Doral, FL
Students enrolled: 1,369

John I. Smith K-8 Center 2

Posted April 06, 2015
This is the first and last year of my kids attending this school. The school is predominantly Hispanic;both faculty and staff. My daughters are of color. I have had a terrible, frustrating experience this entire school year and I feel like my 4th grader is not receiving the attention she needs and is being left behind. This teacher has very poor communication, she sends notes and detention slips home every other day for silly things but never any notes for important matters such as failing math grades. It's as if she could care less if my daughter has to repeat 4th grade! Very frustrating school year and I can not wait to get my daughters out of this school for next school year. There's no equal opportunity at all. Also, it seems like my daughters are just bringing new lessons home for me to teach them! I have seriously been considering homeschooling them because if they don't understand a lesson, they don't spend more time with the kids to help them understand. They just move on to the next lesson. I'm spending hours every night teaching my kids at home what they should be learning in school. Easy pay check for these teachers.

John I. Smith K-8 Center 4

Posted September 02, 2014
Academically is a very good school, teachers are very nice, experienced and my daughter has had an excellent experience since Kindergarten. However the facilities are old and dirty, the school needs improvements and maintenance. PTA is amazing! They work really hard!! The new Principal, Mr. Navarro seems to be a very organized and aware of all this problems and is trying to give his best to help. Parents are very involved and are welcome To participate and collaborate with the school.

Posted March 23, 2014
I think that the teachers are wonderful. They want every kid to do their best. the rigor of the home-learning is a follow-up of the days instruction. I am glad that my kid gets work that relates to grade level skills and not busy work.

Posted February 20, 2014
Mediocre education, lousy teachers and the facilities are completely run down. The school provides a traditional education which does not prepare the kids for the real world. Unfortunately, some parents seem to be thrown-off by the school's rating because it is an A school- but if you actually research the FCAT test scores they are all under 80%, many in the the mid 60 percentile. Also, there are very little resources (music, art, technology, physical education) for the kids to actually be getting something more than just a basic education and the parents have to be on top of their kids homework for them to actually learn.

John I. Smith K-8 Center 3

Posted October 05, 2013
The school is great and my daughter seems very happy and doing great, but some things must change. Security is very weak and school seems a but unprotected. Also, there must be a radical change in dismissal, it is total chaos!! All other schools have car loops and parents dont even have to get out if their cars. That way is safer for our kids and faster to get out if its all in order! They should assign volunteers to help with dismissal traffic. School buses tend to block the exit and nobody does anything to help or change that!

Posted October 01, 2013
John I Smith offers amazing education in a nurturing and caring environment. Parent involvement is high in this school. They offer amazing after care programs which give the kids options for staying active after school.

Posted September 07, 2013
Mi experiencia con la escuela no pudo haber sido mejor. Viniendo de una escuela privada, estaba preocupada al ingresar en el sistema publico. Pero JIS no ha sido mas que apoyarme, aliviar todas mis preocupaciones y ayudar a mis hijos en todas las areas. Nos estamos mudando ahora y me siento muy triste de dejar esta escuela. Las maestras son muy buenas, y la subdirectora Piloto es maravillosa. Mis hijos no se quieren ir. Es una escuela que merece mucho mas reconocimiento que el que se le da.

Posted August 21, 2013
My experience of John I smith is excellent ,excellent teachers that that are good at teaching the students. It has a wonderful gifted program that help the kids get good grades.

Posted May 30, 2013
This school is horrible in all aspects. The teachers don't teach, do not care about the kids and are not prepared. There is no communication with the parents, very little use of technology and the after school programs and after care is a joke. The facilities are old, run down and filfthy. Quite honestly there is nothing positive or remotely positive I would say about the school.

Posted May 16, 2013
This school is disgustingly dirty. The bathrooms reek of urine. The floors and walls are filthy. There's mold growing on the tiles of some classrooms. The walls desperately need to be painted. The paint is peeling off. Definitely does not look like a school you would find in the Doral area. There's NO discipline whatsoever. They mix the little ones with the 6th graders. There's no computers. Some of the "teachers" should definitely not be teachers and the administration is terrible. Absolutely would not recommend this school. It's a shame, because this USED to be an excellent school.

John I. Smith K-8 Center
10415 Northwest 52nd Street, Doral, FL  33178
Last modified John I. Smith K-8 Center is a Public school that serves grades PK-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 8 out of 10 based on academic quality.
John I. Smith K-8 Center Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 66 reviews. Top