Curtis Fundamental Elementary School

Public | K-5 | 536 students

Posted March 22, 2014

My children have attended Curtis since K. I am a teacher myself, at another elementary school, and wouldn't have them anywhere else. Both of my children have become responsible, caring, and excellent students through Curtis. My children have been challenged through the gifted program which in my opinion is top notch. Teachers really do care about the children there and are dedicated professionals. We are proud of the successes that we have achieved both academically and in the community. The facility is always clean, well maintained, and secure. As a working parent, I do not get to volunteer as much as I would like, but I am never treated any less for it. There has not been a single minute in the past 5 years that I have wished for some place other than Curtis for my kids!

Posted October 28, 2013

My child is in his 2nd year of attendance at Curtis. We have been impressed with the professionalism and tenure of the teachers and administration. We feel that Curtis is providing him with an excellent education and that he has both teachers and a support staff that is very caring and attempts to help every child grow. My husband and I are very pleased with the education at Curtis Fundamental.

Posted October 28, 2013

Curtis has the greatest teachers who really care about our kids and want them to do their best. Coming from a parent with a child with learning disabilities, they have supported both my daughter and me as we worked together as a team to help her to succeed. If it wasn't for the support or the teachers and staff, she wouldn't be the student she is today. I know she will succeed because of them.

Posted October 28, 2013

This is our first year here at Curtis and I cannot say enough good things about it. One of my favorite things is the sense of community and family. You always feel like you are welcome and heard.

Posted October 28, 2013

I am so glad we won this lottery! My daughter loves her school and we love her teachers. Wonderful place and staff really care and go above and beyond. This principal has a love for her students that I have not seen elsewhere. wish all schools were like this.

Posted October 28, 2013

I currently have 3 children attending Curtis Fundamental. I couldn't say enough good things about this school. The teachers are great and the principal is very involved. Most of the involved parents are a positive contribution to the school. Some parents may not agree with the guidelines, but they do ensure equitable treatment of the children. My kids love Curtis Fundamental.

Posted October 28, 2013

Great school, great teachers and principal. I feel that the support we have from the school as a whole is more than I ever dreamed of. I have had experience with home zone school and it doesn't compare to this school at all. I am so thankful that we got in on the lottery system. I would never second guess the fundamental way. Having to comment to being 100% involved is a great thing. If you can't be committed than this school is not for you.

Posted October 28, 2013

Ever since our daughter started at Curtis her kindergarten year, we realized how lucky she was to get into such a great school. The teachers and staff go above and beyond to encourage the students to succeed. I believe that she will be able to grow and flourish with the education she continues to receive.

Posted October 28, 2013

This is our 4th year at Curtis, it's an amazing school!! The teachers and ataff do such great things, my children love going there!!

Posted October 28, 2013

As a single minority Mother it was important that my child was able to transition from out of state and not feel lost in such a different environment. I was excited for my Child to attend Curtis but I have to admit I was concerned. Now two years later we have met so many parents and families and the staff and Admiistration are awesome..I'm blessed and thankful I found a school that is commited to education #proudsinglemom

Posted October 28, 2013

My two children are at Curtis Fundamental (5th and 3rd grades). We could not be happier. Teachers are really dedicated to students' success. They go way above and beyond their responsibilities. Love the tradition of monthly Open Court, where students accomplishments and positive character traits are celebrated.

Posted June 12, 2013

This school overall is pretty good. I do feel that some of the teachers are not as caring as others. I am not impressed with the principal though. If you have an issue she just blows it off and bullying is not adressed as it should be. The gifted teacher though is awesome and really goes above and beyond. I do agree about the previous comment about donations. I feel sometimes that the clique PTA members have to much say in what is going on also. Overall I was happy with most of the teachers but there were some that were really bad.

Posted March 15, 2013

My daughter is in second grade and Write up are giving out too freely and some of the teachers hold the smart kids back cause other students are behind instead of challanging the one's that need it. The principle is always down grading the parents. My daughter will not be attending the third grade next year at curtis. Instead she will be going to tarpon fundamental so she can get the education that she rightfully deserves. Parents get involved with the kids education which is really great. I believe that the teachers have to start caring about every child and not just a selected few. What happen to the no child left behind ACT?

Posted March 15, 2013

Curtis only cares about donations and ratings and not the students. Children should not be put on the back burner. Some of the teachers are great at what they do and you have the rest of them that just don't care and scream at the children and when a child does something wrong they do not correct them correctly. My child is advanced for his class and is not getting the proper education because they do not want him ahead of his class. If you have any problems about any of the teachers and you bring it up to the principle she will tell you to go to another school instead of trying to resolve the problems. The school policies are great just not alot of the staff. I want to know who is lying and giving the school 10 out of 10. Please stop lying to everyone and be honest about curtis fundamental.

Posted January 13, 2012

We currently have a 4th and 2nd grader attending Curtis. What we value in Curtis is the Principle, Ms. Metz-Easley, the teachers (all of who have challenged our children), curriculum and diverse approaches they take to making learning fun and long lasting. The Art and Music teachers inspires our children creatively and PE teachers reinforce healthy behaviors (physically and teaches the value of good nutrition). My husband and I applaud the staff of Curtis Fundamental for all they do for the students.

Posted September 9, 2011

Curtis is a great school and the teacher seem to genuinely care about the students. I also understand that they are mandated to " teach for the test" and how frustrating that must be for them. I also applaud the family involvement requirment and would like to suggest that if one family member doesn't seem to keeping the commitment, could staff contact other family members who are listed? Especially in cases of multiple children, it can be easy to lose track of things and this way other concerned family memvers could pick up the slack?

Posted August 17, 2011

Curtis is a great school with parent involvement as the cornerstone of its success. Disruptive students are not tolerated which in turn improves the teachers ability to have quality interaction with the students that are there to learn. There were too unruly children in my daughters class last year and both of them were gone by October.

Posted February 4, 2011

This is the finest elementary school in this part of the county. My daughter has been enrolled for 3 years and I am very satisified with the results. Parent envolvement is required and they have a no tolerance policy that works.

Posted November 9, 2009

We left Curtis after a 1-1/2 years. I thought the curriculum would be more rigorous, but found out it is no different than any other elementary school. In my experience, a child meeting 'end of year expectations' early is not pushed or challenged. In fact, the school said they don't want children to work ahead of grade level, even if they are capable. While I appreciate some elements of the fundamental structure, it sometimes seemed like the rules were more important than keeping a child engaged and challenged. The result for us was an unhappy, stressed child who didn't feel like learning was fun. That being said, the parental involvement and support was wonderful as were some of the teachers.

Posted November 1, 2009

They teach respect for all.

Math

The state average for Math was 58% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

87 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 63% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 53% in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 61% in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 54% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 81% in 2012.

88 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2012-2013

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 0%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

This school has not yet provided program information.

Help other families

Millions of families turn to GreatSchools for help with their
school search. You can help these families by providing
a few details about this school.

Administrators & teachers: Let your school shine!

531 Beltrees Street