No rating

Dunedin Academy

Private | PK-6

Living in Dunedin

Situated in an urban neighborhood. The median home value is $115,000. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $850.

Posted April 22, 2014

I think Dunedin Academy is a great school I have three children that go here.My son is in 3rd grade but does 4th & 5th grade work! His teacher is awesome!! She is new to the school this year. My two daughters are in 9th grade. They absolutely love it!! They have been going there for four years now & would not want to go anywhere else!! They is no bullying tolerance there!! It is a small school with a big personality!! The principal is like family, you will love it :)

Posted February 2, 2014

I am a student at this school, and I am verry unimpressed with this school and the way it works. They run on the bare minimum in academics, with just math, science, history, and one elective. That's all! Also the school Is dirty and uncempt. When it rains the class rooms leek, the air conditioning in half of the classes doesn't work, and none of the bathrooms work consistently! My opinion of this school is that it is a school for kids that are too sensitive and won't servive in a public school. And for those who have gotten expelled from public schools and this is the only option. If your child fits into either one of those two catagories than this is the school for you, but if not than I recomend that you don't even consider this school!

Posted January 5, 2014

I went to high school here over a decade ago and just found this site because I'm now looking for a preschool for my daughter. While the people who ran the school back then we're very nice, the education was honestly a joke. The high school was basically comprised of kids who would get bullied at a real school, kids who got kicked out of a real school (druggies etc), and a few students who needed a flexible schedule because of other hobbies. We basically chatted with friends in class, did zero homework, and got straight a's. Perhaps they have changed thing since then, but I would never send my child to this school.

Posted August 22, 2013

I love this school I am a Student and i Have a walking problem and trust me there IS ABSOLUTELY NO BULLYING !!!!!! THIS SCHOOL IS GREAT! YOU DON'T HAVE HW. BUT ONLY IF YOU DON'T SCREW AROUND! This school pushes you to the limit. But they still make you feel comfortable. Teachers and the principle are all great! This school is like a family. They go from pre-K till the last year of high school. Teachers and principals are flexible and are always ready to help.This is a great school !!!!!!

Posted January 3, 2013

I think it is more than a school. It is really a community. My daughter has been there 2 years. I teach in the public sector and know what she should be learning vs. what she IS learning. They push the academics, yet at the same time they realize how important it is for family time and my child feeling good about her self! They do not put up with bullying either! Big Plus! It is expensive but my husband and I cannot put a price tag on our daughters esteem, safety or education.

Posted August 8, 2012

I mostly picked this school because it was private and didn't teach religion classes as I prefer to teach my children my views and have my kids go to school to learn the academics. It is a struggle to afford for us and I wish it was free, but we do like it. The principal is very nice and lets you text or call her cell phone whenver you want. It reminds me of little house on the prairie sort of. I know the academics are what they should be as I was a teacher for 25 years in New York and stay on top of that. I wish it took infants but does not.

Posted June 23, 2012

The school has been under new mgmt the past year and a half! I am very happy there. After Mr. Porter died the school struggled I heard from other parents but now it is being run in my opinion better than any other school. My daughter gets FREE tutoring as much as she needs it. I even had her tested privately and she is above where she should be academically. I look at the books they use and the spelling words and compared to Sunshine standards they are at a minimum a year ahead,.. My children are above average students that I am speaking of. I do know they have a separate program for special needs I heard was great but I cannot speak for that as I do not know! I do not care that they don't have a gym or a NEW perfect campus. That is not what is important to me at a school! I know they care about my children and care MORE than any where else I have been, The principal gives out her cell number and text me a picture of my daughter once when I was worried about her! Where else would I get that! I definitely think it is worth the money I pay for the peace of mind I have!

Posted February 28, 2012

I have two children that currently attend this school. I have a High Schooler and a 5th Grader. I can tell you from my observations and having my children here for a couple of years, this school has been fantastic. I graduated from UF with a Masters in Education, and what I am seeing here is what every school should practice. An atmosphere that includes an involved principal, teachers who care, and a constant striving for improvement around campus is something I commend them for. This school has been fantastic for my children, and I wouldn't have chosen anywhere else to send them.

