Lemon Bay High School

Public | 9-12 | 1261 students

In the know: Get our expert advice on schools

No articles are available

Posted April 28, 2013

Lemon Bay High School was terrific in the old school building which my daughter liked because it had character. Of course it was very old and needed to be rebuilt. I can only imagine how wonderful it will be with the new buildings and technology. From the office workers to the principals, the staff was pleasant and caring. The teachers really want the kids to succeed. Their career guidance counselor is a jewel; the best I've ever known.

Posted April 27, 2013

LBHS is being completely rebuilt from the bottom up. The new school is very close to completion, will be state of the art and beautiful. I am glad my daughter went here. Their arts program, particularly the theatre program, is one of the best in the state. There is an overall atmosphere of acceptance among the students with regards to race, religion and sexual orienation. Some of the administration and teachers are set in their ways and can be difficult to deal with, but overall the experience my daugher had was amazing. Is it a perfect school? No. However, it is better than most and I highly reccommend this school.

Posted October 1, 2012

The teachers are ok. Its a small town school with small town aspirations. The 9th grade registar is a Nurse Rachet. Not a nice person. Everyone else I came in contact with is pleasant. My child will be attending HS elsewhere next year

Posted September 17, 2009

My grandchildren go to lemon bay and they have caring teachers who try there best to help kids learn.

Posted November 17, 2008

I am curently atending LBHS and it is awsome it is old (but not filthy like another post had stated) but i personaly like that because of all of the history it holds. We also have a great honors education program, it may not be the biggest but its the best. and although all football team has been on a loosing streak since it was built all of our other sports are good. Expecaly our vollyball team(State Champ runner up 08 baby). But the #1 reson you should send your students to LBHS is Mr. Ramsy, he truly inspires and mentors every student who walks through his door.
—Submitted by a student

Posted November 26, 2007

I love this school.. I have had three of my 6 kid in lbhs and they love it as well yes it looks old gee my husband went there and he's no young chickin but the staff there rock and they alwways have things going on for the teens. Lbhs keeps them busy and keeps them learning and keeps them happy its not whats on the outside that counts its all that good that happens under the roof!

Posted March 6, 2007

This is the best Charlotte County School. Although I am a graduate of Charlotte High, this is the school I prefer my children attend. The staff are always helpful and really care about the children.

Posted April 12, 2006

The academics at Lemon Bay are not the most impressive, however a wide variety of courses adds interest. Strong Science and Physical Education programs (my daughter lost 15 pounds from participating in daily PE- and she hates sports!) kept my daughter loving school. The athletic programs seem okay, the drama department is always putting on one show or another. Facility wise, the school is aging quickly, but a young and youthful staff give energy and bring excitement to the school. Besides my daugther loves her teachers, because 'they are so cool!'

Posted January 30, 2006

Basic studies only, poor leadership in athletics and Deans, school is old and filthy, too many portable classrooms. Experience among teachers and leaders extremely low. Very little community involvement. Academics quality poor, very few alternative electives. Very poor use of judgement when appropriating school funds. School not recommended.

Posted December 2, 2005

although this school is sometimes referred to as the 'wonderbread' school because of the lack of majority, overall i am happy with my child going here. every school has its weakness but i feel lemon bay is one of the better high schools to go to in this area.

Posted May 3, 2005

Lemon Bay High School is the only public h.s. in Englewood. The atmospere is good and has a small-town feel. Nothing is extraordinary at Lemon Bay, but nothing is particularly lacking orwoeful. It is situated firmly in slightly above average in academic programs, sports, the arts, music and parental involvement. Safe, consistent, yet not all that inspiring.

Posted February 19, 2005

This school teaches to the FCAT and not subject matter. It seems to exist solely for testing and sports/extracurricular activities.

Posted January 5, 2005

I am really happy with Lemon Bay High School. The teachers and staff are so good with the students, they are always willing to go above what is needed. I highly recommend this school.

Posted October 22, 2003

I currently attend Lemon Bay and it isnt a great school, I don't feel that everything I have to offer is currently being used. Students creativity can be dampered. Teachers try, but alot of them have become out of touch with the kids they are teaching. Becasue of that alot of them aeturning to other things that will stimulate them.

Posted August 13, 2003

I just recently graduated in 2003 from Lemon Bay. I enjoyed my time there. I do nt believe that Charlotte County is #1 in drugs. I cannot recall at anytime that me of any of my many friends were ever given a survey asking about drug use. No one knows where they got that information because no one was surveyed. It's impossible. Cities like Miami and Tampa, or even Sarasota are worse off in drugs than little Charlotte County. So don't look down on Lemon Bay. True, it has its share of druggies, but the school as a whole is a a fun, safe and enjoyable learning place.
—Submitted by a former student

Posted June 25, 2003

I think it should be noted here that Charlotte County, FL children have the highest drug use in the state, this includes Lemon Bay High School. I think the dicipline here is awful and teacher-parent communication is terrible. i have my youngest child at this school and my three oldest went up north, and believe me, there is no comparision in the quality of the teachers overall, but especially the discipline area. kids here get away with way too much! I have been very disappointed with my youngest child's education here.

Posted June 24, 2003

The teachers are very good. Now with standardized testing more of the studies are geared toward test scores and I think that schools like LBHS suffer; the curricular was broader before to the benefit of students but this issue effects all public schools today. Lemon Bay is still one of the best High Schools in FL. My wife was a teacher and my daughter is a teacher up north now and they agree.

Posted June 2, 2003

That school is not what i wanted for my kids.

Posted May 7, 2003

My children graduated in 1984 and 1986 and now I have grandchildren that will graduate 2003 and 2005. Most of the same teachers are there and seem to care about the kids. The current principle and the future principle have been associated with this school for that long also. I have been involved with the sports program with both my children and my grandchildren and I have found that these kids are respectfull and mannerly, as opposed to so many of the other schools that we have played against.I truely believe that the coaches have something to do with that. Their behavior is exemplery. They need to be commended. It is a shame that this school doesn't get recognized for this.They only get noticed if something bad happens in the school. Catherine Hess (parent and grandparent)

Reading

The state average for Reading was 53% in 2014.

303 students were tested at this school in 2014.

n/a

Reading

The state average for Reading was 55% in 2014.

289 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 64% in 2014.

281 students were tested at this school in 2014.

Writing

The state average for Writing was 84% in 2012.

322 students were tested at this school in 2012.

2010

Scale: % scoring at or above level 3

Source: Florida Department of Education

• In 2011-2012, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2010-2011, this school received a grade of "B".
  • In 2009-2010, this school received a grade of "A".
  • In 2008-2009, this school received a grade of "B".

Algebra I

The state average for Algebra I was 64% in 2013.

209 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Biology I

The state average for Biology I was 67% in 2013.

271 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Geometry

The state average for Geometry was 64% in 2013.

246 students were tested at this school in 2013.

Ethnicity This school

Source: FL Dept. of Education, 2011-2012

• MR. BOB BEDFORD
Fax number
  • (941) 475-5260
Note: Data provided by community members,
needs to be verified by school leaders.

To learn more about enrolling, please call the school.

2201 Placida Road