Dunnellon Middle School

Public | 6-8 | 628 students

Posted yesterday

I posted a review on this school that has magically been removed. Why would that be? Is it because I called out Marion county for neglecting the schools in Dunnellon OR could it be because I stated the building they are sending these kids to school in is older than life itself and should seriously be taken care of? There were no vulgarities, no out of line comments so why was it removed??? This school is way out of date and quite franklin I believe it is a health concern. Lets talk about the notifications that went home to the parents concerning the tanks that were at one time under the schools and are now causing issues in the soil. OR could it be that I pointed out the fact that this school is rated a D and the teachers were clearly telling the kids they have to do good on their FCATS or they will fire the current teachers and hire teachers that will just give them more homework? Guess what that type of coaching didn't work because they got rated a D yet again this year. I am not sitting around making this stuff up it is just truth! I guess I should expect this post to be removed as well? I gave one star because there was not an option to give no stars

Posted June 3, 2014

I see all these reviews and the rating of this school and I am honestly astonished. DMS has a lot of academic opportunities that you probably could not receive at any other schools, it's up too the student to take advantage of it. This school had a lot of fun aspects to it, but yet it was still very academically concerned. For example, my 7th grader was pulled by Mr. Rocker just to remind her that she needs to bring her HW. Mr. Smallridge is AMAZING too! Much better than that old principal. He is actually involved with the student body! The parents are involved, but not that much, which I dont have a problem with because all 3 of my kids LOVE it there and how independent they felt!

Posted July 1, 2012

This is a wonderful school! my son has been going here for 2 years and he will be in 8Th grade next year! he had some "peer" issues but solved easily with the help of dean Thomas! the problem stop right away and the children got dealt with properly. the teachers are very helpful interactive caring people. the staff was very nice and helpful One of the science teachers won science teacher of the year award. i would recommend this school to anyone!!

Posted May 8, 2012

I only gave 1 star because there was no option to give none. I talked to teachers and guidance before sending my children there; they warned me highly against it; due to transportation issues I had no choice but to send my child there.The dean Murphy must have been an angry prison guard somewhere, bullying students and singling them out for harassment. My child had straight A's and was in advanced programs, he has threatened to quit school if i send him back there next year. He will be going to Belleview or Lake Weir High where the staff is actually qualified and that atmosphere of the buildings and rooms are clean and kept up.

Posted February 29, 2012

Every parents nightmare... My daughter is in 6th grade at Dunnellon Middle.. Im not even sure where to begin .. the first problems start with a female coach at the school that is allowed to humiliate children..example: a heavy set boy was looking for a pencil as the coach was speaking.. so in front of 2 full classes the coach exclaims.. "what are you looking for a cookie?!?" how horrible.. she also acts like she cant read and calls Hispanic boys named Jose Josie.. on several occasions she was rude to my child fortunately I was able to get my daughter out of her class.. next there is a teacher who if your child scores under a 95 on anything he gives it back and gives the child a 55 F until they get the 95.. so even if your child turns in a 91 A he/ she will be required to do it over and over or will be given a 55 F instead of the 91 A they originally turned in.. I understand teaching "mastery" as the teacher calls it but there is no way my child should be given an F just because she didnt get an A+.. my daughter had a C in this class.. after raising cane to get this changed my daughter's grade went from a C to a B in 1 week.. prior to DMS my daughter was an honor roll student.

Posted August 20, 2010

I dont have any reviews to give about this school but I noticved that alot of these comments are dated. Are there any parents out there that have experience with this school in 2010? I am considering sending my son here for fall of 2010 and would ike to hear some more recent feedback from parents...my child has some learning disabilities and will need some extra support from the teachers and staff....will he get it at DMC?

Posted October 9, 2009

This school totally disappointed me. My daughter started in this school after having an excellant academic run at Romeo Elementary(A honor roll every year). She started in this school, and in three weeks the staff had her not wanting to attend there anymore. The guidance counsler(Sugar?) was of no use when I tried to get involved, asking for help. After five weeks in this school, and feeling that my daughter would possibly lose her love for school, I pulled her from DMC and enrolled her in a private christian school. Needless to say, my daughter,my wife, and myself are sleeping better at night, knowing that she will continue to get a better education,with an added bonus of having god loving teachers that love and care about her. Be careful parents! Stay involved with your children's education, and make sure you know whats going on with their enviroment. They're your biggest investment.

