No rating

Discovery Days Institute Of Learning

Private | PK-8

Living in Edgewater

Situated in a suburban neighborhood. The median home value is $76,200. The average monthly rent for a 2 bedroom apartment is $870.

Posted July 18, 2014

My girls have attended this school since they were 3 years old. They have excelled in every class testing out well above their grade level. It is an awesome school with a beautiful setting and my girls love it!

Posted April 29, 2014

My daughter has been going to this school for 5 years and I am thrilled with the level of education she is receiving!! This school goes above and beyond, meeting each child's individual needs. Their activities and projects are always unique and exciting, keeping the learning fun and challenging. I highly recommend this school!!

Posted April 2, 2014

This is a wonderful small private school in Edgewater Florida. The classes are small and the teachers are incredibly dedicated. The school thrives in focusing hands-on learning. All the students take part in annual Shakespeare plays that build their self-confidence. Fourth-eighth grades take part in student congress and debates. This is a wonderfil program that teaches to think critically and debate on past and current cases. Discovery Academy, also incorporates a competive drama club that has achieved many accolades and honors. This school is truly one of a kind! My children love to go to school everyday and that is priceless!!!

Posted January 23, 2014

My son attended VPK here during the 2012-2013 year. When he began school at Coronado, he was so ahead of any other kid from other neighborhood vpks it was astounding. You had to wonder what they did all day in the other places. We had to switch him into gifted due to his total boredom and how he stood out from kids just learning letter sounds and how to write basic letters. We did change to Chisholm, where he is in fact challenged. But he misses to this day, what he calls 'learning in an exciting way every day.' At Dscovery he came home bursting to tell me about his day, and in public he is learning, but less energized. I think the results will be equal but he enjoyed the journey more at DA. I recommend wholeheartedly the VPK. The school owners and administrators are extremely intelligent and dedicated, and I think they would take any parent concern seriously. You really feel cared about there. And every teacher loves his or her job...the public school teachers may also, but they are so stressed out. It's unfortunate our society can't resolve some of these problems, but DA is a strong alternative to them.

Posted January 18, 2014

My younger daughter started 2 years ago and I moved my older daughter at the end of last year. Best decision ever. My kids love to go to school, I'm very impressed by the quality of the education provided by the school and the teachers. They listen to the parents and have made some accommodations for my kids to thrive. The kids are not numbers, they are treated as individuals. They are trying to teach the kids the love of learning, not just skills for the tests. Big change of pace from the public schools. Absolutely love it!

Posted January 8, 2014

I have both my children enrolled at Discovery and can give a point of view for both the Kindergarten-3rd grade and 4th-8th grade programs. Both of my children started at Discovery when they were in Kindergarten. My oldest is now in the 4th-8th grade program and he is always busy learning new things, including hands-on science experiments, latin words, keeping a historical journal, an award winning drama program, debate, world geography (last year my oldest competed in the national geography contest and received a perfect score!), music, and architecture. There are several project-based activities that students engage in throughout the year. My youngest is in the K-3rd grade program learning through hands-on science experiments, Shakespearean play performance, art classes that teach famous artists and masterpieces, as well as hands-on math, language arts activities, cursive writing, and many exciting social studies projects throughout the year. --Busy mom of 2

Posted November 12, 2013

First of all, no school should be one size fits all. When considering ANY school, think of the best fit for your child and go by in person. Discovery has an open door policy for parents and encourages students to shadow before enrolling. Teachers treat all students as unique and gifted, valuing different learning styles and allowing each child to develop their special gifts in a safe and stimulating learning environment. Teacher's are selected, to teach in their field of study and enthusiasm, and Discovery's top test scores are a reflection. Ask around: local high school teachers love to get Discovery students, and most graduates go into Honors and IB, often with waivers into advanced AP classes, in which they excel. Also note Discovery is the only school in the area that many parents actually take the time to post a review. This is significant, since most people tend to only post when something is wrong. The few negative reviews here seem malicious and fake and most likely posted by the competition.

