Public charter
Doral, FL
Students enrolled: 1,390

Posted August 03, 2015
I have had a variety of interactions at this school, only excluding being a student. I am a friend of students, a friend of faculty, and have subbed a few times. I passed through the public school system in Dade County. There are a few general things to consider about schools: 1. The student's level of academic involvement affects what teachers they receive. Example: taking an AP course makes it more likely that the student interacts with a higher quality teacher. 2. Most teachers in all schools are jaded, but an enthused student that really wants to learn can motivate a capable teacher to at least give what they can offer to that kid. Now let me talk about the experience I have had with the school: This school has one of the best advanced math programs in the country. There a numerous teachers of a caliber you can not understand. Some of them show up a full hour early, teaching optional classes or offering their time to assist any student that asks. They stay at school some times for 3 hours after the bell rings to perform these same services. They leave school only to continue talking about their students with each other and their plans for the kids to guarantee their success. The school ranked 10th last year in the national Mu Alpha Theta math competition, competing against plenty of private schools and math magnets. This year there were two seventh graders that made scores in the 700s on the math SAT (a test for highschool seniors that has a max score of 800). These teachers rarely miss a day, and when they do they make sure they get a sub that knows the material and will teach. Not all math teachers are a part of this mission, and not all math students WILL benefit from it, but any student that wants to improve or excel in math will have a variety of quality resources to accomplish that. If you believe that math is one of the most important parts of educating a student to become an adult that learns quickly and makes decisions based on logical thought and probability, there is no better place in the county for that to occur than at Doral Academy.

Posted May 21, 2015
I cannot begin to describe how I feel about this school. I was very optimistic when I enrolled my children here but after the first month I withdrew my son (7th grade) and my daughter (6th grade) has finished the school year there but not without some serious headaches. Let me give 2 examples of the things that I encountered with my daughter being there this year. There was a Science test assigned for Monday. On the portal where the children retrieve their Homework, it showed the Science test to be on Tuesday. When she got to class on Monday the teacher gave the test (even though she would be giving the test for 2 more days). When kids in the class said that online it said the test was Tuesday, the teacher responded, well I said on Friday it would be today and proceeded to give them the test & change the online info in the middle of the class period to read test on Monday. When I wrote the Asst. Principal about this, she said let me look into it. ( I am still waiting to hear back) The other example is in History class the children were assigned on a Tuesday, to GOOGLE the answers to 10 influential people of a certain time period, 15 definitions and 15 essay answer questions for a test on Thursday. 2 days! and to GOOGLE information?! Has anyone ever tried to Google the answers to anything? You get 100 different answers and who knows which one is correct!! When I wrote the teacher regarding this, I never received an answer back and the test wasn't given due to "the copier being broken" and the kids were never given the test. I can go on and on with hours and hours of homework. My daughter spending all weekend doing busy work that made no sense, on top of Reading Plus and Carnegie, a math system that is absolutely ridiculous that even her father, a financial analyst, found tedious and pointless. I tell you, maybe in Doral it is the lesser of all the evils but that doesn't mean one has to settle for an education like this or lack there of.

Posted March 05, 2015
My daughters have been with the doral academies since elementary and I am very sad to say the school in the past two years has become a disaster, the majority of the teachers don't teach and don't care, when they are out they bring in substitutes that just sit there and tell the kids they can listen to music, so that becomes another wasted day. the after school activities at the school are no good and usually end up stopping before the school year ends. they used to be an A school and are now a B student, very sad to see this school go down the drain. They are only interested in getting new kids, there performing arts is a joke it is just a extra class in some sort of art but nothing different to the regular school. very sad.

Doral Academy Charter High School 3

Posted March 25, 2014
I'm a current student at Doral Academy and I must say that overall my experience here has been...meh. Over the years the school has been improving but recently I feel like it's lost what it means to be a school. The library was made smaller last year, and in order to stay, you either do 30 volunteer hours or pay $100. Not to mention how the school will often prevent student from going to class's all day for a simple uniform violation as having black and white shoes or shoes with a single white stripe at the sole. Not ideal. Honestly the only thing keeping me here are the multitude of friends I've managed to acquire. The curriculum is also meh. The teachers, at least mine, are alright. Great even. But sadly they don't get to shine as bright because the school is only focused on getting a higher test score on the EOC. If that weren't the main focus, then perhaps learning would be more fun. Ah well. Also, it's incredible how difficult it is for a smaller club at the school to get any recognition or respect. Similar to the real world I guess. If you do go here, you better hope you have some sort of connection or you won't get very far. It's alright but far from great.

Doral Academy Charter High School 4

Posted March 20, 2014
My son doesn't attend the school waiting on raffle to get in but i have freinds that go to the school and i've been their the teachers are great,principal is very respectful and teaching wise it is a very good school my son is looking foward in attending the school

Doral Academy Charter High School 3

Posted March 19, 2014
This is my third year at this school. i can't say its amazing, but is better than average in education. but the teachers.. most don't care, some don't even give you the right material to study, the halls are too small, and the lunch is terrible in my opinion. So i guess you can say it s best for middle school students but high school these days is too important to spend here. I've heard they are trying to become one of the best, but for now its not there yet.

Posted July 11, 2013
I am an ex-student of Doral Academy, I now attend Belen Jesuit, and my god this school is terrible. The curriculum is horrific, most of the teachers don't even speak English. The teachers don't teach they just expect the students to learn, on top of this there is so much favoritism. Overall it is a terrible school and I think of you want a mediocre child, then put him/her in this school, but if you don't then at least put them in Ronald Reagan's Cambridge program.

Posted August 04, 2012
There are a great variety of programs to choose from at this school including the multiple performing arts opportunities (which will then be subdivided into doral academy performing arts and entertainment academy), the scholars program (which is dual enrollment payed for by the school should one qualify), multiple AP class choices (Such as AP Spanish Language and Literature, AP Biology, AP World History, etc.), expanding campus, huge outdoor sport space, and great benefits for students who truly try. Those who graduate saying that they have learned nothing, is because they got through school with no effort and no interest. Doral Academy is a great middle, high, and performing arts school, with a newly constructed and expanding Performing Arts/ College building.

Doral Academy Charter High School 2

Posted September 24, 2011
I have attended this school for a year. To be honest they are very disorganized and the staff regularly disrupts classes.We lose games all the time. The school is really crowded and we shared classes with middle schoolers who are very immature. The good thing is that SOME teachers really do care about our education but that's about it.

Posted August 02, 2011
I have three children, the oldest is graduating this year in 2012. All of them have been in Doral Academy since their 6th grade. The old principal was nice but the new principal is phenomenal. They are a strict school with their uniform policy and their late policy but it definitely appeased the traffic in the morning. I couldn't be happier! My son will now be graduating at the top of his class and he has almost completed his first two years of college with their Scholars program. They love the school and the teachers are marvelous. I've never had a problem with any of them. Administration is also very helpful and communicative. GREAT JOB DORAL!!

Doral Academy Charter High School
11100 Northwest 27th Street, Doral, FL  33172
Last modified Doral Academy Charter High School is a Charter school that serves grades 9-12. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Doral Academy Charter High School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 64 reviews. Top