Posted January 4, 2012

i was a student here for many years and believe me, you don't want your children attending this school. The work they gave us was way to easy, it takes 10 minutes to complete and its usually work that is a couple grades behind public schools (bad education). We were bored most of the day so we brought our cell phones and just listened to music and watch movies in class, right in front of the teachers and never got in trouble for it. The students themselves were nice and just as annoyed with the school. We could leave almost whenever we wanted to if you could walk home you could just walk right out of the campus. If you want your child to have a good education instead of free ride through all of school don't send them here

Posted June 15, 2011

I attended this school for several years, and I must say it leaves a lot to be desired. Some of the teachers didn't seem to care about classwork. They would put assignments out that took 10 minutes, and we sat bored a lot of the time. We did lots of classroom assisting with other teachers, but a lot of times we just sat at a corner table and talked. When I left the school, I was behind in so many areas I almost needed to repeat grades. They chased away the one decent math teacher they had two years before my family gave up on me succeeding in their program. If you want your kid to skate by, this is a school for you. It's easy to make straight A grades at this school. -- They are nice to their students, sure. Just too nice. I experienced a lot of rude, spoiled peers and teachers who couldn't care less. You'd expect more at such a small private school. I am grown now, with my own family. You can put money on the fact that my children would never attend this school.

Posted May 19, 2011

Dunedin Academy is a fantastic school! Don't believe any of the bad comments, most likely their child got expelled or wasn't even excepted in the first place. I am forever grateful to the caring staff and nice students.

Posted January 8, 2011

[Enter your review here]My older child went here and did great, and is graduating from college this year. He had bright futures, speaks several languages fluently... My younger child was enrolled in the 2 local Catholic elementary schools in the Dunedin area, and they were both a tragic disappointment. Those schools catered to a select few parents and the rest of the children and parents suffered as a result. I personally saw bullying, nepotism, and discrimination occur. I am happy that I took him out. At Dunedin Academy I immediately saw that the math is at least a year ahead of OLL and the reading program is more focused. If you want your child to have a great nuts and bolts academics along with teacher accountability and honesty....then this is the place to go!

Posted July 21, 2009

Dunedin Academy DOES have art, music and spanish as electives as it should be. If you want your child to be an art student at school then yes go somewhere else then. We wanted our children and now grandchildren to actually have an education which is excatly what DA gave them. English, Math, Science and History is what an education should include. Art etc. should be limited. Look at test scores of schools that focus on the arts and compare them to DA'S CTBS scores or their collegboard scores (THAT ARE GRADED NOT BY THEMSELVES)!

Posted August 16, 2008

My older son went here. My younger one is at GACS. Dunedin Prep had more dynamic, kind and caring teachers as well as the leadership which seems to be undercover at GACS

Posted July 30, 2008

The teachers are excellent, the classes are serious but not stressful, and any child could benefit from Dunedin Academy.

Posted February 13, 2008

I was a student, and it is awful! Filthy, I learned absolutly nothing that I didnt already know. They make kids sweep and beat rugs, clean for the teachers. No electives at all. Not a good choice, dont do it to your kids, keep them safe and educated.

Posted November 14, 2007

This school is lacking in a lot of areas. There is no music program, art program and no library. There are virtually no hands on learning tools and no science labs for the older kids. When my daughter was in the pre school, I took her into the bathroom and it was so dirty and smelled strongly of urine. I do not recommend this school at all.

Posted October 13, 2007

This school is not what it was supposed to be. We thought it would be better and safer than public school, not!. It is dirty,old,and alot of the students have discipline and/or learning problems. Just be sure to check out all other options before choosing here.

Posted July 14, 2007

Amazing. Teachers are amazing. Especially Mr. U and Mr. Murray. School is amazing. Don't care what everyone else says, it's called opinion.

Posted July 11, 2007

Wonderful, wonderful school. They prove that you don't have to have brand new state of the art equipment to get kids to learn. It's like it was growing up, they are there to learn not to see the latest and greatest computer program and unecessary crap. My child went from a 1.8gpa to a 4.0 having college credits from being dually enrolled with SPC. I couldn't praise this school anymore than I already have because it's just great.
—Submitted by a former student

Asian 0% N/A

Associations
  • SACS/CASI
Fax number
  • (727) 733-6696

Specific academic themes or areas of focus

• Religious