1,064 students|Pinellas

Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Strongly disagree (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (2 responses)
Currently, most people answered Disagree (1 response)

As a parent of a 7 the grade daughter who was bullied into a fight then suspended for said fight because she defended herself ,other girls held her while another student struck several blows. Then the officer on duty called my wife to say that some students have told him that my daughter was skipping class when she was in an alternative class room suggested by the school.Now think about it a Pinellas county sheriff taking the word of 12year olds and acting on the info with out consulting or investagating the facts

Develops character: Strongly disagree

this school encourages bullying, lack of respect and a complete free for all during class times

Teacher effectiveness: Strongly disagree

teachers allow students to have passes which enable the students to wander at will during the instruction period.

apparently, it's really cool with administrators and staff that students wander the halls, not going to class, not completing their work and basically accomplishing absolutely nothing during the day, except their rad hang out sessions at the taxpayers expense. after 3 trips to the office (one that included an episode of the 700 club in the front office) and being told there's basically nothing they would do to change my child's schedule, I withdrew her.

I'm very surprised this school even has a five-star rating - you've got to be kidding me! I'm a substitute teacher for PCS after spending 30 years in corporate america and have never been so disrespected in my entire life. Out of 22 students in each of six classes maybe four wanted to learn and take something away from the class. And the sad thing is those who wanted to learn were to intimidated to say a word for fear of retribution. This school was no better than an alternative school or what I would call a school of last resort - very very sad. The vast majority of the students were totally out of control and completely refused to follow even the most basic classroom rules. A good example of this was asking the students to find and sit in their seats to take attendance you'd get total defiance and refusal - not by just one but by many. And as a last resort in asking those who refuse to follow the simpliest of directions to leave the classroom, you get bombarded with every curse word you can imagine, threatened, all the while knocking over or throwing desks and chairs across the room on their way out of the classroom. It is absolutely unbelievable that this behavior is not only tolerated but appears to be accepted as the same individuals who were asked to leave the classroom for this behavior were sent right back ten minutes later with no change at all in their behavior - as if the principal and/or support staff completely refused to deal with the situation - essentially slapping their hand and sending them on their way. I guess out of sight out of mind as far as they were concerned Do yourself a favor - investigate other schools in the area which provide a quality education within a much safer environment. YOUR CHILDREN ARE WORTH IT!!

Develops character: Disagree

I'm certain the teachers try their best however you have to have students who are receptive to developing these characteristics.

I don't think it is that bad I had an older brother go there and DHMS is better than a lot of schools and you people should be happy to be able to go to school and its probably not the school you want to go to but be happy and great ful to get an education because a lot of school's have poor poor poor education but just be happy or greatfull and stop complaining if you are.

This is the worst school I have ever dealt with. All three of my children attended this school. My youngest started in the Fall as a 6th grader and in week two she was punched in the face for the sport of it. Girls especially fight each other, just to fight. The school does little to help. I have been to the middle school 7 times this year and found the administration to be lazy. The teachers aren't any better. My oldest daughter was in 8th grade this past year and was struggling in one of her Reading classes so I contacted the teacher and asked what I could do at home to help. The teacher's response was so rude and uncaring that I was actually taken aback. At the end of the year I signed my youngest daughter up for Pinellas Virtual School and said goodbye to DMHS once and for all. Horrible school!!!!!!!!!

My son started 6th grade in the gifted program this year and the quality of the teachers and the level of communication is great. The Principal is very enthusiastic and tries to get all of the kids involved in school activities. The school spirit and kilt rewards program are great. The school is very clean and the meetings very efficient and professional.

I have gone to this school for 3 years i have to say the first year was bad but then the new principal came and changed everything but we sacrificed our freedom to wear whatever we wanted I'll give the school 4 because I think the dress code is to strict

Last modified Dunedin Highland Middle School is a Public school that serves grades 6-8. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.