Dunedin, FL

Garrison-Jones Elementary School 4

Posted August 15, 2014
The spanish immersion program is rewarding and the teachers are awsome! Both my children are in the immersion program this year, one going into 3rd grade and other going ikn KG. Great school, great staff, excellent teachers. They however need to work on communication with teachers, and work on their healthier lunch menus.

Garrison-Jones Elementary School 4

Posted April 03, 2014
I have a child in the dual language program and I absolutely love it. Having had older children in various other local schools I find the dual language program academically superb. All the dual language teachers seem dedicated and do an awesome job. I can highly recommend this program. As far as the regular class room settings and teachers go, I don't have much knowledge other then mixed information from other parents. The only negative thing I can say is, that (probably due to the size of the school) many big events seem unorganized. Also the front office staff is, as prior mentioned her, not very friendly or helpful. The ladies seem aggravated when asked for something and I almost get a feeling of being a bother. This is not acceptable, since the front office staff are the first to greet a new face. One other thing I have noticed is, that parent involvement (other then connected to the PTA membership) seems unwanted or discouraged. I think that was also mentioned in a prior post.

Garrison-Jones Elementary School 2

Posted September 28, 2012
The teachers at this school are fantastic! The adminstration leaves alot to be desired. They do not work well with the PTA and even ask parents to break the rules of the PTA.

Posted September 28, 2012
I am one of the parents that always raved over this school. I loved everyone, staff , teachers and adminstration. I had heard other complain but never saw it myself. I was a very active volunteer for 9 years and was treated great. Until this year, I was told to only help in class, and ignored when I questioned why. I volunteered to take a prominent position in PTA and was ignored and recieved no answer. I still love the teachers who try their best but the adminstration ruins this school. Past Vice Principals have told me they had issues with the principal which caused them to leave.

Posted September 27, 2012
You guys need to call the superintendent especially the ones that have already left because of this school for good reason because of this principal.. don't go with ridiculous reasons go prepared but don't let her get away with this. She only gets a year to year contract and either she gets rid of the people in her office that doesn't know how to respect people and great them with a smile and talk to them with respect or she can hire someone who can. Its a principals job to step up and lead not her staffs. If she doesn't know her parents and her students then shame on her for not being able to have her own backbone. You need to report her. In Florida you need to set up a meeting with her superintendent I first then if that doesn't work set it up with the county if it gets to the county you will be her and her head will roll trust me! I work for the county! I know who your talking about and she already has a record of not doing her job well and her staff has been reported more then once and there is a big clean house about to happen with this school if something doesn't turn around this year so hold tight!

Posted September 27, 2012
We had very high hopes when picking this school and was inspired by the talk we had with the principal in the beginning. however we noticed very quickly that it was just talk and no action. Even the first day at the school was very awkward and not inviting. The PTA last year was non-existent and this year there was suppose to be a strong one that was 'hand picked' and fell apart before school even started. The teachers seem to be great in the classroom, but I have no experience with them beyond the classroom. if something doesn't change soon they will drop from an A rating (probably should already have but the area we live in is fantastic and many people are still migrating to the area keeping the enrollment high). The leadership needs to change and the parents need to be involved. The current situation is the parents that are leaving fail to complain, they just move on to charters, magnets and privates instead of putting a bug in the ear of those who can make the changes needed like the Super which gets voted in much like the post below me says " {The principal} only gets a year to year contract ".

Posted August 22, 2012
Not sure what the other parents are seeing in this school. They must not be very involved with it. My child is now in his 3rd year here. If I was able to go to a different public school I would! Kindergarten he had a wonderful teacher. However the staff, including teachers are so unorganized. They beg for parent involvement, yet they do 50% of the parent activities during school hours, and the other 50% they do at 6pm. With most household having dual, who can attend these? You can ask a staff member a 10 staff members a question and 10/10 will give you a different answer. This is with everything there, nobody knows what's going on with anything at most times. They need better communication between staff members. God forbid you get a teacher you are unhappy with, they wont move the child. In K my son was in a class with 2 bullies him. I begged to have him moved! Nope! would you believe it, after all the issues, they put him in the same class with both those kids again in 1st grade. They stress no bullying, but when it's brought to their attention, nothing gets done. My son is quiet, gets good grades, and great discipline, not fair he is subjected to this, no child should be.

Garrison-Jones Elementary School 5

Posted February 10, 2011
Excellent teachers. Great communication with parents. Awesome school pride and spirit. I see my 5 year old son flourishing here every day. I see the lessons they are teaching in class carry over into after-school life, such as "self-motivation" and "respect". He may be the only person in the world who looks forward to Mondays so he can go to school again!

Posted October 26, 2010
This school is a circus act. The teachers are wonderful. Sadly I can't say that about the staff. They are so disrespectful, and treat parents like children. One staff member says one thing, another says another, and you have no idea what direction to turn. If you turn the wrong way they literally discipline you like a child. I have always be nice and respectful, and just killed with kindness, but I no longer can handle the staff. I have spoke with a dozen or more parents and all say the same, they may be an "A" school for academics, but they "F" school on how parents are treated. Makes me wonder how the children are treated behind closed doors. Not one parent I have spoke to have said they really liked they school. All have said the same, the teachers are great but not staff.

Garrison-Jones Elementary School 0

Posted April 19, 2010
The teachers and staff at this school go above and beyond to teach academics, as well as foster a sense of community and promote student responsibility.

Garrison-Jones Elementary School
3133 Garrison Road, Dunedin, FL  34698
Last modified Garrison-Jones Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-5. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 5 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Garrison-Jones Elementary School Rating: 4 out of 5 based on 24 reviews. Top