Bad
Good

Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)
Currently, most people answered Neutral (1 response)

Good school if your child is a robot. They seem to have little tolerance if your child does not conform to their strict guidelines...and Im not just saying for just outright behavior problems. My child has some special needs and I felt that was dismissed and they insisted it was just his behavior (despite medical documentation showing otherwise). There are definitely some good teachers, but some seemed burned out and like they had lost the passion to do their job to help ALL children. Ultimately took our child out of this school and that was the best decision, as our child has done great elsewhere...and no longer has stomachaches and anxiety about going to school.

Teacher effectiveness: Agree

These teachers at Curtis are some of the best. They have higher level of degrees and have been in their field many years. I wish they had more opportunity and time to teach creatively. However, some may be burned out by just the amount of lessons that need to be shoved onto the kids daily to meet standards. That leaves little time for creativity and patience.

Amount of homework: no rating

I don't mind homework although more studies are showing that homework is really useless and takes away precious family time needed together and causes strife between parent and child especially when parents are not trained in the current process on how to solve math problems which teachers only want the children to learn the way they were taught in the classroom. They really should send home weekly lesson examples to parents. Some of the homework takes my child so long to finish that he is left with no outside time to play, or even take a bath before bedtime. I believe reading should be the main portion or homework and give less of everything else. Limit writing assignments to maybe once a week only.

I have two sons who have been in this school since kindergarten. We are a multiracial family. My husband has a son from a previous relationship who is white. We applied for all of our children into the lottery back in 2009 and were very lucky to receive a phone call stating that my stepson who is the only white child in our household was accepted. I informed the administrator that he has two younger brothers on the list and reluctantly, she added my younger sons on the list. It was fair due to their sibling preference policy. Now I hate throwing out the race card because we all just need to move forward but when racism is blatantly in our faces something must be said. Of course we sought this school out for its high ratings and feel that our children will be around students whose parents were competent like us. Lets face it, schools in poor, crime neighborhoods don't perform well and worst, the children are angry and problematic. That is not a race thing, it's a class thing. You don't want your children going to a school full of "white trash" either due to heavy drug use and more neglected children. Educated black families understand this and want their children to have the best educational opportunities as well through a fundamental environment. However, Curtis white student enrollment is nearly 80% while black/other enrollment is a measly 8% and this is a lottery???? Now there are plenty of black families in close proximity that can easily transport their children. But there is an overwhelming response from white parents sending nasty emails to the Pinellas County Board of Education stating that they do not want their children going to school with black children. This highly conservative school does not hide that diversity is watched and scrutinized closely. My white stepson has not had problems at all navigating through the system even with struggling grades and typical boy mischief behavior...he received very little warnings. Now my biracial children are tormented with warnings for things such as not completing the homework assignment in the right notebook (even though exact assignment was still completed at home on separate sheet of paper and signed). Teachers have even gone as far as to handing them incorrect number of warnings exp. giving my son a 2nd warning when is was his 1st. This is serious!

After two years at Curtis, we chose to leave prior to having another child enter the school. Curtis is the perfect school if your children are perfect. That said, if your child needs any additional support or understanding, go elsewhere! Save yourself and most importantly, your child, the heartache of feeling that they are not a good student. You will not find flexibility or the focus to help your child succeed at this school. The focus is on the rules and regulations.

I'm pretty sure the parent that wrote the 11/23/14 review should have gone to Curtis! It's MORALE, not moral. But more than that, I have found it to be completely the opposite. I think the staff and the principal especially put the needs and concerns of the kids and parents before the teachers or themselves. May not be great for MORALE but happy & well behaved kids = happy teachers. This is a great school, it wouldn't have a 500+ name waiting list if it wasn't. People who can't or don't follow rules don't like it, check your self entitlement at the door, the rules are the same for everyone.

The principal told me that the moral of her staff is more important than the education of the children. I thought the principal, and teachers are there for the kids. Let's speak up for our children and let's not keep any child's education behind. Let's show them that we care.

My children have attended Curtis since K. I am a teacher myself, at another elementary school, and wouldn't have them anywhere else. Both of my children have become responsible, caring, and excellent students through Curtis. My children have been challenged through the gifted program which in my opinion is top notch. Teachers really do care about the children there and are dedicated professionals. We are proud of the successes that we have achieved both academically and in the community. The facility is always clean, well maintained, and secure. As a working parent, I do not get to volunteer as much as I would like, but I am never treated any less for it. There has not been a single minute in the past 5 years that I have wished for some place other than Curtis for my kids!

My child is in his 2nd year of attendance at Curtis. We have been impressed with the professionalism and tenure of the teachers and administration. We feel that Curtis is providing him with an excellent education and that he has both teachers and a support staff that is very caring and attempts to help every child grow. My husband and I are very pleased with the education at Curtis Fundamental.

Curtis has the greatest teachers who really care about our kids and want them to do their best. Coming from a parent with a child with learning disabilities, they have supported both my daughter and me as we worked together as a team to help her to succeed. If it wasn't for the support or the teachers and staff, she wouldn't be the student she is today. I know she will succeed because of them.

Last modified Curtis Fundamental Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades K-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 9 out of 10 based on academic quality.