Dunedin, FL

Posted November 12, 2014
I have had the privelege of seeing and being involved with several different elementary schools in Pinellas County, and this one which appears to be so great and wonderful from the outside, really isn't so great and wonderful, BEWARE!!!! Teachers are not organized at all, and the students academics are suffering because of it. The teachers are also not consistent with homework and tests, and communication is extremely minimal. Highly disappointed, think twice and really look into the schools you are thinking about sending your kids too, this one is such a huge disappointment. Their website looks great and glad they received a high award on their food they provide, lets get those high academic achievement awards for your students as well and brag about those instead, especially the ones who are struggling!! It seems they give up on these students, and you should never give up on any student, you never know what their full potential truly is!! I am so upset with this school, and the lack of student support and encouragement!!

Posted October 06, 2014
Great neighborhood school. Great teachers and staff. A Great Schools 5 star rating because it's a public school that is not allowed to expel students of single mothers, economically disadvantaged minorities, and other parents that cannot devote the time and energy demanded by some of the local 10 star charter schools. Still, an exceptional public school, with a top-notch staff of teachers dedicated to providing a first class education to kids - regardless of their parent's situation.

Posted July 10, 2013
My son has very specific needs and they met them all with a caring hart. I highly recommend this school! My son isn't the easiest kid, but they stuck with us and helped improved him and his learning skills! My son is going to a different school this year, because unfortunately we had to relocate . Before we left from San Jose I had to be very careful on what we put on his IEP. They sat in the meeting with me for about 2hrs to make sure I was happy with the verbiage and all the accommodations! I send my Love and a Big Thank you to the San Jose team!!!!

Posted June 10, 2013
My son attended San Jose a few years ago. He has learning disabilities which they were aware of. At the time he was fairly new to the area and very quiet and shy, yet the principal was constantly accusing him of bullying others based not on anything he did, but things he allegedly said to groups of other kids as he usually walked alone on campus due to his shyness. For little things like dropping his pencil or getting out of his chair they did not allow him to go on a field trip he had his heart set on and the principal kicked him out of the school like 3 weeks before graduation based on something he allegedly said. However, I only wish he had left SJ sooner because it turned out he went to a great elementary and had an absolutely wonderful teacher his last weeks of elementary school and in just a few weeks made lots of friends. There tends to be a lot of gossip among office staff and parents at San Jose, more than at other schools and the principal apparently pays too much attention to this and my son got in the cross fire of it. Such childish behavior by adults and professionals should not be the source of unfair treatment of children. Hope SJ is doing better.

Posted May 28, 2013
San Jose is definitly a diamond in the rough. I am a parent who lives in Garrison Jones Elementary school district who had to have her child moved to San Jose because of bullying. The Principal at Garrison JE just didn't feel it was her responsibility to take care of the kids who are being bullied it was the parents job to toughin up their kids. After switching from that A school to San Jose I have learned the grades down here in Florida mean nothing. This is absolutely a fantastic school.. Yes my daughter has been bullied by one kid but you know what the difference is? The leadership of the school has a ZERO tollerance. There is an amazing parent involvement and the Liaison of the school is AMAZING! She is a wealth of information who is always taking care of making our school more green and keeping community involvement. I also have a love for the Assistant Principal they are all amazing educators. The Principal at San Jose 100% takes care of her teachers and admin. in return they are happy which makes for GREAT teachers. I have not been this happy since I moved to Florida. Don't look at the school grade to make a decision on a school. Those schools worry more about grade then kid

Posted December 03, 2012
My sons, as new students at SJ Elem, felt welcome & secure from the very first day in August. Since then, In only three and a half months, one of my children has risen 4 levels in his reading level through extra during school-time tutoring, consistent daily strategic teaching, and friendly systems for parent-child reading time at home. The other has been tracked for gifted classes, and both love going to school.. Our children's health is a priority there, they have two mornings of an extra 30 minutes of supervised play per week and teach the children about nutrition and cardio vascular health. My first and second graders love learning there, and based on the way the children at San Jose get along in the halls and in class, they have a very effective discipline policy. The staff has been very accessible and professional, including their wonderful principal Ms. Wolcott. Thanks for the daily experiences my sons tell me about, including the specials like PE Art and Music. What an amazing team of a faculty and support staff! Thanks for the daily inspiration that I see in my kids. They work hard there & they love it.

Posted September 13, 2012
This is a great school. Both my kids went there and have moved on successfully. One child was gifted, the other with a specific learning disorder. It is unfair to assess a school by test results when transient students and learning disorders are averaged in with the remainder of the student body. San Jose currently has specialized classes for Autism. Previously they had classes for Emotionally Disturbed students. Take out those scores and you would see a much higher stat!

Posted July 19, 2012
All the kids are mean teachers really don't care...don't send your kid(s) big mistake if you do

Posted March 19, 2010
My son receives therapy at San Jose from the Pre-K program. I have been really impressed with his teachers and the staff. Love this school!

Posted January 21, 2010
San jose is great school with great resources at hand. Parental involvement is lacking at the school and i say this as a very involved parent! despite a post below, pinellas county has a strong anti-bullying program in place! monika wolcott is a very considerate hard working principal and this is her third year at san jose, a five star school which has been selected among the 80 district elementary schools to participate in pilot programs. This is an excellent school with excellent teachers.

San Jose Elementary School
1670 San Helen Drive, Dunedin, FL  34698
Last modified San Jose Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 3 out of 10 based on academic quality.
San Jose Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 25 reviews. Top