Posted September 29, 2013

Southeast Volusia Co. is so lucky to have Discovery Academy! Our daughter has attended this school for eight years and we have nothing but wonderful things to say about it. Her 2nd grade teacher worked really hard to get our daughter to overcome her shyness and she is a different child now. Thanks for your dedication. We also want to thank her 6th grade teachers for taking such a personal interest in our child and for caring so much about teaching. They are all exceptional folks and it is obvious that they teach because of their passion for the field. I would like to also thank the Discovery volunteers for all of the hours of hard work that they give to the school. We working parents appreciate it tremendously! The only improvement that I can suggest would the addition of a Discovery high school.

Posted September 29, 2013

Discovery is a fantastic school. My child has really blossomed there and the teachers are fantastic!

Posted September 29, 2013

Discovery has allowed my child to reach her full potential. She complains all weekend that she can't go to school. How many middle school students love school that much?

Posted May 29, 2013

Discovery Academy is the best thing that ever happened to my children. They are challenged as individuals to rise to a level beyond what they can imagine. Each child is treated like they can achieve anything, and it works! These are regular, everyday kids who get to explore topics beyond their grade level, which gives them a taste of what is to come later on in school. Instead of being a completely new topic, they can say that they did it in 4th grade! The certificates of achievement on a national level that the kids bring home is amazing. Next year there will be an added layer of learning with the institution of the ipad initiative for 4-8 grade. There will also be a grade portal similar to the public schools, so that parents can check on assignments, grades etc. on a weekly basis. One of the teachers for the K-3 grades won a Crystal Apple award this year, that speaks for itself! And last but certainly not least, the joy of sending my children to school in a uniform every morning takes the mystery out of "what to wear". The students all look a little different in their uniforms, because they are individuals, but there is no one-up man-ship with what they are wearing.

Posted April 30, 2013

My 12 yr. old son has loved his Discovery Academy. The environment is so much better than the public middle school where he attended 6th grade. NSBMS was a good school, but he was being bullied, sexually threatened, and his self-esteem there was terrible. I have seen my shy, depressed son change into a happy, confident, respectful, humorous teenager. My son LOVES Discovery Academy! He can't say enough good about Mr. Al's advanced math class and magic tricks, Mr. Dan and his science experiments, and Ms. Nancy and her plays and journal writing time. Last year NSBMS caused so much anxiety it made my son physically ill. This year my son loves school and learning. He even likes dressing up in a shirt and tie to attend middle school! He likes doing his homework and researching projects on the internet. All the students enjoy learning, since the distractions like swearing, bullying and drugs are gone. Thank you Discovery Academy for making your learning environment safe, fun, and an extraordinary. The school offers: public speaking, debate, drama and computer game programming. All the kids get recess, even the older ones. i wish DA would teach high school graded 9-12.

Posted June 26, 2012

My daughter attended this school from age 3 1/2 to 14 yrs. There were many others also that continued until High School. This was the best thing I ever did for her, she learned so much and was very content there. It was truly a wonderful environment. I never had to worry about bullies or negative behavior, as they are not tolerated there. If I had to do it all over I wouldn't change a thing! Great School!!!

Posted June 26, 2012

From her first day at DA, our daughter was made to feel excepted and loved by her new classmates and teachers. The curriculum was challenging but exciting to her, with lots of hands on learning and always teaching up. The classes were small and her teachers positive encouragement made her love of learning blossom and grow beyond both her and our expectations. Mr. Al took her under his wing and made a young lady who didn t care much for math into Queen of Math , scoring a 105% on the AMC 10 (a 10th grade national math test) and scoring 100% AMC 8 and the AMC 12. Ms. Nancy turned a shy, quiet young lady who would never stand in front of an audience and speak, let alone sing or dance into quite a Ham by encouraging her to try out for Thespians. Needless to say, she went to State this past Spring and received an Excellent. Mr. Dan the Science Man made each class an adventure, never knowing what may explode, catch fire, multiply, disappear, or take flight! He made the periodic table come to life! From plant/animal cells, mitosis, genetics to the constellations, he has truly given her a strong foundation that will take her to the next level! Thank you to my DA family!

