida. Education at Unity School is a process that encompasses all aspects of the child and is based upon the promotion of the individual worth and dignity of each child. Unity School’s innovative approach to this process incorporates brain-based learning, the universal principles, and extensive family and parental involvement on and off campus. The curriculum at Unity School was developed to meet the needs of a child’s growing brain. Our administrators have done significant research on the brain. As a result, the day’s schedule and lessons are based on when children are best able to receive information. “Brain gym” and “heart math” are used to ensure a positive connection between the brain, body and spirit. The nutritional program is centered on what a child needs to maintain healthy brain functions and supports activities like music, athletics and art, which are intentionally introduced at varying ages to maximize the child’s benefit. Programs Include: - Montessori Toddler (2 yrs), Orientation (2 ½ yrs) and Preschool (3 - 4 yrs) Classrooms - Traditional Progressive Elementary and Middle Schools - Early Morning and Extended Day Care - School Wide Wellness Policy - Spanish Instruction in Preschool – 8th Grade - Lessons in Living, an award-winning peace and character education program - Art Instruction across all grades including two annual exhibitions - A Comprehensive Music Program consisting of 1st and 2nd Gr Violins and Piano, 3rd Gr Recorders, 4th – 8th Grade Performance Band, Middle School Jazz Band, Middle School Strings Ensemble, Handbell and Handchime Choir, Elementary and Middle School Choruses and General Music Instruction for all grades. - A Successful Physical Education and Competitive Athletics Program grounded in health, wellness and the value of teamwork. - More than 30 Middle School Electives including Advanced Art, Drama, Web Design, TV Production, Graphic Design, Junior Achievement and Robotics. Independent research studies show that building parental involvement in education is the number one factor in creating a great school and improving student performance. Unity School provides a wealth of opportunities for parents and families to be involved in their child(ren)’s education from volunteering in the classroom to supporting the school’s calendar of events. Our greatest asset is the dedication and involvement of our parents. Unity School, the little school with big spirit!

Apply now