Eglin Elementary School 2

Posted July 18, 2014
My son attended this school from K - 3. K 2 were great. During 3rd grade, he had a teacher who was newly assigned & a new principal. The class got off to a very slow start (at the end of 9 wks, they were still in Ch 1 in Math). I brought my concerns to the attention of the teacher & principal, but little changed. I requested my son be assigned a different class but was not supported by the principal. Throughout the year, communication from the teacher was struggle. When inquiring when tests were going to be or where the class was with the material, the teacher was always defensive. Although my son did very well, I never knew where he stood. It would take an average of 2 weeks for grades to post & up to 3 weeks for papers to come home. Finally, there was very little focus on writing for the 3rd grade. When asked why, I was told the grade chair made the decision to focus on one good paragraph rather than writing multiple paragraphs. So, my son is now working on intros, body & conclusions to ensure he is ready for the writing demand of 4th grade. I believe my son would have thrived with more communication & academic challenge. He will not be returning to this school next year.

Posted May 15, 2014
Eglin Elementary has been the best for my daughter! She has learned so much while attending. The teachers have all been very kind, and her teacher is very attentive. I have always been able to contact her teacher easily. I get communication multiple times a week in a communications folder. I have only had a few issues that needed to be addressed, and they were handled immediately and to my satisfaction. I recommend Eglin over any other school in the area!!

Posted March 26, 2014
We moved to Eglin AFB in 2011 and my child started kindergarten with Ms. Clemmons. Great progress was made that year. Mrs. Crawford was the 1st grade teacher and I could not be any happier with these ladies. My child loved them and the grades and progress showed what a wonderful job these teachers have done!! My other child started kindergarten last August with Ms. Clemmons which brought my husband and I great happiness because we already knew her and the wonderful teacher that she is. My child has an Amazing 2nd grade teacher, Mrs. Agnew who has gone over and beyond for our child and we are so grateful to her for her hard work in the classroom. Principal Samac is Awesome!! I see him helping the teachers at the car ramp or walking around the school greeting everyone. This school for me and my family has been a blessing these years. Whether you live on base or off the base, I highly recommend this school. It is challenging but in the best interest of the children. I hope that our next place to call home will have another school like this.

Eglin Elementary School 4

Posted June 24, 2013
My son has attended Eglin for 2 years and I could not be happier! We got off to a rocky start in Kindergarten, as his teacher was just not making the grade. The principle was very open to my concerns and quickly found a replacement for his teacher. After that things were so smooth. First grade was a breeze as well! We are coming up on second grade and my son will be returning to Eglin in the Fall. My only concern is the PE staff, I do feel that they require to much from such young children. I think it is because they are prior military. Other than that I have no complaints. The environment is safe, challenging, warm, friendly and I couldn't be happier!

Posted July 27, 2012
My daughter's time at this school has been a challenge but wonderful. She has been going for 2 1/2 years and I am greatful for all of the time and attention she has received from the staff. Third grade was really stressful because of FCAT, but she passed. I don't fault the staff for the stress. I feel it was the pressure from the state beauracracy. When we first got to Eglin, I wasn't used to pace and maybe some parents that reviewed feel the same way. They had my 1st grader running 1/2 mile for PE. I think the staff is attemmpting to challenge the students out of their comfort zone, nothing too hard. In 2nd grade my daughter was having problems in math and the teacher called me to conference with a math specialist who told me what I could do to help and even gave me her phone number. In 3rd grade, my daughter received after school tutoring. I didn't have to seek out any of this, they came to me. Now I make it a point to sit down with her while doing homework vs. leaving her to fend for herself like my parents did. I also work and having the youth center next door is a godsend. When she turned 9, she became a member. Childcare went from $5000/yr. to $50/yr.

Posted July 26, 2012
Was very very disaponte in the school, teachers and staff. My son only when here for 1, and that is all we can take. We are looking into other schools for him. Hopefully we will fine one that care about the students and thier education. All my consernts were not cared about. And most of the time the staff was very rude to me. My son loved school in PK and K in a diferant state. Was always happy and loved going to school. We moved here the begening of his 1st gread. I put him in Eglin sence I dint know the town well yet and I thought it would be nice sence I work on base. In this past year he came home crying many times beging me not to make him go back. Witch is not like him b/c he is very socail. He said his teacher was mean and would make fun of him a lot! When I talked to her about it she said that is how she trys to make them calm down! I hate this school and fell awfull I put my son in it. There r so many bad things I could tell but there is not enough space. Please reserch school lot before your kid or kids go there. I wish I knew that before

Posted March 31, 2012
If you have a special needs child with an IEP or 504 Plan, do not enroll your child at this school. They do everything they can to drag their feet with following your child's plan as a way to try to justify your child no longer needing it (i.e. services, accommodations, etc). Its all about funding or the lack thereof with this school. Run away fast!

Eglin Elementary School 4

Posted March 09, 2012
My daughters have gone to this school for the past four years. I am happy with Eglin Elementary and its teachers. My husband and I are involved, and my daughters love the school. Communication with thei teachers has not been a problem for us. Our younger daughter has had problems this year staying on track and her teacher has worked with us a lot. There is a nice library and a good gifted program. They also have choir and a physical education program. I just hope I can find a school that meets my expectations as well once we move to another location.

Posted March 06, 2012
I am having issues with this school in that it IS LIKE pulling teeth to get them to follow my child's 504 plan. I have called district and had spoken to the person that handles 504 several times and faxed countless paperwork of my child to district and have heard very little. If for some reason, I am "blocked" I will allow my child to finish out this year but will definitely put her in private school or home school her depending on the cost. This school is awful.

Posted December 11, 2011
The worst school I have ever had my kids in. School barely does what's required for them to do. If you have a child who has an IEP, take them anywhere else. It's like pulling teeth to get them to follow what's on it. I have never encountered anything like this anywhere else.

Eglin Elementary School
200 Gaffney Road, Eglin AFB, FL  32542
Last modified Eglin Elementary School is a Public school that serves grades PK-4. It has received a GreatSchools rating of 6 out of 10 based on academic quality.
Eglin Elementary School Rating: 3 out of 5 based on 19 reviews. Top