Posted June 25, 2012

As an educator of 28 years, I must say that Discovery is what every school should be! The teachers inspire a life-long love of learning that is truly amazing! They teach to the whole child through individualized instruction that enhances and builds on each child's strengths while giving them a safe place and the encouragement to improve their weaknesses! The Science and Math courses are challenging by any standard and the Language Arts Dept. inspires a love of literature of all genres. My husband and I were truly blessed to have our daughter attend Discovery! A start at Discovery gave her the ability to thrive in an extremely challenging International Baccaleaureate High School. Learning her multiplication tables by the first week of first grade and being introduced to Shakespeare, too, in the Elementary grades really gave her a headstart, not to mention Mr. Dan the Science Man inspiring her love of Science and propelling her to get the highest grade in her senior class in IB Biology! Thank you all at Discovery!

Posted June 25, 2012

Stand outside at dismissals and speak to our REAL PARENTS, TEACHERS AND STUDENTS, then decide for yourself. You will see and feel positive energy and enthusiasm for learning, respect for students, teachers and staff and a clean, safe and exciting learning environment next to none. For safety, classes and grounds are monitored by cameras,and a keypad entry with an open door policy for parents and grandparents. Discovery students come back to thank their long-time teachers and bring their own children back! DA is a classy school that ranks highest in academics and high expectations and doesn't tolerate negative parents or staff that do not focus on the best for the children in their care.

Posted April 30, 2012

Discovery is so peacful my son daydreamed his school days away.Well it is time to wake up son. When was the last time you seen Dicovery at a local or state competition? Me never. If the did get the 20 k for thier drama classes(INSTEAD OF SCHOOL WORK) They would only want 20 more. That you will see them grubbing. Why no post since 2010. Oh they were being Tranquil here in Edgewater.

Posted April 30, 2012

Terrible school. No learning happening, more like expensive day care. Wouldn't recomend to worst enemy

Posted October 21, 2010

Not only is my child learning so much but the teachers are so kind.

Posted October 9, 2010

Discovery Academy is an extraordinary small private school in Edgewater. Many people do not really know much about us. We have a outstanding drama and arts program and compete regularly in both district and state competitions. Our math AMC champs have placed 1st in Forida as well as placed in world competitions. Our students have also placed 1st in Florida State Stock Tournments as well. These are just a few of our accomplishments. Since we are a small private school our funding is very tight and falls upon our parents and their generosity. We can definately use the $20,000 for our drama and other programs as well. We also treat each student as an individual and create a program of learning for all levels. Thank you for letting me share some of our accomplishments and please give us a call to see our facilities and bask in our peaceful and tranquil setting in Edgewater.
—Submitted by a teacher

Asian 7% N/A
Hawaiian Native/Pacific Islander 2% N/A
Asian or Asian/Pacific Islander N/A 2%
Two or more races 0% N/A
Source: NCES, 2009-2010

Teacher resources

Special staff resources available to students Art teacher(s)
Computer specialist(s)
Dance teacher(s)
Math specialist(s)
Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
Reading specialist(s)
Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
Teacher aid/assistant teacher
Tutor(s)
Read more about programs at this school
Source: Provided by school officials and community members.

Special education / special needs

Specialized programs for specific types of special education students
  • Specific learning disabilities

Science, Technology, Engineering, & Math (STEM)

• Computer specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Robotics/Technology specialist(s)
  • Computer lab

Arts & music

• Art teacher(s)
  • Dance teacher(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Performance stage

• American sign language
  • Spanish

Health & athletics

School leaders, update and verify information here.

Before school or after school care / program onsite
  • Before school

• Spanish

• Art teacher(s)
  • Computer specialist(s)
  • Math specialist(s)
  • Poetry/Creative writing teacher(s)
  • Reading specialist(s)

• Video / Film production

School culture

• Chaperone school trips
  • Join PTO/PTA
  • Organize fundraising events (school auction, bake sales, etc.)
  • Volunteer in the classroom
School leaders, update and verify information here.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

227 North Ridgewood Avenue