Posted September 10, 2008

I'm reading alot of bad things for DMS and not good.I do not feel this is true,I am involved in my sons grades and I talk to his teachers all the time.The best teacher at DMS iS ms.Wiggins.Out of all my children they all loved her.

Posted June 10, 2008

The facility is older then I am. It is a property that has been denied the funds it needs to bring it into this century. Some of the older teachers are very pleasant and motivate the children. It has an excellent FFA

Posted August 5, 2007

I have not been too impressed with the teachers at the middle school. I tried to get them to help implement some things with my oldest daughter to no avail. I don't know how I am going to get through another year with this school if the teachers don't get more involved with the students and teach them something besides how to pass the FCAT.

Posted July 8, 2007

Could not get teachers to communicate in most cases. Was refused a parent conference because 'it was too late in the school year.' However, teachers would not return phone calls. I don't think my son has learned anything in the past two years. SAC meetings are so early in the day that parents can't be involved... probably because they don't want to have any input from us. The whole even/odd/half block/half not schedule sets up students for failure.

Posted April 22, 2007

I am so glad that I do not have to deal with the faculty at this school again! There are a few good teachers, most don't have the time for one on one with the students. I have had some dealings, with Mrs. Thomas and found her to be helpful.Some of the teachers would rather let students write them letters telling them why they wouldn't like to do an assignment that grade the assignment.Amd if you student tries to do the assignment and it isn't quite right, they get no credit for even trying. When the students who wrote the letters get credit..is this supposed to be fair?? I feel sorry for all the parents whose kids attend this school!

Posted July 18, 2006

I agree with the last comment. I too an not happy with DMS. We moved from another county where the teachers did care about thier students. Here at DMS I myself have had issues with the way the Deans run the school and the Principal has no say in anything. My child was in advanced classes and DMS did not offer anything. Unfourtunately, I still have another child in this school and what surprised me the most was that my other child who's academic grades were not the greatest and was failing three subjects got promoted and the one with the learning disablity was held back. The school here in Marion County in my opinion stinks. They are more concerned about themselves and not the children.

Posted January 15, 2006

I have had children go through DMS under the leadership of 3 different principals. The current principal, Jane Ashman, is pitiful. She does not support extra curricular activities. She has done away with the Drill team, Drama CLub. THe Student Council, which used to participate in numerous community activities has fallen to the level of non-existence. All advanced curriculum has been taken away so that advanced learners are no longer challenged. THis is so disheartening. I am to the point that I cannot wait for the end of the school year so that I no longer have to deal with Dunnellon Middle School and it's lack of proper leadership. I am currently saving money to send my last child to a private school rather than have to deal with DMS again.

Posted October 25, 2005

Some teachers good, some bad. Overboard on disciplinary issues. Guidance department is useless. Lack of communication between teachers and administration. Principal seems to be way in the background and not helpful.

Posted March 15, 2005

Their band director/chorus director, Mr. Stallings, is coolest teacher!!
—Submitted by a student

Posted August 6, 2004

Mrs. Thomas, the dean is useless. I've contacted her about issues with my son. She says she will look into things and call back and never does. Some teachers are good, others not so great. Hope to see an improvement on dealing with parent concerns with new principal. I personally will not deal with Thomas again if I have any concerns this year.

Posted July 7, 2004

This school is o.k. Some of the teachers are great some are bad what else can you say... The parent involvement could be more and they are having a new principal this year so you never know what that will be like. Overall it is a very good school.

Posted November 18, 2003

The teachers are more into rules then teaching. No room for child advancement! Teachers not taken to task after many parental complaints.

Math

The state average for Math was 53% in 2014.

209 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 60% in 2014.

209 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 56% in 2014.

207 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

206 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Math

The state average for Math was 47% in 2014.

Reading

The state average for Reading was 57% in 2014.

202 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Science

The state average for Science was 49% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 56% in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 78% in 2012.

214 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "C".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "A".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 66% in 2014.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 68% in 2014.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2014.

U.S. History

The state average for U.S. History was 65% in 2014.

Ethnicity This school

Teacher credentials

Classes taught by non-highly qualified teachers 11%N/A5%
Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Assistant principal(s)
Nurse(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school community.

Arts & music

Arts & music

Music
  • Band
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

21005 Chestnut Street